ReefCleaners.org

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Purple Stylophora Macro shot

imagejpg8_zps0a70db4e.jpg

Here's my next battle- Millepora growing toward my Monti. - growth is a blessing and a curse? ok pretty much a blessing

imagejpg2_zps5fb9fbcf.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nano sapiens

Fairly fast- a hermit walked over him yesterday and he closed right up but not all the way. I am wondering about how much light it wants- it expands large during the day so I feel it is wanting light- maybe if it had more direct light it would color up more.

Yeah, likely so. A slow aclimation to more light would very likely stimulate pigment production.

Yeah, likely so. A slow aclimation to more light would very likely stimulate pigment production.

Thx- so what are you leaning towards it being? Yuma? Or nem? Or ?

Nano sapiens

Thx- so what are you leaning towards it being? Yuma? Or nem? Or ?

'Or' at this point :)

Might be able to narrow it down a bit if you know where the LR came from? (I'm assuming Indo-Pacific, not Carribbean). If it was a Yuma, I'd expect to see at least some hints of bumps on the mouth column. The mouth also looks quite large for a Ricordia. Certainly not a Rhodactis or Discosoma.

It appears to be a 'Shroom, and if so my best guess would be a Pseudocorynactis species ('Corallimorph from Fiji'). Quote from 'The Reef Aquarium - Vol 2' pg 32 & 33 (Sprung/Delbeek):

1. Column red orange, maroon or brown, having clear slightly pigmented tentacles with white tips or orange tips.

2. Largest of the family Corallimorphidae. Pedal disk to at least 10 cm. Oral disk to at least 10 cm with tentacle span to at least 20 cm. Tentacles numerouse with ball tips. Tentacles expand both night and day. Column thick, but soft. Tentacles EXTREMELY sticky.

3. Does not close up into a ball, but infact resists contracting the tentacles even when heavily disturbed. It does close up at times, forming an irregular conical shape rather than a flattened button.

Occurs in caves in shallow water on the reef front, upper slope and down the slope into deep water. Frequently hang upside down.

4. Very hardy in captivity. Should be placed in a slightly shaded position where it receives intermittent strong water current

5. Feed at least once a week, but for rapid growth feed daily.

6. Not safe with small fishes when larger due to extremely sticky tentacles

Check to see if the tentacles stick to your finger well. If so, then that's a good indication that it is a Pseudocorynactis species of some type. In that case, probably best to leave it where it is since the conditions look to be fine for it.

'Or' at this point :)

Might be able to narrow it down a bit if you know where the LR came from? (I'm assuming Indo-Pacific, not Carribbean). If it was a Yuma, I'd expect to see at least some hints of bumps on the mouth column. The mouth also looks quite large for a Ricordia and it doesn't look like any Rhodactis I've ever seen.

It appears to be a 'Shroom, and if so my best guess would be a Pseudocorynactis species ('Corallimorph from Fiji'). Quote from 'The Reef Aquarium - Vol 2' pg 32 & 33 (Sprung/Delbeek):

1. Column red orange, maroon or brown, having clear slightly pigmented tentacles with white tips or orange tips.

2. Largest of the family Corallimorphidae. Pedal disk to at least 10 cm. Oral disk to at least 10 cm with tentacle span to at least 20 cm. Tentacles numerouse with ball tips. Tentacles expand both night and day. Column thick, but soft. Tentacles EXTREMELY sticky.

3. Does not close up into a ball, but infact resists contracting the tentacles even when heavily disturbed. It does close up at times, forming an irregular conical shape rather than a flattened button.

Occurs in caves in shallow water on the reef front, upper slope and down the slope into deep water. Frequently hang upside down.

4. Very hardy in captivity. Should be placed in a slightly shaded position where it receives intermittent strong water current

5. Feed at least once a week, but for rapid growth feed daily.

6. Not safe with small fishes when larger due to extremely sticky tentacles

Check to see if the tentacles stick to your finger well. If so, then that's a good indication that it is a Pseudocorynactis species of some type. In that case, probably best to leave it where it is since the conditions look to be fine for it.

Wow- thanks for the information. Sounds like the right description- I'll ck on how sticky the tentacles are tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to do the research. I'll also ck on the rock next time I am at my lfs

Nano sapiens

Wow- thanks for the information. Sounds like the right description- I'll ck on how sticky the tentacles are tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to do the research. I'll also ck on the rock next time I am at my lfs

No problem. I remember reading about this obscure to the hobby 'Shroom a while back.

Curious to know if it is a Pseudocorynactis as the larger species are quite rare and not collected specifically for the hobby.

I really think if it reacts instantly it a nem, if it's anything less than instant, even as quick as a few seconds, it's most likely a shroom.

I'm looking at the Nuvo 16 for Christmas. You're growing these corals with the two stock lights plus the Nano AI? Good to know. Low to mid $200 is better then $430+ for the Razor Maxspect I was looking at. But then again I'm paying more for the kit and not just the tank. Decisions, decisions.

Everything here is so pretty o.o

Thank you! Appreciate u cking it out

I'm looking at the Nuvo 16 for Christmas. You're growing these corals with the two stock lights plus the Nano AI? Good to know. Low to mid $200 is better then $430+ for the Razor Maxspect I was looking at. But then again I'm paying more for the kit and not just the tank. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, stocks and AI nano-definitely get the controller too. I also have a heavy feeding schedule. Ck out their spin streams and reactors- very nice.

Will do. Yay the spin streams were on my things to get. I might be pm you before long with some questions. Tank looks great! BTW - is it better to get the full package or just the tank and add from there. I might have to crunch the numbers.

Will do. Yay the spin streams were on my things to get. I might be pm you before long with some questions. Tank looks great! BTW - is it better to get the full package or just the tank and add from there. I might have to crunch the numbers.

PM me anytime- are you talking about the full pkg from BRS? It's nice but I like the options of getting specific items you want. I have a really good lfs and I am a fan of live rock not dry. I upgraded my pump too- not something you need to do right away but I would put it on your list. I got the Sicce 1.5 ( expensive@ 70.00) but worth it and with the two spin streams I haven't had to add a power head in the tank- I like how it looks without them. Also the glass top tends to fog up- BRS sells a really nice screen top kit that I would recommend. Start cking craigslist regularly - it's part of my routine- u can get some pretty good deals on power heads and heaters for mixing salt etc.

Like this one.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nano-16-nuvo-aquarium-innovative-marine-015c11191cbf983956d7c19e3434c0cf.html

or I could just buy the tank only for $200. Might opt for the one from BRS and get the stock lighting. I'll save money on the stand (which is $200). I'm pretty sure I can make a good one for around $50.

I thought my LFS has this Nuvo with the stock lighting, etc. but no stand for $283. I'll have to check again.

Like this one. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nano-16-nuvo-aquarium-innovative-marine-015c11191cbf983956d7c19e3434c0cf.html'>http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nano-16-nuvo-aquarium-innovative-marine-015c11191cbf983956d7c19e3434c0cf.html

or I could just buy the tank only for $200. Might opt for the one from BRS and get the stock lighting. I'll save money on the stand (which is $200). I'm pretty sure I can make a good one for around $50.

I thought my LFS has this Nuvo with the stock lighting, etc. but no stand for $283. I'll have to check again.

If your planning on adding the AI Nano I would definitely get the stock lighting - the Nano doesn't extend all the way to the ends enough- at least for the SPS coral I like to keep- the stock light balance it out nice. Or you could get the tank w/ out the stock lights and get a wider covering light - like the Razor. I scored my tank w/ stock lights, AI Nano and ATO all on Craigslist . The tank was brand new- never had water in it- SCORE! One thing u should budget in is an ATO- auto top off unit- it will make like easier and keep your salinity constant. I keep a 3.5 gal. Container with RODI water and it last about 10-14 days. . The 283.00 price from your lfs seems pretty good- cheaper than BRS

Mr. Microscope

Wow! Just found your tank. Very nice! Love all that SPS Your pink milli looks really happy. Looking forward to more.

imagejpg2_zps5fb9fbcf.jpg

lol! Your monti is giving your milli the finger. ;)

Wow! Just found your tank. Very nice! Love all that SPS Your pink milli looks really happy. Looking forward to more.lol! Your monti is giving your milli the finger. ;)

Thanks! Ya the pink Milli is a growing machine at the moment. The Monti- We call him #1?

Started some Rod's food tonight- clowns and shrimp seem to like it- there's some big pieces in there!

I've never tried Rods, the LFS I used to work at and my friend owned stocked it but I never even broke any out to feed the tanks there.... but I have heard good things about it :)

I've been thinking about just making up my own food soon tho.

I've never tried Rods, the LFS I used to work at and my friend owned stocked it but I never even broke any out to feed the tanks there.... but I have heard good things about it :)

I've been thinking about just making up my own food soon tho.

It seems to be pretty good. I used to make my fish food a lot before but never for coral- that'd b fun- have to start researching it for sure.

It seems to be pretty good. I used to make my fish food a lot before but never for coral- that'd b fun- have to start researching it for sure.

I would think that for a tank this size making your own food might be a bit cost ineffective or end up with a ton of food for years especially in a SPS dominated tank but it'd be sweet if you had a group or atleast a few local friends to split it up with.

If I do it I will likely do an "all included" general food with larger chunks for fish and LPS with liquids and fine particle foods for SPS and filter feeders. That said I've got a few hundred gallons on ya so would use it a bit quicker I'm sure lol

I would think that for a tank this size making your own food might be a bit cost ineffective or end up with a ton of food for years especially in a SPS dominated tank but it'd be sweet if you had a group or atleast a few local friends to split it up with.

If I do it I will likely do an "all included" general food with larger chunks for fish and LPS with liquids and fine particle foods for SPS and filter feeders. That said I've got a few hundred gallons on ya so would use it a bit quicker I'm sure lol

U got me there- my bottle of reef chili will take forever to use. I really like the liquid foods- roti, oyster and Phyto - you should ck out the Doc's Eco eggs too

U got me there- my bottle of reef chili will take forever to use. I really like the liquid foods- roti, oyster and Phyto -

Yeah once everything is said n done for the year I should be around 600-700g total volume lol. All good choices of food that I have used in the past as well. The chili and oyster seemed to be preferred in my systems over the others.

you should ck out the Doc's Eco eggs too

I've actually never even heard of it.... looking into it right now actually :)

Yeah once everything is said n done for the year I should be around 600-700g total volume lol. All good choices of food that I have used in the past as well. The chili and oyster seemed to be preferred in my systems over the others. I've actually never even heard of it.... looking into it right now actually :)
6-700 really? Wow

Doc's Eco eggs brew is the one I use

6-700 really? Wow

Yeah.... I run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement (where all but the main display are) each rated for 2x my total house size LOL

Doc's Eco eggs brew is the one I use

That stuff looks pretty good! I just watched a video of the eggs version not the brew and wow the fish went nuts!!! Thanks for letting me know about that I will very likely add that to the list of stuff to add if I make it, if not I might just pick up a few anyway lol

Archived