Pod Your Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Well, I can't get the spin stream to stay put in my BioCube which is a little disappointing. I may have BF exchange it for foods, or dosing stuff (cause my tank is starting to suck up calcium). Or there is a chance I may hang onto it for a second tank!

I know that he's going to start bringing me home pods for my tank to give the population a boost since I asked for a mandarin for my birthday. Hopefully we can find a nice healthy one in a couple of months. I am thinking about trying a clam around then too. BF rescued a dying duncan last week (it was stung and went from about 20 heads to 2), and maybe I can convince him to let me save it in my tank!

But overall it seems like my BioCube is pretty happy and healthy, and now I just need to let it grow!

Sooo... I am thinking about adding a SECOND TANK! I know, I've been saying this for months! But everyone around me was VERY generous this Christmas so I've got a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket. Sure, I could use it to get my car fixed, but that's no fun! Below is my plan, please let me know if I'm forgetting anything. I've got enough for everything but the lights and stand. Lights will be covered by my tax return, stand will be covered by Amazon gift cards I'm earning using Bing Rewards. I have a work meeting out of state in March, so I would time it for the new tanks to be cycling then, I don't want my tank sitter to have to worry about two tanks and a cat! Though I'm sure it wouldn't really matter... This also gives me two months to clean up my apartment and make room. Maybe I will even be able to sell a few old things for some extra upgrade money!

https://flic.kr/p/qweXsS'>16094780346_f54c2ed622.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qweXsS'>Tank Two by https://www.flickr.com/people/33693274@N00/'>kimothy182, on Flickr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome :happydance:.

What about finding a stand used on Craigslist? It doesn't have to be an aquarium stand either. I've used bookcases, and modified sewing machine stands before :D. You could save money that way and apply the savings to the lights. I'm sure you could find something awesome for way under the $300 you have budgeted for the stand :).

Awesome :happydance:.

What about finding a stand used on Craigslist? It doesn't have to be an aquarium stand either. I've used bookcases, and modified sewing machine stands before :D. You could save money that way and apply the savings to the lights. I'm sure you could find something awesome for way under the $300 you have budgeted for the stand :).

That's my plan if I don't find anything else for a more reasonable price. I have an idea of where I would put the new tank, but I still need to make room and figure it out.

I do have a $350 Lego set I need to sell. If I could do that, it would help out my budget greatly.

I do have a $350 Lego set I need to sell. If I could do that, it would help out my budget greatly.

The holidays and eBay would have been the perfect time. I sold a lot of electronics that I held on the whole year for Christmas selling.

The holidays and eBay would have been the perfect time. I sold a lot of electronics that I held on the whole year for Christmas selling.

I know I should have taken that opportunity... I've never sold on eBay and don't even have a PayPal account. Hopefully, prices wont go down too much so I can still try to list it soon.

That's my plan if I don't find anything else for a more reasonable price. I have an idea of where I would put the new tank, but I still need to make room and figure it out.

We're all about the Legos over here :lol:. What set is it???? I sell Legos on eBay. A few years ago I purchased a bunch discounted and stashed them away. I sold a few on eBay this holiday season :). You could always let it sit on Craigslist too until that perfect buyer comes along.

We're all about the Legos over here :lol:. What set is it???? I sell Legos on eBay. A few years ago I purchased a bunch discounted and stashed them away. I sold a few on eBay this holiday season :). You could always let it sit on Craigslist too until that perfect buyer comes along.

It's the Mindstorms robot dude thingy. Retails for $350. I'll be happy to get $250, ecstatic for $300. Never even opened.

I'm gathering a few things I need to sell (a few vintage Christmas decorations made it to the pile) and I'm hoping BF will let me list it under his account since he used to sell a TON on eBay and has a wonderful rating.

Well, I went on a little drive and "visited" the tank I want at the LFS. Took another look at the stand too, and if BF can get me a good deal on the tank AND stand, I may just go that route rather than trying to track down a substitute.

I almost came home with a mandarin, but I know I need to boost my pods first. Patience...

I spent 3 hours cleaning my bathroom top to bottom today, which may not sound tank related, but it's one step towards total apartment organization. Which is one step closer to making room for that second tank!!

Wow Kimber, you are truly the first person I ever heard that cleaned the bathroom top to bottom to make room for another tank. I am tempted to ask just where the tank is going?

Wow Kimber, you are truly the first person I ever heard that cleaned the bathroom top to bottom to make room for another tank. I am tempted to ask just where the tank is going?

Well, see... I cleared out some room in the bathroom closet, which means I can move some things from the hall closet in there and move things from under the kitchen sink to the hall closet. Then I can set up my own ro/di under the kitchen sink!!

But then I need to clean out my second bedroom closet (which is all storage) and reorganize my storage unit so that I can fit my crafts in the bedroom closet, which are now in the living room. But then I need to reorganize the living room because I'm not sure if I want the tanks on the same wall or not.

And this is why I won't actually start the tank till after my March business trip!!

Well I came home from dinner at the BF's to this:

15949061477_bae24773ca_z.jpgWP_20141228_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

It's been half closed up for the last two days, but I was hopeful that it was just poopin. 6 hours gone from the apartment this evening and it's totes falling apart. Lights just went out and it's really late so I'm not sure if I REALLY REALLY need to get this out tonight or if It can wait till morning. I don't want it sitting in the trash stinking up the place and I really don't want to walk out to the dumpster right now.

I'm pretty disappointed that this guy died. I got it at the (local) Reefwise meetup mid-October, it's it's been in my tank just over 2 months. I have not had many coral deaths except for two SPS's and one other torch. I was sure that the first torch-y death was due to my heater disaster, where my tank temp was almost 90. But now I wonder if torches are just harder to take care of than other euphyllia...

sorry to hear about the torch! and yes, torch are definitely harder than hammer and frogspawn from my experience. i have lost 3 torches already and i have crossed torches off my list forever. the torch i got from Reefwise is still doing well for now so crossing my finger this one will last more than a year.

sorry to hear about the torch! and yes, torch are definitely harder than hammer and frogspawn from my experience. i have lost 3 torches already and i have crossed torches off my list forever. the torch i got from Reefwise is still doing well for now so crossing my finger this one will last more than a year.

Both torches I have gotten from Reefwise, however, everything else I have gotten from there is doing well, so I don't blame them one bit!

I sent BF the pic and he said to pull it right away. Guess I'll just bury it in the trash a bit and take it out in the morning. :(

Well I came home from dinner at the BF's to this:

15949061477_bae24773ca_z.jpgWP_20141228_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

It's been half closed up for the last two days, but I was hopeful that it was just poopin. 6 hours gone from the apartment this evening and it's totes falling apart. Lights just went out and it's really late so I'm not sure if I REALLY REALLY need to get this out tonight or if It can wait till morning. I don't want it sitting in the trash stinking up the place and I really don't want to walk out to the dumpster right now.

I'm pretty disappointed that this guy died. I got it at the (local) Reefwise meetup mid-October, it's it's been in my tank just over 2 months. I have not had many coral deaths except for two SPS's and one other torch. I was sure that the first torch-y death was due to my heater disaster, where my tank temp was almost 90. But now I wonder if torches are just harder to take care of than other euphyllia...

So sorry to hear about the torch :( Don't know if it helps but I lost mine too about a month ago. The one I got from Reefwise. Everything else I got it doing great though.

Sucks about the torch. They can be oddly finicky. I'm I think 2-2 with torches atm, one brown jellied right away, the other did well for a little while then hated the new tank.

Sucks about the torch. They can be oddly finicky. I'm I think 2-2 with torches atm, one brown jellied right away, the other did well for a little while then hated the new tank.

Unlike my blue mushrooms, which have spat out another baby!!

Mr. Microscope

Awe. Sorry to see your torch is failing. Is it completely gone? If there's a little flesh left, you never know. I saw Reefwise just got in a bunch more euphyllia. Perhaps, you can pick up another at the next meet-up.

Sorry to hear about the torch. I just picked up my third one. If this one doesn't work out, I am done with them. I love the way that they look, but if I have to buy one every couple of months, it's not worth it.

Awe. Sorry to see your torch is failing. Is it completely gone? If there's a little flesh left, you never know. I saw Reefwise just got in a bunch more euphyllia. Perhaps, you can pick up another at the next meet-up.

Nope, he's toast. As I was carefully pulling out last night, it just melted away in the flow. I moved a couple things around just now - My Purpley Goodness (which now looks more like a turd-ish brown) got moved to where the torch was, because I think the xenia was shading it too much. I also moved my second hammer clump over because I think it needs more flow. I forget to look down from above my corals, it really helped me get a few things moved to better places (I hope...).

During my water change tomorrow, I may move a few more things around. Since it's very likely I will come home with something pretty Saturday!!

Sorry to hear about the torch. I just picked up my third one. If this one doesn't work out, I am done with them. I love the way that they look, but if I have to buy one every couple of months, it's not worth it.

I'm having much better luck with my hammer - which was pissed for two months in my tank and still isn't at 100%, but at least it's not dead. Even my frogspawn which had a rough start in it's new home seems to be puffing out a ton lately. Maybe it'll soon be two heads!

Well, see... I cleared out some room in the bathroom closet, which means I can move some things from the hall closet in there and move things from under the kitchen sink to the hall closet. Then I can set up my own ro/di under the kitchen sink!!

But then I need to clean out my second bedroom closet (which is all storage) and reorganize my storage unit so that I can fit my crafts in the bedroom closet, which are now in the living room. But then I need to reorganize the living room because I'm not sure if I want the tanks on the same wall or not.

And this is why I won't actually start the tank till after my March business trip!![/quote

Ahh, that makes perfect sense and I think I understand now. Sounds like you have a plan.

Ahh, that makes perfect sense and I think I understand now. Sounds like you have a plan.

I'm having a hard time deciding where a second tank should go. I have waaaay too much stuff. All my walls are currently covered with various furniture and tables and such.

kimber, i'm sorry about your torch. i've never

even tried one, though i do have a frogspawn and

hammer if they are the same? that sucks though.

and yeah, i'd fish it out asap.

i admit, if i lose something in tank, i'm pretty

gun shy about trying it again any time soon.

hope you figure out a good place for your second tank!

kimber, i'm sorry about your torch. i've never

even tried one, though i do have a frogspawn and

hammer if they are the same? that sucks though.

and yeah, i'd fish it out asap.

i admit, if i lose something in tank, i'm pretty

gun shy about trying it again any time soon.

hope you figure out a good place for your second tank!

Frogspawn, hammers, and torches are all in the same family I think - they are all euphyllia. I really like them all and wish I had better luck with torches. If/when I upgrade my BioCube (in another year or two) to something bigger, I might try torches again.

I'm sorry about the torch coral. They can be unpredictable.

It's a shame. When they are happy they are beautiful!

Archived