Pod Your Reef

Maxspect RipTide

CoralVue Aquarium Products

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I re read and its a trademark issue...

"As we mentioned at the top, the name for this gyre generating device has been changed slightly from when it was introduced. Originally, it was called the RipTide Gyre Generator, but due to trademarking issues, the name was changed to just Gyre. We loved the name RipTide, but certainly won’t be losing any sleep over the change."

lol, I read that paragraph but it apparently didn't sink in.. I realized they were changing the name but didn't even catch the trademark bit..

Price is disappointing IMO. I was expecting something around the same price as Jebao, that was what it seemed to imply to me. I was going to get the nano one for my 20L but might just get a RW-4 now.

Price is disappointing IMO. I was expecting something around the same price as Jebao, that was what it seemed to imply to me. I was going to get the nano one for my 20L but might just get a RW-4 now.

The price is high but keep in mind that price is for the pump for the bigger tanks, the ones for the nano tanks are going to be priced closer to the jebao line. I don't think you will need 4200 gallons per hour flowing through your tank ;)

The price is high but keep in mind that price is for the pump for the bigger tanks, the ones for the nano tanks are going to be priced closer to the jebao line. I don't think you will need 4200 gallons per hour flowing through your tank ;)

Exactly...an mp40 has a max flow rate of 3200 at a price of $400-465. The largest riptide is $300 for a 4200gph pump, a $100 less. Im not jumping off the band wagon just yet....they still have to release the price for the smaller pumps which looks like will be less than an MP10 and prob more likely that ppl on this site will use.

Exactly...an mp40 has a max flow rate of 3200 at a price of $400-465. The largest riptide is $300 for a 4200gph pump, a $100 less. Im not jumping off the band wagon just yet....they still have to release the price for the smaller pumps which looks like will be less than an MP10 and prob more likely that ppl on this site will use.

I believe this was the price for the second largest one, the 35, I believe there will also be a 45. Hopping On the wagon.

Valid points, I must have misread and thought I saw nano @ $299. If they can do the nano for around $100 it would be perfect.

If it's over $100 though I think I'd be better off spending extra cash on better lighting.

If they made it Apex compatable it would be very cool. Everybody and his dog seems to want to create an app enabled product. Its going to get to a stage where we will need a dozen apps just to control our tanks lol!

At the moment an xmas launch for a nano model is just too far out for me.

I really want to like this product. We've seen what it does for huge 5-6 feet tanks. I personally have a 33 long so it's shallow and long. ONE mp10 does a decent job, two would be ideal (which I don't have). But shallow long tanks could really benefit from a product like the "riptide". Now let's see that nano riptide video!

I'm certainly going to get one for my 220 gallon reef. I am going to place it on the middle back of the aquarium and see how it works. Love trying new products and this looks and seems like it is going to be very beneficial.

There will be three: 25W, 35W and 45W from what I was told today.

MP10 uses 8-18 watts. This newer product is less energy efficient?

News about the pricing and development delay for the nano is disappointing to say the least.

I believe this was the price for the second largest one, the 35, I believe there will also be a 45. Hopping On the wagon.

Yep youre right my mistake. I believe this is how they will compare:

MP10 vs 25W

MP40 vs 35W

MP60 vs 45W

Yep youre right my mistake. I believe this is how they will compare:

MP10 vs 25W

MP40 vs 35W

MP60 vs 45W

I believe there is going to be 1 or 2 smaller models as well that have yet to be specified.

CoralVue Aquarium Products

Chis, just left you a voice mail.

Sorry, I was traveling over the weekend. Please call me today!

985-718-1465

Another angle to the pricing controversy here is that for most tanks, you would not just be getting ONE MP10/MP40/Jebao powerhead, but rather 2 or more. Judging by those videos, you probably won't need to have more than one Gyre unit in the tank, and therefore the Gyre is even cheaper in practice than in theory. One thing is sure: if the Gyre lives up to its promise, it'll be a game-changer, just like LEDs were for the lighting industry. Though, I definitely have to second the call for a video of it in action in a nano tank!

• 3 weeks later...

Ben I know what you mean. lol. All the hype of macna and no reports back? I do know someone who got to play with the riptide and he said it was pretty awesome and he will for sure end up with a few. And this is coming from a guy with 7 mp10 and 2-3 mp40.

R2R people said the small model will come out in November/Dec and the larger one after the first of the new year. Other than that no new info or controller info

Just saw a video from macna 2014 on youtube and they said there's 3 sizes. Smallest is the 35w then goes to 50w, and 75w largest. The 50w is under $300 and moves about 5000gph and its in black.

Can't figure out how to get the video on here but it's on coralvue youtube page if anyone wants to put it on here. I'm excited for this product and can't wait!

R2R people said the small model will come out in November/Dec and the larger one after the first of the new year. Other than that no new info or controller info

Where did this come from? It has been said for months that the big one will come out in October and the smaller ones nov/dec...

Just saw a video from macna 2014 on youtube and they said there's 3 sizes. Smallest is the 35w then goes to 50w, and 75w largest. The 50w is under $300 and moves about 5000gph and its in black.

Can't figure out how to get the video on here but it's on coralvue youtube page if anyone wants to put it on here. I'm excited for this product and can't wait!

Here ya go :)

Archived