Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Thanks everyone.

He would usually be out mushroom-hopping early while I get ready for work. Not today... :unsure:

I gently wrapped him in a paper towel, then wrapped that in plastic wrap, and he's still in the freezer. I'm thinking burial in the spring? Almost thought of a cremation since my BF's friends have a lot of bonfires, but they might think I'm crazy.

Though, I don't want to hang onto him too long. Unfinished business, not honoring the dead, ghost-fish... I'm not very religious, but I still feel his dead fishy body should be respected... (maybe I am crazy!) so he may get a burial at "sea"...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom was all, "ew, gross!" when I told her Alan was in my freezer. -_- She just doesn't understand!

She helped me re-arrange my furniture last night, so there's space for tank #2 when I can get going on it!!

Noticed lots of pods in my tank last night as well as red algae? Maybe cyano? Whatever it is, it's kind of wispy and is isolated to a small-ish spot on my sandbed. Water change tonight!!

Mr. Microscope

Sounds like cyano. Pics would help. Yes, double water change and maybe lights out for 72 hours. Though, let's confirm before taking any drastic action.

Sounds like cyano. Pics would help. Yes, double water change and maybe lights out for 72 hours. Though, let's confirm before taking any drastic action.

I took pics last night but can't post while at work :rolleyes: so they'll be up later this evening.

I'm due for a water change, and I'll test parameters about an hour after the new water circulates into the system.

I normally only test what's below weekly, and I've had steady results the past 4 weeks. Here's what I got on the 7th. Anything else I should be checking for?

Ca: 410

Alk: 8.1

Mag: 1200

Nitrate: 2

Ahh kimber, I am so sorry about Alan! I hadn't been on much lately and only just saw. Again, sorry for your loss.

Thanks, I do miss the little guy. -_-

Is this the bad stuff?

16514976825_77d3eb4db7.jpgWP_20150211_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I siphoned it out with my water change. Hopefully it doesn't come back...

ETA: I suppose it is hard to see. It's the reddish pink tint to the sand. BF thinks it's cyano, but keeps telling me not to worry cause there's not much...

Archived