Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Yay!!! Glad you are feeling better :). Hmmmm...new coral. Looks like you have almost every type so maybe just the same thing but a new color that you love? I'd suggest a blasto but they can be such punks LOL. Maybe if you try a generic red and green one it would be ok. From my experience, the fancier the color the more difficult they are. Maybe just stay away from blastos all together :lol:.

A clam would be awesome. I think as long as it's not gaping, it's a good one. I bought my gold maxima from the LFS and I had no idea what to look for as far as healthy, only that it wasn't gaping. So far so good over a year later!

I think my backup idea if they don't have anything new for me to try would be another color of frogspawn or hammer. I love squishy corals. ;)

When I picked my clam 2 years ago I didn't know how to pick a healthy one but I lucked out. I now know: 1. Look for a white growth line at the top of the shell where it meets the mantle. 2. Pass your hand over it and see if it momentarily shuts but then opens up again fairly quickly. 3. Look for a healthy mantle with no tears or marks and is opened and not pinched in appearance. 4. Clams that are 3" or bigger have a better survival rate. For a smaller tank a crocea grows slower and does not get as big as other clams. They do need high intensity light though. Mine has thrived under T5s but I do have it high in the tank. I will be anxious to see what you get.

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they have some clams, but if not, I'm sure to come home with something!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my backup idea if they don't have anything new for me to try would be another color of frogspawn or hammer. I love squishy corals. ;)

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they have some clams, but if not, I'm sure to come home with something!!

Have fun! I also have a gift certificate and some aquarium bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I share your excitement!

I need to convince BF that this duncan belongs in my tank. 2 healthy heads plus 4 more that are growing/recovering:

16155010146_f46e14c235.jpg

WP_20150102_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Thing is, he said duncans are one of his favorite corals, so now I don't want to keep bugging him to let me have it.

Here's a picture of his undata. It's probably about the size of a computer mouse. To me, the little white polyps on it seems to really hover and wiggle in the flow.

15561038013_2c7e505b1c.jpg

WP_20150102_002 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Now, I LOVE this coral but he LOVES it too. I've seen small nickel sized frags at the LFS, but they don't have that polyp wiggle I love so much. Is this because it's such a small frag? Can anyone else with undatas chime in regarding their experience with polyp wiggle??

I agree with ninjamyst, bring over the bone cutters. Tell him "sharing is caring" :)

I don't have undata experience, but my encrusting monti was completely different once it got going in my tank from the way it looked as a little frag at the lfs. The polyps extend much more in my tank than they did in the store.

I agree with ninjamyst, bring over the bone cutters. Tell him "sharing is caring" :)

I don't have undata experience, but my encrusting monti was completely different once it got going in my tank from the way it looked as a little frag at the lfs. The polyps extend much more in my tank than they did in the store.

Do you have some pics?

I also like how his isn't shaped like a frag plug. Because it was never put on a frag plug. <_<

your bf got some nice corals...maybe take a bone cutter to his tank next time he's not looking? =P

This isn't a "cut the baby in half so we both get some" coral. I love it too, and I would rather not frag it's beautiful-ness and just enjoy it in his tank.

Though I might try my own frag and hope it grows into a nice not-frag-plug-shaped coral.

Do you have some pics?

I also like how his isn't shaped like a frag plug. Because it was never put on a frag plug. <_<

I've never been able to get a pic that really shows what mine looks like because the weird fluorescent green color always comes out wrong. But I just posted one in my 4g thread so you can see what the polyps look like. Mine's not an undata so the growth is different, though...

I've never been able to get a pic that really shows what mine looks like because the weird fluorescent green color always comes out wrong. But I just posted one in my 4g thread so you can see what the polyps look like. Mine's not an undata so the growth is different, though...

Still a helpful pic! Thanks!!

Picked up a purple hammer and my own little quarter sized undata at the meetup today!

I really need to work on my dosing now. I know my calcium dips low between water changes. I'll start testing/dosing daily tonight.

Sweet tank :)

This isn't a "cut the baby in half so we both get some" coral. I love it too, and I would rather not frag it's beautiful-ness and just enjoy it in his tank.

Though I might try my own frag and hope it grows into a nice not-frag-plug-shaped coral.

The shape is going to be more dependant on location and environmental factors then it was on a frag plug or not.... of course it will take time but what doesn't in this hobby ;)

Also, you can always pop it off the plug (and I would highly recommend doing anyways....I hope you dipped it as well) and glue it direct to the rocks :) As far as the movement of the polyps that will be impacted by flow and overall health. Keep it happy and you will enjoy a very underrated beauty for years!

I came home with two new goodies from the LFS yesterday.

First is a small frag of my own undata. It's just a little bit bigger than a quarter and doesn't look like an awkward shaped frag. :wub:

15574269434_96c9413ae0.jpg

WP_20150103_002 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I also picked up a small purple tip hammer with two heads. I think I put it in an area of too much flow, so I may need to move it. Of course, this picture was taken within minutes of being in the tank, but I know it should be puffier. I'm hoping that pink thing is a sponge. I didn't notice it when I was at the LFS.

15576852693_351b712406.jpg

WP_20150103_003 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Sweet tank :)

The shape is going to be more dependant on location and environmental factors then it was on a frag plug or not.... of course it will take time but what doesn't in this hobby ;)

Also, you can always pop it off the plug (and I would highly recommend doing anyways....I hope you dipped it as well) and glue it direct to the rocks :) As far as the movement of the polyps that will be impacted by flow and overall health. Keep it happy and you will enjoy a very underrated beauty for years!

Thanks for stopping by!

Personal preference, I just don't like the way small frags of encrusting corals look then you can tell it's a chunk growing over a frag plug. Plus, frag plugs themselves can be unsightly. I'm getting over that, as I've left some of my corals on their frag plugs so I can move them around till I get them in their "happy place."

I know I should dip, just like I should quarantine fish, but I don't. :unsure: All I can say is that I'm very careful with where I get my stuff from. And the further along I get in the hobby, the pickier I am with what I buy. For reals, There are places that have had good pricing on items I'm seeking out, but because there's a lot of algae, or unhappy corals in the tank I don't buy.

Everyone does things their own way, and I definitely appreciate your advice!

Like the new additions. Makes me want a hammer again :D

I don't quarantine either :o, but I do dip all corals & try to pry them off their frag plugs.

Like the new additions. Makes me want a hammer again :D

I don't quarantine either :o, but I do dip all corals & try to pry them off their frag plugs.

I do inspect them for odd looking things. Give the plugs a rub with my fingers in case there's something on them. Usually once I place a frag, I put a hermit on there too, to pick off any algae and whatever. My hermits are good little cleaners!

I do inspect them for odd looking things. Give the plugs a rub with my fingers in case there's something on them. Usually once I place a frag, I put a hermit on there too, to pick off any algae and whatever. My hermits are good little cleaners!

I've got a dedicated "tank" toothbrush for scrubbing stuff :lol: I'm considering picking up a hermit for my 10g, but the urchin in the 20g cleans algae like a boss. Wish there were mini tuxedos for smaller tanks. Or mine will just get a vacation in the 10 if algae gets bad.

I've got a dedicated "tank" toothbrush for scrubbing stuff :lol: I'm considering picking up a hermit for my 10g, but the urchin in the 20g cleans algae like a boss. Wish there were mini tuxedos for smaller tanks. Or mine will just get a vacation in the 10 if algae gets bad.

Same! I have a whole bunch of "tank only" cleaning stuff. But I'm sure most people do...

I really do love my hermits, except I think I have too many! I think two or three of my 13 have died. They take care of any algae spots really quick. I have an urchin too, thankfully he's well behaved and doesn't knock too much over! I just need something to help stir the sand in the hard-to-reach-with-a-siphon spots.

I know I should dip, just like I should quarantine fish, but I don't. :unsure: All I can say is that I'm very careful with where I get my stuff from. And the further along I get in the hobby, the pickier I am with what I buy. For reals, There are places that have had good pricing on items I'm seeking out, but because there's a lot of algae, or unhappy corals in the tank I don't buy.

Everyone does things their own way, and I definitely appreciate your advice!

Not QTing fish isn't nearly as risky as not dipping coral IMO. Most people (especially with nanos) don't get many fish and once they get a few are done. Yet we add coral all the time and for many end up with more into our coral then our fish.... Unless the place you get them from dips repeatedly and qt's all inbound coral for a couple weeks before putting them into their sale systems (and VERY VERY FEW DO THIS) your really just playing with fire by not atleast dipping and removing all plugs fully.

The hammer looks great, Kim!

Thanks!

how's the hammer looking? the frogspawn i got doesn't look as nice as it was under their light. i have to pretty much go 90% blues to get the same crazy green popping color.

The hammer is doing very well, though I think I have it in and area with a bit too much flow, I think. It still holds it's color fairly well, but yes, it's not quite as "blue" as it was at the store.

The hammer is doing very well, though I think I have it in and area with a bit too much flow, I think. It still holds it's color fairly well, but yes, it's not quite as "blue" as it was at the store.

I think their secret is having all their corals in shallow tanks with top down view. Their LEDs really make the colors pop when view from the top. Hope your hammer adjusts to the flow. I remember the flow they had there was very gentle and multi-directional because the corals were swaying back and forth.

Archived