inTank Media Baskets

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

I'm getting excited and a little ahead of myself! Already purchased a few things and if I was as talented as Kat I would have my own little diagram of how I want my fish nook to look!

But I need to make sure that my landlord doesn't say no!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting excited and a little ahead of myself! Already purchased a few things and if I was as talented as Kat I would have my own little diagram of how I want my fish nook to look!

New tank! New tank! New tank!

Pinky has lodged herself far into the rocks again.

One of my rics detached and floated off to who knows where.

My xenia started dropping random babies in my tank.

My frogspawn hasn't looked right in a few days.

But, my urchin spawned again during my water change today sooo...

Well I put a chunk of blue ochtodes in my tank over the weekend. I was hoping it would grow really pretty, and be a place for pods to hang out for a future mandarin. Then I was kind of worried my urchin might eat it all, but that would be ok because I like him and he's allowed a treat.

I was not expecting my hermit to use it as an all day, help yourself buffet. <_<

They have eaten about half of the donut hole sized piece, and I expect it will be gone by the end of the weekend.

i see that Days of Our Tanks continues

in kimber's corner of the world. :lol:

exciting on new tank!! i'm not ready at all!!

ha! but enjoy the process!!!

Well I put a chunk of blue ochtodes in my tank over the weekend. I was hoping it would grow really pretty, and be a place for pods to hang out for a future mandarin. Then I was kind of worried my urchin might eat it all, but that would be ok because I like him and he's allowed a treat.

I was not expecting my hermit to use it as an all day, help yourself buffet. <_<

They have eaten about half of the donut hole sized piece, and I expect it will be gone by the end of the weekend.

Silly hermit and urch :lol: When I put nori in for the urch, it hangs out there until it's all gone and the snails have to either find it first (not hard, they're way better at finding it than the urch is) or try and get whatever is left. Those things have an appetite.

Silly hermit and urch :lol: When I put nori in for the urch, it hangs out there until it's all gone and the snails have to either find it first (not hard, they're way better at finding it than the urch is) or try and get whatever is left. Those things have an appetite.

Yeah, I had this cool vision of having lots of pretty macro algae in my 10g tank, so I got uncured live rock and there was lots of macroalgae. Then I got this crazy idea to have hermits and mithrax crabs to eat the undesirable algae, which they did. Now I have a perfectly clean algae-free tank. Not quite what my vision was but crabs just aren't very selective :D

Something is up with my leather. I dunno why there is a black spot on it's "stem"... Has anyone seen something like this before?16402766562_984826fa50.jpgWP_20150129_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

My leathers get all kinds of irregular knobs and bumps but I don't remember seeing anything like that. It's probably nothing.

I'd say hit it with the baster and see if it comes off.. kind of looks like Cyano. Or is it a hole in the stalk itself?

It does almost seem like a hole. It does not come off with a baster.

I guess I'm hoping it's not going to cause my leather to rot from the inside out...

Looks like a hole to me as well.. worst case scenario, you can frag a bit off and start it over. Leathers can be pretty hardy though so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Looks like a hole to me as well.. worst case scenario, you can frag a bit off and start it over. Leathers can be pretty hardy though so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it!

BF added a small frag rack to his tank over the weekend. I went ahead and gave him my Purple-y Goodness to see if it would do better in his tank.

We were at the LFS over the weekend and I saw one of the same corals - it should be a purple-ish green with dark red polyps. Mine is a pink-ish brown with no polyps out in weeks. It's surviving, but not thriving. So hopefully it does better in a more mature system and I can get it back.

I ordered an RW-4 and a couple of surge protectors for tank #2. I should hear from my landlord by the end of the week if I can go ahead and start setting up!

:lol: Kat is obsessive sometimes, trust me you don't want to be like me.

Also, KimberBee, check this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976948

Also, KimberBee, check this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976948

Ah, thanks! It doesn't seem to be spreading, and it doesn't seem to be making my Sinularia upset. When I do my water change this week I may try to scrape it off. It seems to be a very hearty coral and was one of the originals that came with the tank, so I'm sure it'll bounce back if I have to take a careful little chunk out.

It does almost seem like a hole. It does not come off with a baster.

I guess I'm hoping it's not going to cause my leather to rot from the inside out...

I had a nice neon green toadstool...about 5" across the clowns lived in years ago. It started looking "shrively" and I noticed a hole right in the center of its top. Turned out some sort of worm ate right through the center of the stalk and out the top. I sliced the top of the toadstool into multiple pieces and threw the rest out. I had several toadstools a few weeks later.

:lol: Kat is obsessive sometimes, trust me you don't want to be like me.

It was taking me too long to figure out SketchUp so I went with graph paper and little furniture cut outs. :happy:

Landlord approved a second tank!! :happydance:

I WILL do my taxes this weekend - my refund will go towards my light. Hoping for enough to get a nanobox! fingerscrossed

Kimberbee, how did you like your two ecoxotic LED panorama pros? Your tank is roughly 18" deep I think so were those 2 led strips sufficient for growing LPS at the bottom of your tank? Did you have to add any extra lighting? Did they burn out quickly or have any sort of heating issues? I'm making final decisions on my first tank which will be 24" deep and am currently debating whether I should go with 2 ecoxotics. Would love to hear about your experience with them. I don't plan on growing SPS in this tank.

Kimberbee, how did you like your two ecoxotic LED panorama pros? Your tank is roughly 18" deep I think so were those 2 led strips sufficient for growing LPS at the bottom of your tank? Did you have to add any extra lighting? Did they burn out quickly or have any sort of heating issues? I'm making final decisions on my first tank which will be 24" deep and am currently debating whether I should go with 2 ecoxotics. Would love to hear about your experience with them. I don't plan on growing SPS in this tank.

I do like my Panorama Pros! I've got LPS on the sand bed, middle, and top of my tank, and all are doing well with great color and growth! I believe I have two strips, one all white, one blue and magenta, and I also left the blue stock LED's in that I use as moonlights. I left the stock fans in and running, since in the summer my tank would get a bit hot, but this wasn't really an LED issue, just a climate issue. I've had them in sine July, and none have burned out. They do also seem to work well with SPS as I do have a few of those higher up in my tank. The only thing I DON'T like is that I have a dimmer dial that has no markings. So I don't know what % my lights are at, making it a little difficult to raise/lower my lights to a specified degree - I just have to turn the dial a little and hope for the best.

Hope that helps!

I WILL do my taxes this weekend - my refund will go towards my light. Hoping for enough to get a nanobox! fingerscrossed

omgomgomg Time for some :wizard: (idk, that emoticon just seemed right).

Hey, great news that your landlord gave the go ahead! Timely that the tax rebate is just around the corner. Very exciting!

Archived