inTank Media Baskets

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Just cleaned mine in my 4g since I had the back chamber taken apart to rescue gobies. It was all full of pale white chaeto. I haven't had chaeto in this tank in three months but that didn't stop my pump from growing it :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal preference, I just don't like the way small frags of encrusting corals look then you can tell it's a chunk growing over a frag plug. Plus, frag plugs themselves can be unsightly. I'm getting over that, as I've left some of my corals on their frag plugs so I can move them around till I get them in their "happy place."

I know I should dip, just like I should quarantine fish, but I don't. :unsure: All I can say is that I'm very careful with where I get my stuff from. And the further along I get in the hobby, the pickier I am with what I buy. For reals, There are places that have had good pricing on items I'm seeking out, but because there's a lot of algae, or unhappy corals in the tank I don't buy.

Everyone does things their own way, and I definitely appreciate your advice!

I agree on both counts. I probably pop things off frag plugs sooner than I should, cause I think they are an eyesore. And I haven't dipped any corals, and have only once in decades of fresh water aquarium keeping, quarantined fish (in fact, until recently, I would just dump the water from the LFS into my tank . So far, so good.

I agree on both counts. I probably pop things off frag plugs sooner than I should, cause I think they are an eyesore. And I haven't dipped any corals, and have only once in decades of fresh water aquarium keeping, quarantined fish (in fact, until recently, I would just dump the water from the LFS into my tank . So far, so good.

I too got away with not dipping or QT for 20 years and never had a disaster. I started dipping my corals about 1 year ago though and discovered it's not that inconvenient really. And now with captive bred seahorses that have no natural immunity to wild pathogens I am forced to QT any fish that is wild caught. Who knew, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Anyway I hope you and Kimber fare as well as I did.

I'm sure the more I invest into fish and corals, the more likely I am to start QT/dipping things. In the beginning, I didn't have much to lose!

Back in the day, we refers had more options too. There was a product called Greenex, (it contained malachite green and minute traces of copper) and was considered reef safe (at that time). It has since been taken off the market. It was cheap and pretty effective against ich. In the 90s not many reefers, (at least that I knew of) were keeping SPS and I used it more than once on my softie/LPS tank. It never hurt anything I had tremendously but probably did impact biological fauna somewhat but back then we had massive amounts of rock too. Another drawback was it stained the silicon seams blue-ish.

I too got away with not dipping or QT for 20 years and never had a disaster. I started dipping my corals about 1 year ago though and discovered it's not that inconvenient really. And now with captive bred seahorses that have no natural immunity to wild pathogens I am forced to QT any fish that is wild caught. Who knew, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Anyway I hope you and Kimber fare as well as I did.

Maybe I should be dipping - I came home from work last night and found the dreaded Bubble Algae growning on the rocks near my new frag of Tubbs Blue. They were quite small (and dare I say, sort of cute?) but I have heard horror stories about them. So I sucked most of them up and with a test kit pipette and will keep an eye out for more of them. A few got away from me, and I hope they don't get huge in a hidden location and cause problems for me down the line.

Maybe I should be dipping - I came home from work last night and found the dreaded Bubble Algae growning on the rocks near my new frag of Tubbs Blue. They were quite small (and dare I say, sort of cute?) but I have heard horror stories about them. So I sucked most of them up and with a test kit pipette and will keep an eye out for more of them. A few got away from me, and I hope they don't get huge in a hidden location and cause problems for me down the line.

I don't think dipping helps with bubble algae anyway, its more of a protection against red bugs or flat worms which are both destructive. At least bubble algae is not destructive and can be sucked out with water changes.

I did another round of testing last night...

Last week: This week:

Nitrate: 2 2

Ca: 410 425

Alk: 8.7 8.5

Mg: 1200 1200

I'm so so happy that I've got a nice stable tank! I've cut down on feeding which has helped the nitrates stay nice and low, and have been better at weekly (meaning exactly 7 days) water changes. My birthday is in TWO weeks and I'm going to either get a mandarin or a clam.

Tank number two is so far still in the works. My mom is taking her piano back which will open up a 6 foot wall. I'm going to copy Kat and make myself a little fish tank nook. :happy:

I am getting a wingback chair from my mom that I will need to sew up a cover for - She had it re-upholstered a few years ago with a fabric that I know my cat will like to scratch on. So to keep it nice I need to cover it with something as re-upholstering it would cost about $500. :o

I thinking something marine related, but I don't want it too look too cheesy:

https://flic.kr/p/qDyefY'>16177560968_76756f1951.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qDyefY'>swatches by https://www.flickr.com/people/33693274@N00/'>kimothy182, on Flickr

I like the 1st and last swatches. The first has the seahorses in it so of course it would be one of my picks but the graphic jellies are very artistic.

OoOOoOoooo new profile pic. Nice!

+1. This reminded me to ask you how's your cat with the fish tank? Does it ever try to climb on top of it and "poke" around? My wife wants a cat but I told her no cuz cats eat fish =P.

+1. This reminded me to ask you how's your cat with the fish tank? Does it ever try to climb on top of it and "poke" around? My wife wants a cat but I told her no cuz cats eat fish =P.

Assume you are talking to Kim, but just in case, my cats don't even look at my tank. It's the typical Cutler "doooooon't caaaaaaare" when it comes to the fish.

I think it's hit or miss. My cat couldn't care less. I pick him up and point his face at my fish and he looks away. But I know he loves looking outside and watching squirrels, so my tank is just too boring for him.

I know Kat's cat, Bogi, likes to watch the tank but I don't think he messes with it in a bad way.

I know that FishFrogs's cat bothers the tank.

Luck of the draw... are the tanks in an area where a cat could jump up to them?

natalia_la_loca

Both of our cats completely ignore our tanks.

Btw I should add that this is in spite of their being great mousers and sadistic murderers of cute small animals of all kinds.

I think it's hit or miss. My cat couldn't care less. I pick him up and point his face at my fish and he looks away. But I know he loves looking outside and watching squirrels, so my tank is just too boring for him.

I know Kat's cat, Bogi, likes to watch the tank but I don't think he messes with it in a bad way.

I know that FishFrogs's cat bothers the tank.

Luck of the draw... are the tanks in an area where a cat could jump up to them?

the tank is on top of the fireplace so easy access. i am just so worrried that it's open top with a mesh lid only. what if the cat pees into the tank?? or shake furball all over it?

Polarcollision

I think it's hit or miss. My cat couldn't care less.

Both of our cats completely ignore our tanks.

the tank is on top of the fireplace so easy access. i am just so worrried that it's open top with a mesh lid only. what if the cat pees into the tank?? or shake furball all over it?

So THIS happened last night

s479RLX.jpg

Polarcollision

lol...good thing u have glass lid

I kept asking my husband if he knew why there was so much cat hair on the glass lately. He has to go all liquid cat to even fit up there.

So THIS happened last night

s479RLX.jpg

AHH!!!

I actually have a sort of kitty jungle gym that you can kind of put together however you want. I was thinking about re-building it next to my biocube so that maybe he will look at it more for some entertainment. I worry he gets bored at home all day.

Polarcollision

AHH!!!

I actually have a sort of kitty jungle gym that you can kind of put together however you want. I was thinking about re-building it next to my biocube so that maybe he will look at it more for some entertainment. I worry he gets bored at home all day.

That sounds like a great way to entertain your cat, especially if he loves watching the tank.

I sent in my rent check today along with a nice little note asking to add another fish tank in my apartment. fingerscrossed
Here's hoping it's been a nice day and your landlord is in a good mood!

Me...I am the ' beg forgiveness rather than ask permission type'.

Archived