inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

I think birdsnests like to grow where they land, and they spread by breaking and growing in a new spot. To get mine more secure I put down a big glob of epoxy, super glue one side to a rock and put glue on the bird and push it into the epoxy. My giant green bird is held down this way.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even my little frags I broke off accidently aren't encrusting and just starting to branch- which is a bummer cause my hermits tend to dislodge them regularly

Birdsnest suck lol

I've only heard it referred to as a green cap - the edges are actually purple. You can see it better in other pictures I've posted. That's an iPad shot and the ipad struggles with capturing the true purple color on this coral. yes it is a really nice coral- thx for cking things out

I've heard them referred to as a Purple Rim Montipora. Always loved them!

6bdc6c65c0fe8a60fd2cd75950577400_zpsdc65

Wow..that is a twiggy base! Mine was thicker at the base but it received more light since it kinda grew at an angle. I would imagine as it gets bigger the base won't even be able to support all the weight.
I've heard them referred to as a Purple Rim Montipora. Always loved them! Wow..that is a twiggy base! Mine was thicker at the base but it received more light since it kinda grew at an angle. I would imagine as it gets bigger the base won't even be able to support all the weight.

Ya- I am surprised it has made it this far! The backside gets a fair amount of light- not great but even my accidental frags start branching and not encrusting. Whew- if it broke off while I wasn't around it would be a disaster for sure

FTS from tonight-11/21/14 at 8 months - the back row of coral -ora purple cap, encrusting seasons greetings, setosa, sunset, reverse sunset, panape Birdsnest, stylo and another Birdsnest not really visible- bonsai hiding back there too

dde7260ed6fa65982ebc3fbe510b8012_zpse346

Here's some of the back row corals

901563e78a3ecc006004e70f65ccb498_zpsb912

cbcf1603e84b9d6da8df31739833d448_zps4c12

1ae96277fc0e29f0b4f6d9777081fcd6_zps6b27

Pulled the magnet away and looks like my Mille is starting to grow up and away from the front glass

b84c96d8d7e8850e6f12bc5352b116b1_zps719c

c79d4053e98e99a356663de9039d496b_zps45a0

This shot actually catches some of the light highlights of my bubblegum Mille- really liking this coral!

770dcb21351d23175f9754b413dab3fa_zpsc0ac

Well at least someone appreciates the Birdsnest - that purple dot inside is a molting hermit enjoying the false sense of security?

ca1ac62a990c25ef77b1a1a9f2f2b27c_zpse18f

No pressure or anything but 4 more months and you will have TOTM IMO, this tank looks fantastic. So don't do what I would do and screw something up! :D

I have a dead red legged hermit in my Bird of Paradise. He kept going in there, I kept kicking him out, he kept going back and now the shell has been there for 3 months and the BOP has encrusted over it. I think he might be trapped or dead.

No pressure or anything but 4 more months and you will have TOTM IMO, this tank looks fantastic. So don't do what I would do and screw something up! :D

I have a dead red legged hermit in my Bird of Paradise. He kept going in there, I kept kicking him out, he kept going back and now the shell has been there for 3 months and the BOP has encrusted over it. I think he might be trapped or dead.

Thanks Mark- appreciate that - no pressure?. Ya- this is the 1st time I've seen one in there- wish I would of caught them going in- that could of been a cool picture?

wow! so impressive. how is this tank onnly 8 months old??? looks more like 2 years to me!
Thanks Ninja! Finally had to snap some arms on my green Poci- he was stinging all his neighbors- I've been resistant to do that but for the sake of the other corals had to- now I've started another mini colony- see how they do?

Here's one of the areas of concern- poci/ Stylo wars- poci winner? winner becomes the loser- snapped em off

0f6a27302b7063e1849d6a79b687cd17_zps3b28

You can see where it stung my stylo?

5de2416d206dd3e82d35ad704ddc5a01_zpsf4a4

Kept the small pieces and see how they do on the other side with less light

6110db8817090b9bb7cdde8d7877491f_zps54c0

Amazing little setup. Everything looks very healthy and looks way older than 8 months

Hey there thx for checking it out! Yes, it is becoming quite full - still a little room to keep tweaking everyone!

Bubble Magus doser is ordered more automation ! A little early b- day present to myself! Pretty stoked to get this going!

This doser was one of the best purchases I made. You'll love it and it's so easy to set up :). Changing the heads eventually has me a bit nervous but I hear that's easy too :).
This doser was one of the best purchases I made. You'll love it and it's so easy to set up :). Changing the heads eventually has me a bit nervous but I hear that's easy too :).

Great- good to know-ya this will really help stabilize things - how long have you had yours?

Heads snap right in, painless. I even used one on a different non BM doser and it worked flawlessly.

Heads snap right in, painless. I even used one on a different non BM doser and it worked flawlessly.

How long did you run your bubble doser before the head went- did it stop working and shut off or did it keep flowing and not shut off?

Great- good to know-ya this will really help stabilize things - how long have you had yours?

Maybe 3 months? I can never keep track of things :).

That's what I've heard. I'm still nervous about it though LOL.
Have you taken a PAR reading with the stock Skkye lights? Are you able to grow SPS because the tank is so shallow?

I haven't taken any par readings but I just run the stock lights on the sides to balance the spread of light. My main light the AI Nano is what is really growing my SPS- besides feeding everyday. The stock lights would be fine for softies but not SPS

So my Mille is starting to angle up and away from the glass- slowly but surely. My magnet will remain there ( in between cleanings) until the white tips start facing straight up.

a425ae1aa04e20cf8a8a43cb77a80aeb_zpse577

44eb282f6cff4e7b34191e11efdea2a7_zps90f1

Archived