Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Didn't add anything last night but some reef roids.

I need to get better at feeding and testing both tanks. I probably only feed my fish twice a week and have been neglecting any feeding for my corals.

Water change is getting moved up to tomorrow this week, so I'll probably move over a coral today and Wednesday! I'll be so happy to get rid of the holding tank!!

When I feed my corals reef roids or phyto I get brown algae on the sand for a few days.. It stinks.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two reasons for my upgrade to a 40B in the spring: 1. I don't like the rounded corners of the biocube, 2. I really wanted an engineer goby.

Some more research on the engineer goby suggests that I really should have a 100G or more tank. Well, that won't happen! So I'm looking for input on the tank size if I were to want to stock the following:

2 clownfish

1 clown goby (yellow or green preferred)

1 other goby (firefish?) OR blenny (tailspot? starry?)

2 mandarins OR 2 pipefish OR 2 dragonettes OR 1 yellow coris wrasse

So, 6 fish MAX.

pipefish! dooooo it.

Definitely pipefish. They are so cool :)

You guys are silly... I need to make sure I'm looking at the right size TANK. If I can find pipefish, I'll probably try them out!

You guys are silly... I need to make sure I'm looking at the right size TANK. If I can find pipefish, I'll probably try them out!

If you like the banded pipefish, Ocean Rider in Hawaii sells CB that come already trained to eat frozen. I don't think they are as pretty as the blue striped pipe but it takes some of the worry out when they already eat frozen mysis.

Last night I moved over a toadstool, dying frogspawn, xenia from the fusion, pink zoas, one blue mushroom, and a rock for the zoas. Already looking more packed on the sand than I would like. Time to re-think the zoa island!

What dimensions are you working towards?

Cadlights Artisan 70G looks pretty solid.

I personally love my dimensions 5ft x 18 inches x 14 inches...the long length allows for a wider variation of fish that require swim room...maybe you could make it a bit taller for more volume.

What dimensions are you working towards?

Cadlights Artisan 70G looks pretty solid.

I personally love my dimensions 5ft x 18 inches x 14 inches...the long length allows for a wider variation of fish that require swim room...maybe you could make it a bit taller for more volume.

40-45 gallons is probably the max I could go. I do like your tank though!!

Two reasons for my upgrade to a 40B in the spring: 1. I don't like the rounded corners of the biocube, 2. I really wanted an engineer goby.

Some more research on the engineer goby suggests that I really should have a 100G or more tank. Well, that won't happen! So I'm looking for input on the tank size if I were to want to stock the following:

2 clownfish

1 clown goby (yellow or green preferred)

1 other goby (firefish?) OR blenny (tailspot? starry?)

2 mandarins OR 2 pipefish OR 2 dragonettes OR 1 yellow coris wrasse

So, 6 fish MAX.

A 40B would be perfect. They look nice, have nice dimensions, and it'd be appropriate for those fish choices. I have 6 fish in my 20g Long and they are doing great. I have two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and an orange firefish :).

A 40B would be perfect. They look nice, have nice dimensions, and it'd be appropriate for those fish choices. I have 6 fish in my 20g Long and they are doing great. I have two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and an orange firefish :).

I'm in love with your tank Gena!! I hope to be able to have something very low maintenance like yours, but keeping evap low and using an ATO without a back chamber worries me!

How are you going to keep the mandarins / scooters in a tank that size?

Or do you have a fairly good method of getting them to eat frozen?

Mandarin I had earlier this year was eating frozen and was pretty happy. He died after I had him for 7 months by jumping out of my tank with an eggcrate lid. I think he wanted a girlfriend... :(

What about the Fluval M90? 36 gallons AIO with light + stand + pumps for $700 or so. It's on sale at Dr. Foster and Smith right now. This was my first choice of tank for an upgrade if I didn't go sump:

Picture I took last year at the Aquatic Experience convention:

10440730_10152565416928883_3649423745478

What about the Fluval M90? 36 gallons AIO with light + stand + pumps for $700 or so. It's on sale at Dr. Foster and Smith right now. This was my first choice of tank for an upgrade if I didn't go sump:

Picture I took last year at the Aquatic Experience convention:

10440730_10152565416928883_3649423745478

Ohhhh is that what that is?? Aquatica in Tinley Park has one of those in the showroom. Looked neat, but not a very deep footprint. I like that the 40B is short ish and wide.

I vote 40B as well. Esp since Petco has those $1 sales where I got mine last so I can redo my tank from the 60g rock flower tank. I just really like the dimension. Every tank I've had as a rectangular format works out wonderfully. The 60g shallow did not, as it didn't for my friend either. We both had different issues but I think it's just something doesn't work out for flow and an overflow in the back corner only.

I vote 40B as well. Esp since Petco has those $1 sales where I got mine last so I can redo my tank from the 60g rock flower tank. I just really like the dimension. Every tank I've had as a rectangular format works out wonderfully. The 60g shallow did not, as it didn't for my friend either. We both had different issues but I think it's just something doesn't work out for flow and an overflow in the back corner only.

But you'll have a sump, right? I'm trying to figure out how to do this with an aio kit or hob filters.

I'm in love with your tank Gena!! I hope to be able to have something very low maintenance like yours, but keeping evap low and using an ATO without a back chamber worries me!

Awwww..thanks :). I have an ATO on my tank with no back chambers and just a HOB filter. It's working out perfectly. Why are you worried about it?

Awwww..thanks :). I have an ATO on my tank with no back chambers and just a HOB filter. It's working out perfectly. Why are you worried about it?

Worried that too much would evaporate before the ato kicks on. :( I would think that could be bad...

Worried that too much would evaporate before the ato kicks on. :( I would think that could be bad...

It would work the same whether it's in the main tank or the back chamber though wouldn't it? I guess I'm confused :).

It would work the same whether it's in the main tank or the back chamber though wouldn't it? I guess I'm confused :).

Its the amount of evaporation.

The ato I have now evaporates 3/4 of an inch before refilling.

So 3/4 of an inch evaporating from the main display (36x18) is much more water than if it was evaporating from a back chamber (4x4).

Unless I'm the one who is confused! ?

which ATO are you using again? I know with the Tunze Nano ATO, when it works, it would start filling at like 1/100 of an inch or something. I am exaggerating but if I even take like half a cup of water from my 12 gallons, it would start filling.

Archived