SaltCritters.com

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spot on Grumple has moved... BF says I should do a freshwater dip cause it's probably a fluke.Poor guy... Yesterday - It was in the middle of his body more towards the purple-y end of his tail: https://flic.kr/p/pXgQ5m'>15721701348_d0f4c10af6_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pXgQ5m'>IMG_5506 by https://www.flickr.com/people/33693274@N00/'>kimothy182, on Flickr Today - Moved up and forward:https://flic.kr/p/qfCcYM'>15918057705_5b6db2dfba_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qfCcYM'>WP_20141130_004 by https://www.flickr.com/people/33693274@N00/'>kimothy182, on Flickr Trying not to flip my sh!t about my poor, poor fish. He'll be ok, till a freshwater dip tomorrow after work right? :( He's eating and socializing as normal. Actually, he's out more and more every day. Hoping this is a good sign despite the little f-er attached to his side! :furious:

Poor fishie! Yes I would think he'll be alright until tomorrow if he's acting normally. I know you'll take good care of him.

Spot on Grumple has moved... BF says I should do a freshwater dip cause it's probably a fluke.

Poor guy...

Yesterday - It was in the middle of his body more towards the purple-y end of his tail:

15721701348_d0f4c10af6_c.jpgIMG_5506 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Today - Moved up and forward:

15918057705_5b6db2dfba_c.jpgWP_20141130_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Trying not to flip my sh!t about my poor, poor fish. He'll be ok, till a freshwater dip tomorrow after work right? :(

He's eating and socializing as normal. Actually, he's out more and more every day. Hoping this is a good sign despite the little f-er attached to his side! :furious:

I saw that spot and was afraid it was a fluke. FF are notorious carriers of flukes. EVERY single FF I've ever had has had them. If the eggs have already dropped into your tank you can treat a full-blown reef tank with prazipro. You just have to follow the directions exactly! I've done it more than one time in my reef-keeping career with never an issue.

He'll definitely be fine until you can freshwater dip him. Make sure the water is the same temperature and pH as your tank. And don't freak out when your fish lays down on it's side and looks dead. They have buoyancy issues in FW. I freaked out a little when I saw it the first time LOL.

Flukes are pretty easy to treat, but it takes multiple treatments to get them all, in my experience :).

I saw that spot and was afraid it was a fluke. FF are notorious carriers of flukes. EVERY single FF I've ever had has had them. If the eggs have already dropped into your tank you can treat a full-blown reef tank with prazipro. You just have to follow the directions exactly! I've done it more than one time in my reef-keeping career with never an issue.

He'll definitely be fine until you can freshwater dip him. Make sure the water is the same temperature and pH as your tank. And don't freak out when your fish lays down on it's side and looks dead. They have buoyancy issues in FW. I freaked out a little when I saw it the first time LOL.

Flukes are pretty easy to treat, but it takes multiple treatments to get them all, in my experience :).

Thanks, Gena! My BF is going to help me get him out and dip tomorrow after work. I'm trying not to worry about him for now.

I would be freaked if he just laid there during a FW dip!! Thank you for the tips!

Thanks, Gena! My BF is going to help me get him out and dip tomorrow after work. I'm trying not to worry about him for now.

I would be freaked if he just laid there during a FW dip!! Thank you for the tips!

I'm in the same boat right now with my 8 gallon. My clowns have been scratching like crazy for a week. This weekend I did a freshwater dip and they are back to normal. I treated prazi in the tank just in case. I'm super nervous about treating such a small tank. I have no idea how they could have gotten it. They are the only fish in there and no new fish have been added for months. I did move some coral from my 65 when I took it down. I wonder should I treat the 34 too. We'll see.

Good luck with the little guy. I think from now on I will freshwater dip fish when I first get them before adding them to the tank.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! :happy:

Grumpleupagus was still sleeping in his rock cave this morning. Poor fella doesn't know what's coming later today...

Roh roh... Fluke is gone...

Grumple may have knocked it off on his own. Unfortunately it's not gone...you just can't see it. Keep checking him for others. They can also hide in their gills.

Did you dip today?

Grumple may have knocked it off on his own. Unfortunately it's not gone...you just can't see it. Keep checking him for others. They can also hide in their gills.

Did you dip today?

Did not dip, but I did stare him down for a good 15 minutes to make sure he was swimming, breathing, eating, looking ok. He actually ate the most I've ever seen him eat today. I checked out my other fishes too and everyone looks fine. All out and swimming so it seems like everyone is ok. fingerscrossed

I wonder if I should skip dipping and treat the tank though...

Did not dip, but I did stare him down for a good 15 minutes to make sure he was swimming, breathing, eating, looking ok. He actually ate the most I've ever seen him eat today. I checked out my other fishes too and everyone looks fine. All out and swimming so it seems like everyone is ok. fingerscrossed

I wonder if I should skip dipping and treat the tank though...

If you're afraid of chemical treatment, you could FW dip the fish as needed (stressful though)...whenever you see flukes on them. The thing is they will breed in the tank. The fluke eggs fall off the fish and land on the rocks and sand. So FW dip will never cure the tank. The prazi treatment doesn't kill eggs, only the adult flukes so it's a mult-stage treatment that you have to do. I think it's every 2 weeks you treat. I can't remember exactly but it's pretty clear on the bottle how to do it successfully. I dragged my feet about treating the whole tank..because it's a PITA...even though it's not really LOL.

If you're afraid of chemical treatment, you could FW dip the fish as needed (stressful though)...whenever you see flukes on them. The thing is they will breed in the tank. The fluke eggs fall off the fish and land on the rocks and sand. So FW dip will never cure the tank. The prazi treatment doesn't kill eggs, only the adult flukes so it's a mult-stage treatment that you have to do. I think it's every 2 weeks you treat. I can't remember exactly but it's pretty clear on the bottle how to do it successfully. I dragged my feet about treating the whole tank..because it's a PITA...even though it's not really LOL.

Think I'm just nervous for both. Don't want to stress them out dipping, don't want to over treat the tank... :unsure:

Think I'm just nervous for both. Don't want to stress them out dipping, don't want to over treat the tank... :unsure:

I totally understand. I did a bunch of research before I did it. You hear people with success stories and people with major failures, crashing their tanks. Makes it hard to take the plunge and treat the tank. But I did it and cringed the whole time LOL. I think if you follow the directions exactly, you will be fine.

Yes, I agree with Gena. I serviced tanks for a lfs for 5 or so years and prazipro is pretty reliably safe. If it were my tank that is what I would do.

The mere threat of a freshwater dip made the fluke fall off! That's how effective it is.

I freshwater dipped my clowns and it was scary but they are doing great. I've also been treating the tank and nothing has even flinched. Even my feather dusters are still out and prazi can kill them.

Water change tomorrow...

Tank has been up and running just shy of 6 months. I was thinking I should take out the heater, media basket, and skimmer to give them a gentle wipe down and to siphon out the rear chambers. Is this necessary? Overkill? Detrimental, even? I'm a clean freak, and usually "deep clean" my living space every 3-6 months. Just wondering if my tank is the same...

Also, halfway through mixing up my water with an old/spare powerhead, an old clump of algae must have dislodged and it's now being chopped up and mixed in with my salt... Ugh. Can I pour this through filter floss as I add to my tank, or did I just inadvertently f-up my water?

Water change tomorrow...

Tank has been up and running just shy of 6 months. I was thinking I should take out the heater, media basket, and skimmer to give them a gentle wipe down and to siphon out the rear chambers. Is this necessary? Overkill? Detrimental, even? I'm a clean freak, and usually "deep clean" my living space every 3-6 months. Just wondering if my tank is the same...

Also, halfway through mixing up my water with an old/spare powerhead, an old clump of algae must have dislodged and it's now being chopped up and mixed in with my salt... Ugh. Can I pour this through filter floss as I add to my tank, or did I just inadvertently f-up my water?

I don't think it'd be detrimental to your tank at all to give it a cleaning in the back!

I would still use the water, but strain out the algae :).

You definitely should clean out the rear chambers from time to time, as the build up of detritus will eventually cause your nutrients to creep up. The easiest way to do this is to put a drawstring filter bag around your return nozzle, and the use a turkey baster to kick up all the crap in the rear chambers. Then, as the pump spits it all out, the bag catches it!

You definitely should clean out the rear chambers from time to time, as the build up of detritus will eventually cause your nutrients to creep up. The easiest way to do this is to put a drawstring filter bag around your return nozzle, and the use a turkey baster to kick up all the crap in the rear chambers. Then, as the pump spits it all out, the bag catches it!

Genius and so simple! I never thought of doing it that way!

Archived