Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my magnet has found a new home for a week or so- see if I can train my Mille to start growing up and away from the front glass. It is on a main rock that isn't easily moved so had to give this a try. This Mille is a growing machine-yesterday I had a small 2-3mm space to slide the magnet in- tonight it's touching? hope this works! here's some quick ipad pics

0a12e80f56d22e4de4345ee801792964_zps422a

830536b1f35db5bc622a13a3dc1aaaf8_zps1d8f

Wow, is that the bubble gum milli? Look at that pink!

No that's another Mille that's grown into a good size colony with some nice color........here's my Bubble gum- slower grower but it is encrusting now- hard to get a really nice pic of its color- top down view shows it nice but I haven't gotten a good foto of that

imagejpg1_zps72901198.jpg

It's killing me how fast you got some color while I'm suffering through an extended brown spell. :( I have no patience.

Ah, that milli has been in there a while. Just reviewed the thread again. I also have a bad habit of overestimating the size of this tank, it looks so big, but it's only 16 gallons. :D

I'm really liking millis, they seem extremely easy to grow, all I need is the color.

It's killing me how fast you got some color while I'm suffering through an extended brown spell. :( I have no patience.

Ah, that milli has been in there a while. Just reviewed the thread again. I also have a bad habit of overestimating the size of this tank, it looks so big, but it's only 16 gallons. :D

I'm really liking millis, they seem extremely easy to grow, all I need is the color.

Thanks! Yup - just a crowded 16?. I don't feel my lighting is anything special- the AI Nano is nothing to crazy- do you think feeding can increase color? I know everyone talks about lighting but I feed liquids ( roti,oyster and Phyto) and reef chili religiously every night . i really like the Mille's too- I've stayed away from some of the harder Acros because I don't feel my light will be strong enough- I think the hardest one I have is the Bonsai- in the back middle- it is doing well and growing but doesn't grow crazy fast like the Monti's- at this point that's a good thing

Feeding definitely helps color.... just have to balance food w/ quality parameters.... and use quality foods ;)

? I think so too- the amount of food our corals get in the ocean has to much so much more than we can ever give them

your tank is so beautiful and matured. what's your feeding schedule now? same as in the OP?

Thank you very much! Ya pretty much - I (actually my wife) feeds some pellets and flake during the day to the fish and I feed as the white lights are almost off about 4 drops of each- roti, oyster and Phyto feast and a small bowl(supplied) of reef chili mixed in with a small amount of mysis/marine cuisine for the fish nightly. I was also feeding in the mix some of Doc's Eco eggs - which I liked but it got to old and had to throw it out. Thanks for cking things out ninja! Your tank was one of the ones that really inspired me when I joined this site?

Daily feeding definitely growing those sticks nicely! Out of space in three, two, one... :)

A page or so back I see another of those 'mystery' corallimorphs has poped up. Getting bigger? Noticing any added color?

Daily feeding definitely growing those sticks nicely! Out of space in one, two, three... :)

A page or so back I see another of those 'mystery' corallimorphs has poped up. Getting bigger? Noticing any added color?

Getting a little bigger- not much color still the slight green with the white ends on the tentacles - here's a crappy pic ( shot through the algae on the glass) how about your little hard coral- can you see it still?

49f7f97bc1138e01b395e771b187d663_zpsc360

Getting a little bigger- not much color still the slight green with the white ends on the tentacles - here's a crappy pic ( shot through the algae on the glass) how about your little hard coral- can you see it still?

Looks really cool, though! Let me know if you ever feel like parting with one as I'd like to see how it does in my Shroomy tank (I can trade you for something in my tank, if you like).

Unfortunately, the little hard coral didn't make it. It was so tiny that I think the drop of glue I had to use to keep it in place did it in.

Looks really cool, though! Let me know if you ever feel like parting with one as I'd like to see how it does in my Shroomy tank (I can trade you for something in my tank, if you like).

Unfortunately, the little hard coral didn't make it. It was so tiny that I think the drop of glue I had to use to keep it in place did it in.

Ya I like how they look- Bummer on your hard coral...........how do you think I could remove the Corallimorph- afraid I might tear it apart trying

Say hello to my little friend ( said in a Al Pacino voice) Blenny- fairly easy to get a good pic

fcdcc1edf79ce37014880c96ac485b44_zps3d1c

Clown.........not so much

588e6483ee1daa7275881c9f44311edb_zps15a9

13b058a69d877ffccdaea4a559a42869_zps861c

Ya I like how they look- Bummer on your hard coral...........how do you think I could remove the Corallimorph- afraid I might tear it apart trying

Best way is to take a small flathead screedriver and use a hammer to chisel the live rock at a shallow angle all around the base of the Shroom in a circle. The rock chunk comes out, the coral is unhurt and it already has a base that can be glued anywhere.

Most live rock is quite porous, so it's easier than it sounds.

Bonsai coral

095d042e0ac1a242161738bece37b2c3_zpsc98a

1dd012904a9ae534d9e2460b1ca4c9bf_zpsb697

Tube worm cluster thriving under my Digitata - with some brittle star legs sticking out

66a71e924101814ec3c20a7d9b6e0512_zps1ce0

Best way is to take a small flathead screedriver and use a hammer to chisel the live rock at a shallow angle all around the base of the Shroom in a circle. The rock chunk comes out, the coral is unhurt and it already has a base that can be glued anywhere.

Ah.....might be a little tough as is- but in the future If I upgrade I can for sure?

Ah.....might be a little tough as is- but in the future If I upgrade I can for sure

Sounds good. The way everything is growing I think that an upgrade will be sooner than later :)

Tearing it wouldn't be a big deal... it will heal itself and you would have 2+ lol

Great shots as usual..... I take it still no red mille?

Tearing it wouldn't be a big deal... it will heal itself and you would have 2+ lol

Great shots as usual..... I take it still no red mille?

Ya- their on odd pieces that I would have to remove . Red Mille- funny you should say that- I've had to travel last few weekends and haven't been able to make it over to my lfs(only open Friday's and Sat. Without an appointment) I just text 'em today asking how they are doing and if he still has any- didn't hear back yet- hopefully he saved my one...........then that's my last one for awhile?. Ya right!

Ya- their on odd pices that I would have to remove . Red Mille- funny you should say that- I've had to travel last few weekends and haven't been able to make it over to my lfs(only open Friday's and Sat. Without an appointment) I just text 'em today asking how they are doing and if he still has any- didn't hear back yet- hopefully he saved my one...........then that's my last one for awhile.

Yeah hopefully!

Ya right!

Hey look theres another spot for a coral :) lol

Polarcollision

Hey! I have that same bonsai coral. You mentioned that it was tough - true story here too. It was really on the fence about living well until I started dosing iodine. Purple color came back and polyps are out twice as far. Maybe that would help you too?

That coralimorph looks really cool. At first I thought it was a branching frogspawn, except the mouth...

Hey! I have that same bonsai coral. You mentioned that it was tough - true story here too. It was really on the fence about living well until I started dosing iodine. Purple color came back and polyps are out twice as far. Maybe that would help you too?

That coralimorph looks really cool. At first I thought it was a branching frogspawn, except the mouth...

Thanks for the info- looks like I need to get another test kit?. I was hoping my weekly 5 gal. W/C was handling a lot of the other elements but I am sure that's not the case to all. I will try that for sure. What level do you keep you iodine? Does it get used up daily or are you making adjustments weekly? Any recommendations on a test kit and iodine brand to dose? Thanks for sharing ?

Archived