Pod Your Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That birdsnest is looking great! What are your lighting cycles?

Thanks, ya it is growing nicely. Blue Lights go on @ 11:00 am ramp up for 1/2hr . Then whites come on at 1:00pm -1/2 hr. Ramp up. Whites start ramping down @ 9:15 for 1/2hr. Then blues ramp down @ 10:30 for 1/2 hr. I run the stock lights which are first on and last off and the AI Nano- which ramps up and down. I am thinking the good growth is more from the dusk/ nightly feedings than my lights since the AI Nano only really has the 3 light spectrums- it's not nearly as powerful or full of spectrum as the higher end lights. I tend to think there's not enough emphasis on feeding coral.

Ha! Yes it does! Back to the nightly feedings tonight! 1st time the tank was without supervision- only for 3 days- but still had me nervous .

Understandable, I get nervous leaving the house to go to the corner store.... I mean I wouldn't leave my kids alone unattended why should it be ok to leave my tank that way?? LOL

My Millepora is approaching my Montipora on one side and approaching my Birdsnest on the other- luckily my Monti is on a separate rock so I can adjust- but the Birdsnest is on the same rock- gonna get interesting

imagejpg1_zps184052f7.jpg

My sunset ? Monti from my MACNA purchase is almost covering the plug- wasn't sure if it was greeting enough flow here but it is showing good growth now- excited to see it develop- I really like the encrusting corals. Tough to get a good shot with its placement. My other two are also showing some good growth- I'll get some pics up.

imagejpg2_zps66fd18a8.jpg

Wow. I was not following for some reason, now I am. :)

How are those shrooms doing you posted about in another thread?

Ya- the mystery coral- it showed up after about 4-5 months - still pretty transparent but it is growing- I've spotted another one now too.

Made it through the thread, excellent job, everything looks fantastic. I need a pink or rainbow stylo, something I've always wanted but has never worked out.

I see you have a green bird ... love it, just wish it would grow a little slower. :)

You are making me wonder why the heck I switched away from Kent reef salt. I've gone from Kent to RC and now Seachem, but Seachem has serious deposit issues if you get the Salinity above 1.025, so I'm doing half Seachem and half RC and frankly I don't see any reason not to switch back to Kent.

Made it through the thread, excellent job, everything looks fantastic. I need a pink or rainbow stylo, something I've always wanted but has never worked out.

I see you have a green bird ... love it, just wish it would grow a little slower. :)

You are making me wonder why the heck I switched away from Kent reef salt. I've gone from Kent to RC and now Seachem, but Seachem has serious deposit issues if you get the Salinity above 1.025, so I'm doing half Seachem and half RC and frankly I don't see any reason not to switch back to Kent.

Thanks! Ya - this is the 1st time I've ever used Kent- I've always been a RC guy but I actually really like this Kent salt. Ya the green Birdsnest is out of control- crazy how it doesn't encrust. I have a ora purple cap coming into the fish store this weekend- pretty excited about that- gonna have to do a little rearranging . Thanks for checking things out!

Do you skateboard or smoke meth? Just trying to figure out the screen name lol. Nice setup man.

Hahaha- skateboarder! Sk8n stands for skating- reefer- just another reef nut! Both tend to occupy my days for sure!

Do you skateboard or smoke meth? Just trying to figure out the screen name lol. Nice setup man.

Check out his backyard in the lounge area, the mans got awesome taste in hobbies.

I have an lfs that swears by tropic marin but uses kent because of the price factor, according to him (and his beautiful tanks) its the best bang for your buck.

Check out his backyard in the lounge area, the mans got awesome taste in hobbies. I have an lfs that swears by tropic marin but uses kent because of the price factor, according to him (and his beautiful tanks) its the best bang for your buck.
This is my 1st go around with Kent - my lfs is really top notch- incredible 500 gallon show tank and frag tanks- they specialize in SPS coral. He uses Kent exclusively- I just wanted keep the frags I get in the same environment and hopefully that will help with success- I think it definitely is a factor . I am sold on it now

Awesome pics. Nuvo 16 is my next tank...
Thanks- make sure you get a new one- there are a few horror stories about them cracking by the front round corners- get a solid stand and be careful placing power heads near that area. I do like the tank though!

This is my 1st go around with Kent - my lfs is really top notch- incredible 500 gallon show tank and frag tanks- they specialize in SPS coral. He uses Kent exclusively- I just wanted keep the frags I get in the same environment and hopefully that will help with success- I think it definitely is a factor . I am sold on it now

I use regular IO now I disliked RC scum mostly, plus i make it in 50 gallon batches and wont go bad, I think i should be able to do the same with kent

I disliked RC scum mostly

Exactly why I have went away from RC after always using it exclusively. I picked up 600g worth of seachem after thats gone I might try kent but I couldn't find much info on the net about its test levels even on their site if I remember right.... :wacko:

I use regular IO now I disliked RC scum mostly, plus i make it in 50 gallon batches and wont go bad, I think i should be able to do the same with kent

I was thinking about mixing up 30gallon batches - but that would last me about 6 weeks-might be better with 20 gallon. Do you keep a power head in it or an air stone or both?

I was thinking about mixing up 30gallon batches - but that would last me about 6 weeks-might be better with 20 gallon. Do you keep a power head in it or an air stone or both?

i just run a power head about 4-5 hrs before i use it with regular io

Xenia starting to grow to fast- you can see it in the front of the rock and toward the back below my purple Stylophora - getting dangerously close . Anyone have a tips on removing or trimming back Xenia- I have never kept this coral. It came out of the rock well after a month or two of it being in the tank. I am sure it will begin to sting my Stylophora sooner than later. http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/tikisk8/media/Nuvo%2016/imagejpg24_zps18f8e26c.jpg.html]imagejpg24_zps18f8e26c.jpg[/url]

Other than that corals are growing strong without any "wars" going onhttp://s1134.photobucket.com/user/tikisk8/media/Nuvo%2016/imagejpg3_zps33344814.jpg.html]imagejpg3_zps33344814.jpg[/url]http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/tikisk8/media/Nuvo%2016/imagejpg1_zpsde8b7b08.jpg.html]imagejpg1_zpsde8b7b08.jpg[/url]http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/tikisk8/media/Nuvo%2016/imagejpg3_zpsa9e80103.jpg.html]imagejpg3_zpsa9e80103.jpg[/url]

If you scrape off your Xenia, be careful! I nuked some of my SPS like that! It looks like you got rid of it already? Beautiful tank BTW!
If you scrape off your Xenia, be careful! I nuked some of my SPS like that!

Ya I was very careful and peeled it off (actually my wife handled that) - worked a corner in one area and started to peel it back- came off fairly easy and got the whole patch- it's been over a week and all is good. That whole rock is causing me some issues- the mushrooms are encroaching now- not sure what to do with them

Exactly why I have went away from RC after always using it exclusively. I picked up 600g worth of seachem after thats gone I might try kent but I couldn't find much info on the net about its test levels even on their site if I remember right.... :wacko:

Site says:

Specific Gravity: 1.024 - 1.026

pH: 8.2 to 8.3

Calcium: 550 to 575 ppm

Magnesium: 1,350 to 1,450 ppm

I regularly measured 9.5KH on batches I mixed to 1.026.

It still has some of the same brown residue that RC has, but not as bad.

Site says:

Specific Gravity: 1.024 - 1.026

pH: 8.2 to 8.3

Calcium: 550 to 575 ppm

Magnesium: 1,350 to 1,450 ppm

I regularly measured 9.5KH on batches I mixed to 1.026.

It still has some of the same brown residue that RC has, but not as bad.

Ya I think the elevated calcium levels have helped me not have to dose for months with weekly 5 gal. W/C-but now with the size of my corals there is to big of swings with the calcium and I have began to dose Ca, Alk, and Mag. My lfs sells 1/2 gal. Of each for 6$ each- smoking deal I think!

Archived