Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

I haven't begun yet. The first water test will arrive soon and then I will get my first reading. I am going to monitor alk between ICP tests (about once month for 2 or 3 months). If I find some notable problems that the Triton brand supplements can help with I will try their stuff, but for now the plan is just to use the ICP to get a good picture of my water chemistry. That is awesome that your monti digitata (fingered monitpora) is giving everyone the proverbial digit.

Yes my Monti is full of personality shall we say!! What are the cost associated with using Triton?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes my Monti is full of personality shall we say!! What are the cost associated with using Triton?

Each test is $50. I want to see what is going down in my system and then I will take the necessary steps to correct, whether that means using the Triton products or otherwise. I guess what I meant when I said I am going to use the Triton method is that I'm going to use their testing to get my tank as close to seawater as I practically can.

Each test is $50. I want to see what is going down in my system and then I will take the necessary steps to correct, whether that means using the Triton products or otherwise. I guess what I meant when I said I am going to use the Triton method is that I'm going to use their testing to get my tank as close to seawater as I practically can.

Sounds interesting - keep us posted on how it goes

How are you liking the NuVo 16? My fiancee just approved that I can get a 10g but I think I might convince her with the IM16 (BRS Starter since it adds up around the same). Hoping there is a lid included or that I can make a Plexiglas lid so her cats wont get in it etc.

Looks like it is growing pretty decent.... like everything else in your tank :)

Thanks - ya it is growing- actually becoming a cool little piece! Wish I knew what it was

How are you liking the NuVo 16? My fiancee just approved that I can get a 10g but I think I might convince her with the IM16 (BRS Starter since it adds up around the same). Hoping there is a lid included or that I can make a Plexiglas lid so her cats wont get in it etc.

I really like the tank- it looks great , is functional , the back and has some great add on capabilities that are made specifically for it- reactor, skimmer- I am concerned with the breaks and cracks that people are experiencing with the tank. I don't beleive IM has stopped making them so apparently they(IM) feel it's not still an issue but I don't think I would buy one now after reading all the threads or at least make sure I am getting a recently produced one. I think hanging a powerhead by the front curve or pointing it at the curve is a no no- just be aware of that. I upgraded my pump and added two spin streams so I get plenty of water movement. It does come with a glass hood- but mine would fog up so I purchased the screen kit and made one- really easy- at least that's what my wife said when she made it. I would call IM and talk with them about the issues and see what they say- research some threads on here- sounds like a real nightmare. Sorry- don't want to push you away from the tank just want you to be aware. Thanks for cking things out

I dont plan on using a powerhead if it can be sorted with a Y head and stronger pump. I will look into the cracking issue, if that really is the case then I might have to find a different solution. But thanks for letting me know!

Get the IM fusion 20. It is almost the same dimensions as the nuvo 16 but it doesn't have the curved corners which is where all of the cracking originates from. I got a nuvo 16 four months ago and can't express how much I regret it. I check the darn thing every day for cracks or leaks. I'll be upgrading as soon as I decide which tank I want as a replacement.

The new ones allegedly have thicker glass and aren't a concern. I have read different times where people got ahold of the company gave them the purchase/ build date and were sent a new one because they were concerned because there have been ALOT of IM16 cracks. I don't know if they still will but worth a shot if your concerned about it (rightfully so).

Get the IM fusion 20. It is almost the same dimensions as the nuvo 16 but it doesn't have the curved corners which is where all of the cracking originates from. I got a nuvo 16 four months ago and can't express how much I regret it. I check the darn thing every day for cracks or leaks. I'll be upgrading as soon as I decide which tank I want as a replacement.
I feel your pain, 4- months ago- maybe you have a newer one

The new ones allegedly have thicker glass and aren't a concern. I have read different times where people got ahold of the company gave them the purchase/ build date and were sent a new one because they were concerned because there have been ALOT of IM16 cracks. I don't know if they still will but worth a shot if your concerned about it (rightfully so).
Great information Chris! I sent a picture of my serial number to IM and asked if I should be concerned- they said " not to worry your tank is fine". Still not feeling all warm and fuzzy

Is that the same package as the Nuvo16? I mean without the additional stuff added by BRS? Thats what I planned on getting.

Is that the same package as the Nuvo16? I mean without the additional stuff added by BRS? Thats what I planned on getting.

Yup it's the same package as the nuvo except it comes with a screen top instead of the glass. Whatever you decide to do don't get the stock lights with the package. You'll just end up replacing it in a couple months.

I feel your pain, 4- months ago- maybe you have a newer one

Great information Chris! I sent a picture of my serial number to IM and asked if I should be concerned- they said " not to worry your tank is fine". Still not feeling all warm and fuzzy

Thats a good idea. I'm going to do that.

If they say yours is in the newer batch you should be fine I haven't heard of any issues with the new ones just the old.... but I totally understand and wouldn't be jumping for joy.... atleast not around the tank lol

If they say yours is in the newer batch you should be fine I haven't heard of any issues with the new ones just the old.... but I totally understand and wouldn't be jumping for joy.... atleast not around the tank lol

That is what BRS told me as well. The Gen 2 apparently fixed the faulty glass. I might look into getting the 20g if I do find newer posts somewhere.

If they say yours is in the newer batch you should be fine I haven't heard of any issues with the new ones just the old.... but I totally understand and wouldn't be jumping for joy.... atleast not around the tank lol[/quote

Yes- tread Lightly for sure

Your tank is the best Nuvo 16 I've seen - Everything looks really good. I can't even get my single frag of hammer or zoa to fully open up.

What's your secret? ;)

Thank you very much! I appreciate that- keep up on your maintenance and really look over your livestock before you buy! Try to keep parameter as stable as possible!

Found the little guy all closed up for a bit yesterday- looks kinda nemish now- change any opinions on what it is?

imagejpg1_zps6f5d0b27.jpg

My Shroom rock

imagejpg16_zps6d5e99dd.jpg

Archived