ReefCleaners.org

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Frogspawn, hammers, and torches are all in the same family I think - they are all euphyllia. I really like them all and wish I had better luck with torches. If/when I upgrade my BioCube (in another year or two) to something bigger, I might try torches again.

It's a shame. When they are happy they are beautiful!

They are beautiful when they are flourishing but I have one that has been languishing for months and I just can't seem to perk it up. I tried moving it a time or two to change the lighting or flow but it just continues to hang in there but definitely not a beautiful specimen.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not ready to start a new thread for the new tank as there's still the possibility it won't happen.

However, I'm thinking of picking up a Jebao RW-4 while they are available on Amazon for $55. It just so happens that I got $55 worth of Amazon gift cards for Christmas. I was thinking of using that plus the stock pump with two spin streams in the IM Nuvo Fusion 20.

Good idea?

It's the Mindstorms robot dude thingy. Retails for $350. I'll be happy to get $250, ecstatic for $300. Never even opened.

I'm gathering a few things I need to sell (a few vintage Christmas decorations made it to the pile) and I'm hoping BF will let me list it under his account since he used to sell a TON on eBay and has a wonderful rating.

Oh cool! Remote control!!!! Never knew about that set :). Looks like they were fetching over $500 before Christmas :o.

Sorry to hear about your torch coral :(.

Not ready to start a new thread for the new tank as there's still the possibility it won't happen.

However, I'm thinking of picking up a Jebao RW-4 while they are available on Amazon for $55. It just so happens that I got $55 worth of Amazon gift cards for Christmas. I was thinking of using that plus the stock pump with two spin streams in the IM Nuvo Fusion 20.

Good idea?

Sorry about your torch. I think the two spin streams is a great idea but I would definitely consider upgrading your pump- it seems that stock pumps for IM tanks can always be upgraded to more flow- plus the spin streams will slightly reduce flow. I've upgraded my Nuvo 16 pump to a sicce 1.5 and love it- a little more expensive but a great pump

Someone has them listed for $450ish and they are still selling. I think you'll definitely get what you want for it even if you list it now :).

I should just get off my butt and do it!!

Good idea?

You'll definitely want another pump for flow if you're going to keep the stock pump with the y-split plus spin streams to keep your high flow corals happy. I just removed the y-split and have a Sicce 1.5 and a Sicce 1.0 in there each powering one of the spin streams.

You'll definitely want another pump for flow if you're going to keep the stock pump with the y-split plus spin streams to keep your high flow corals happy. I just removed the y-split and have a Sicce 1.5 and a Sicce 1.0 in there each powering one of the spin streams.

Is there a reason for two pumps vs one mega pump?

Is there a reason for two pumps vs one mega pump?

Here's my complete non-scientific thought- you'd be getting to the point where you'd need a monster pump to equal having two due to the flow restrictions from the y-split plus the spin streams. Plus I think spin streams say they're rated for not more than x-amount of gphs? That might be the Hydor FLO, can't remember. My spin streams are turning at least twice as fast as before, probably more like 3x now that they each have their own pump.

Here's my complete non-scientific thought- you'd be getting to the point where you'd need a monster pump to equal having two due to the flow restrictions from the y-split plus the spin streams. Plus I think spin streams say they're rated for not more than x-amount of gphs? That might be the Hydor FLO, can't remember. My spin streams are turning at least twice as fast as before, probably more like 3x now that they each have their own pump.

Well, that's a good enough explanation for me!!

I'll probably order the jebao this week! Then I'll have two things for future tank!!

Feeling down about my tank tonight.

I did my water change, coral re-arrange, and half assed glass cleaning tonight. After my torch died I moved a few things hoping to make them happier - but something about the way everything is situated seems "off" and I don't like it. And while moving things around I accidentally broke off a pea sized piece of my setosa. I super glued the tiny piece onto a little rock. Maybe it will grow.

Just bummed. I should have tested my water after I did my maintenance, but I just don't wanna.

Re-thinking if I should get a second tank, when I feel so blah about the one I have.. you know?

The highs and lows of the reef-keeping hobby...

What do you all do when you're feeling bummed and bored with your tank?

You have to get addicted to the forums, that way you spend less time on the tank. :flower:

OR video games.

I can understand your blues, I have them as well. After spending a good amount of money last 2-3 weeks on seemingly nothing it's just frustration doing the shopping and nothing else. I'm thinking of re-directing my energy into starting a culture of something - phyto, tisbe, BBS, rotifers - something.

You have to get addicted to the forums, that way you spend less time on the tank. :flower:

OR video games.

I can understand your blues, I have them as well. After spending a good amount of money last 2-3 weeks on seemingly nothing it's just frustration doing the shopping and nothing else. I'm thinking of re-directing my energy into starting a culture of something - phyto, tisbe, BBS, rotifers - something.

I feel like my frustration is with this f-ing rock! I didn't pick it, I scaped as best I could, and I think there is too much of it. Half the rock is super dense with no holes, half the rock is to "branchy" with holes that are too big!

BUT I can't bring myself to get rid of it because there are living creatures that call it home!! :angry:

Oh, and I AM addicted the the forums... there's not enough people posting tonight!!!!

Feeling down about my tank tonight.

I did my water change, coral re-arrange, and half assed glass cleaning tonight. After my torch died I moved a few things hoping to make them happier - but something about the way everything is situated seems "off" and I don't like it. And while moving things around I accidentally broke off a pea sized piece of my setosa. I super glued the tiny piece onto a little rock. Maybe it will grow.

Just bummed. I should have tested my water after I did my maintenance, but I just don't wanna.

Re-thinking if I should get a second tank, when I feel so blah about the one I have.. you know?

The highs and lows of the reef-keeping hobby...

What do you all do when you're feeling bummed and bored with your tank?

omg, i broke off a piece of my setosa tonight too! i wanted to remove it from the frag plug but ended breaking it. blah. i threw the broken pieces away. i should have glued them onto a rock like u did.

maybe we can get mr. microsope to give us another frag =P

omg, i broke off a piece of my setosa tonight too! i wanted to remove it from the frag plug but ended breaking it. blah. i threw the broken pieces away. i should have glued them onto a rock like u did.

maybe we can get mr. microsope to give us another frag =P

I still have a nice big piece, mine seems to be growing a ton!!

I still have a nice big piece, mine seems to be growing a ton!!

picture! how has your been growing?? mine started to encrust the frag plug. it didn't grow vertically. bummer. and the new growth was the part that broke so now mine looks like no growth at all.

picture! how has your been growing?? mine started to encrust the frag plug. it didn't grow vertically. bummer. and the new growth was the part that broke so now mine looks like no growth at all.

Uhh! Bummer! Mine's not encrusting at all. Growing up and out and almost like a spiral! I'll snag a pic when I can.

I think I might be too paranoid about anything touching. I feel like I don't really have space for much more than what I have. Like I'm going to have to start crowding my corals and risk chemical warfare.

aww hugs, kimber! you are so A type personality. haha!

don't be bummed, your tank is gorgeous!!!

take joy in it. but i do understand. i'm not very A type though.

i get upset then i get over it. i blame short attention span.

and i've taken plenty of live rocks out and stuck them

in the garden. :) there's no lack of hitchhikers in the

world. it'll be okay.

I feel like my frustration is with this f-ing rock! I didn't pick it, I scaped as best I could, and I think there is too much of it. Half the rock is super dense with no holes, half the rock is to "branchy" with holes that are too big!

BUT I can't bring myself to get rid of it because there are living creatures that call it home!! :angry:

Oh, and I AM addicted the the forums... there's not enough people posting tonight!!!!

The best thing I ever did for my tank was to take out this huge monolithic rock that was just too big for my tank and smash it up with a hammer. Felt good....... and looked so much better! ;) I tossed a bunch of it and just kept the parts I liked. I still might have too much rock. Maybe I'll do it again!

Archived