Coral Vue Hydros

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Thinking about making the switch from salifert test kits to redsea. Redsea' reef foundation 3pk (Alk.,Ca.,Mg.) has more test per item and substantial cheaper. I blew through my Saliferts's fairly quick- anyone have any input between the two?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about making the switch from salifert test kits to redsea. Redsea' reef foundation 3pk (Alk.,Ca.,Mg.) has more test per item and substantial cheaper. I blew through my Saliferts's fairly quick- anyone have any input between the two?

Yes. I have no clue when to stop reading the Red Sea alk test. The how-to video says 'and now it's pink so you're done', but the card says it needs to be red. And if you keep adding reagent, it does turn red. Help.

Your tank looks amazing! its given me a few ideas of how i want the end product of my tank to look like. Coming from a new guy in the hobby.. how much dosing are you doing with such a small tank and so much sps??

Yes. I have no clue when to stop reading the Red Sea alk test. The how-to video says 'and now it's pink so you're done', but the card says it needs to be red. And if you keep adding reagent, it does turn red. Help.

Hahaha your post made me laugh out loud- jeez I hear ya! I was hoping Red Sea might be better at an exact number but I guess that's what you get from a hobby level test kit. I've been using Salifert's Mg. And Ca. And it's like it turns color but.......it turns better with one more drop- so I split the difference. Same with my Tropic marine KH test. The Hanna phosphate cker is cool - only because it's digital- I get different reading 3 times in a row- I take the average . The only "tester" I've really enjoyed and can't live without is my Milwaukee digital refractometer. It's awesome- same number after multiple test- super stoked on that! You have to ( well u don't have to but I do) calibrate it each time but it takes seconds

Your tank looks amazing! its given me a few ideas of how i want the end product of my tank to look like. Coming from a new guy in the hobby.. how much dosing are you doing with such a small tank and so much sps??

Thanks ! So I started everything from frags and kept up on parameters for about 4-5 months with weekly 5 gal. Waterchanges- as corals grew -then I started dosing- I had too big of swings on parameters- with waterchanges only- livestock never really showed it though- I am at 30ml Alk 30ml Ca. Magnesium has been an odd one- I elevated to around 1400 which took a lot and now it seems to stay around that with 5-10ml additions. I dose twice a day- morning/night! Getting a doser next month as a b- day present so it should improve things . Get some test kits and get comfortable testing- you'll be amazed at how it changes from day to day. Don't worry about making numbers perfect - your corals will tell you-Water changes done right are your friend and always make a positive difference- I would say try to make them weekly if it fits into your schedule thanks for cking things out!

I love your tiki room :wub:. That's an amazing deal on that marlin too...wow! So cool!!!!! I'm an estate sale junky LOL.

Ya! We love the Tiki room- the other wall has some awesome tiki mugs- my wife has a great collection? estate sales yes- she got me hooked - I found a cement mixer and a bunch of cement tools that I use building my backyard at a great deal- now I am always looking you never know what you'll find!

You have one of this nicest tanks I have ever seen. Everything looks to be flourishing! Great job.

Wow- thank you very much- that is very nice of you to say. Thanks for cking things out

3/24/14 filled er up! Still a pup @ 7 months- getting to be a chess match lately- did a little tweaking on everyone tonight.........might come home with a red Milli tomorrow ?

Looking good man, love the Clowns and that Setosa is really nice - I need some of that in my life. :lol:

Hey- thanks - ya I am stoked on the setosa- hopefully it will take off. The clowns are a happy pair?

wow talk about fits like a glove. lol tank looks great awesome job.

Thanks ! Yes there is still a little room thx for cking things out!

Thanks ! So I started everything from frags and kept up on parameters for about 4-5 months with weekly 5 gal. Waterchanges- as corals grew -then I started dosing- I had too big of swings on parameters- with waterchanges only- livestock never really showed it though- I am at 30ml Alk 30ml Ca. Magnesium has been an odd one- I elevated to around 1400 which took a lot and now it seems to stay around that with 5-10ml additions. I dose twice a day- morning/night! Getting a doser next month as a b- day present so it should improve things . Get some test kits and get comfortable testing- you'll be amazed at how it changes from day to day. Don't worry about making numbers perfect - your corals will tell you-Water changes done right are your friend and always make a positive difference- I would say try to make them weekly if it fits into your schedule thanks for cking things out!

im just starting to really check parameters now that i put the new sps in the tank. Hoping the regular water changes will keep everything steady until i can afford to invest in some dosers.

im just starting to really check parameters now that i put the new sps in the tank. Hoping the regular water changes will keep everything steady until i can afford to invest in some dosers.

That's how it starts......next you'll be researching calcium reactors ya you should be fine with regular waterchanges for awhile

So I've been wanting a new fish for some time now- to liven up my clowns and add some additional movement- my lfs has been quarantining a tail spot blenny for over a month now- I finally pulled the trigger yesterday- what a cool little guy- so much personality- I think we are gonna be friends. Not sure on a name yet- gotta see what comes to mind?

imagejpg1_zps82b39aa2.jpg

imagejpg2_zps3ac24443.jpg

imagejpg4_zps9cfc8a09.jpg

imagejpg3_zps74fed49d.jpg

Is your tank a Gen2? Love the way it looks man!

Thank you! I believe it is- I sent Brian @ IM my serial number and he said I have nothing to worry about I hope he is right? I still need to take measurements and really ck.- still won't add a powerhead though

dang great pics. those are pretty badas&. great personality

Thanks- been wanting one for awhile- seems like a different commitment getting a fish?

CUTE!! :wub:
Yes- lots of color actually

Also added an Emerald crab- hopefully he'll take a liking to my bubble algae- got a really small one so hopefully he won't become to much of a wreaking ball

imagejpg5_zpsa3d6c62e.jpg

Archived