Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxspect RipTide

CoralVue Aquarium Products

Gyres don't necessarily need multiple pumps to work, and 'random' flow is not the goal, as random flow happens when you are canceling out the flow from another power head, which doesn't make sense to do. The entire water column gets moving with relatively little overall flow. It can't be beaten for nutrient and oxygen transport, and SPS tanks would benefit greatly from it.

All that I understand, but sps love to get beat up with flow. The flow this is creating seems a lot more gentle. When I upgraded my pumps and really got things moving all my sps got better. Better color, better PE. My PE has never been great when I setup the tank to have a more gentle flow. I look at how much water my tank is moving and can't believe it, but my sticks are happier then ever.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

All that I understand, but sps love to get beat up with flow. The flow this is creating seems a lot more gentle. When I upgraded my pumps and really got things moving all my sps got better. Better color, better PE. My PE has never been great when I setup the tank to have a more gentle flow. I look at how much water my tank is moving and can't believe it, but my sticks are happier then ever.

Think about how it works in the ocean - the entire ocean is in motion, but if you look at video, nothing is getting 'beaten up' with flow. Increased flow means that the corals now have a higher chance of capturing prey (which is 100% the point of polyp extension) and so they extend more up to a point (SPS have their limits, as well).

If you don't believe me that you can get more flow with less flow, you can use your current powerheads to set up a gyre. Just take them and position them in opposite corners of the tank facing each other, run one for a few hours, then switch it off and run the other. Notice the swirling action, and watch your corals.

I looked through your thread but I have no clue what powerheads you're using now.

Think about how it works in the ocean - the entire ocean is in motion, but if you look at video, nothing is getting 'beaten up' with flow. Increased flow means that the corals now have a higher chance of capturing prey (which is 100% the point of polyp extension) and so they extend more up to a point (SPS have their limits, as well).

If you don't believe me that you can get more flow with less flow, you can use your current powerheads to set up a gyre. Just take them and position them in opposite corners of the tank facing each other, run one for a few hours, then switch it off and run the other. Notice the swirling action, and watch your corals.

I looked through your thread but I have no clue what powerheads you're using now.

I'm using tunze 6095 now. The tank started with mp10s. Unfortunately since i had to run close to 100% they were too noisy for me. Still had a lot of dead spots too. I then tried the jebao rw8. Sold those and now I have two tunze 6095. The flow with these is great and I'm happy so far. I tried a mp40 that a friend brought over also, but 1 left lots of dead spots, and 2 would be overkill. My tank unfortunately has been tough to get closing right. It's wide, but not very long. Also has the dumb center overflow that I kind of regret now.'

Also. Don't know how much time u spend in the ocean. I dive and spend almost every weekend I can offshore. To say the ocean is not rough is a little wrong. I cannot count the times I have been diving where I find my self fighting currents from different directions that constantly change. While it's obviously a lot different then multiple pumps fighting each other it's definitely a lot more violent then a gentle gyre in a aquarium. I think this pump looks great. In a sps heavy tank maybe it might need more then 1 or some playing around with.

The only thing I can think of that might be a negative (besides possibly no battery backup!) is it looks like it would create micro bubbles?

I then tried the jebao rw8.

How come you didn't like it?

From the Bulk Reef Supply video one distinct advantage is that you can place the Riptide close to the surface without sucking air into the tank. At least from the demo... couldn't see any evidence of microbubbles and that was with multiple changes in configuration.

Anyone have a good definition of a gyre. I know what it is 'approximately' from the video but am at a loss of words in describing what it means...

Gyre is mass water movement in one direction, so the water column moves in a circular motion.

Thanks. That simplifies things. Would be good if the Riptide literature mentions this outright (unless I missed it). Really looking forward to the small version of this.

From the Bulk Reef Supply video one distinct advantage is that you can place the Riptide close to the surface without sucking air into the tank. At least from the demo... couldn't see any evidence of microbubbles and that was with multiple changes in configuration.

Anyone have a good definition of a gyre. I know what it is 'approximately' from the video but am at a loss of words in describing what it means...

At 1:26ish in the video of the big tank, there are tons of bubbles in the water. You can see as the water gets pulled down on the opposite end, it is pulling down air bubbles.

The only thing I can think of that might be a negative (besides possibly no battery backup!) is it looks like it would create micro bubbles?

How come you didn't like it?

Honestly I didn't like them purely on looks. The pumps looked a lot smaller online. They moved plenty of water and the control was pretty good for its price point.

I've been doing a lil more research on the riptide. Seems a lot of sps people have commented something similar to what I was saying. They don't think a single gyre moving in one direction all the time would be the best in a sps tank. I guess we will have to see what's up when they are released! One thing for sure, for the size they definitely impress. It's no small feet to move water 5 1/2 feet in a reef tank.

The only thing I noticed in the video was that it had other sources of flow. Tunze stream, educator pumps, ect. I wonder if those other powerheads were also running?

jedimasterben

They have their own controllers and according to CoralVue they can switch directions.

As to the comments from others on not working for SPS, most coral farms use gyres so that don't need to spends thousands of dollars on water movement. :)

And i would assume some of them are the same "old timers" that said that fluorescent lights can't grow corals, only halides, then LEDs can't grow corals, only fluorescents, you can't use algae scrubbers for nutrient export, only skimmers can do that, etc. :)

They have their own controllers and according to CoralVue they can switch directions.

As to the comments from others on not working for SPS, most coral farms use gyres so that don't need to spends thousands of dollars on water movement. :)

Just because coral farms use it doesn't make it better. It's makes it cheaper. Come on Ben ;)

At the end of the day all I'm saying is the following. The water flow in the ocean is pretty serious. Anyone who has spent time out there knows that. You have tidal changes, surges, storms, ect. All types of stuff! The ocean is not one big gyre of gentle flow. I was diving last weekend and it was a little rough. It was the life size version of a tank with a couple vortech pumps in nutrient transport...lol...I was tired once i got back up. It's not always like that. There are days u can sit on the ocean floor and not move. Just giving a example

Also it was actually 2 very successful sps keepers and coral vendors that said this. The day you run 3,000 gallons of water and have the type of corals these guys have, I'll listen to you too. ;)

ClownTriggerDude

I know I only have one good eye, but haven't see anything that states what tank sizes do they have ?

We have a 29g BioCube, 40 breeder and 150 reef.

I am personally most interested in the pulse mode that closely simulates a "surge" type setup. I am also curious to see how this type of laminar "gyre" flow affects the natural growth formation of SPS.

I will end up trying one out at some point, just unsure which tank I will throw it on, and if I will remove the Vortechs, or run them along side it.

I know I only have one good eye, but haven't see anything that states what tank sizes do they have ?

We have a 29g BioCube, 40 breeder and 150 reef.

I don't think they released that info but pictures show many different sizes:

riptide-gyre-generator-pump-2.jpg

ClownTriggerDude

Looks like there'll be several sizes. I signed up on their site to get notified when it's available.

Thanks !

I am personally most interested in the pulse mode that closely simulates a "surge" type setup. I am also curious to see how this type of laminar "gyre" flow affects the natural growth formation of SPS.

I will end up trying one out at some point, just unsure which tank I will throw it on, and if I will remove the Vortechs, or run them along side it.

I think the surge is going to best simulate vortechs nutrient transport mode.

I know with my hammer I can watch it bend over time if it is subjected to flow in one direction same with my sps. I think iideally this will need a mode that ramps up and down sort of like waves coming in and out. Doing 2 smaller ones on opposite sides of the tank with one pushing and the other pulling with them switching roles will provide the best effects.

Oceans don't have constant flow rates and even if there is a random mode like vortech reef crest you will still have a gyre simply due to the design of the riptide. The gyre won't be a constant speed though but you will still have the effects of a gyre.

The only thing I can think of that might be a negative (besides possibly no battery backup!)

I'm curious why this is a problem and I've seen a couple people mention in... Couldn't you just go buy a battery backup built for a PC?

What is so special about the vortech battery backup? For that kind of money (even cheaper) you can get a really nice backup like this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z4ITWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I1JHBBPJIBHI&coliid=I1H6V925Z4RL4N

Nanofreak79

That goes to a refractometer. The battery back up for the vortechs last a very long time compared to a ups.

I'm curious why this is a problem and I've seen a couple people mention in... Couldn't you just go buy a battery backup built for a PC?

What is so special about the vortech battery backup? For that kind of money (even cheaper) you can get a really nice backup like this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z4ITWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I1JHBBPJIBHI&coliid=I1H6V925Z4RL4N

Wrong link :P

it lasts 72 hours and cuts the mp10 power lower during a power outage to make it last so long. A UPS is kinda useless imo. I don't care if my tank doesn't have flow for a couple hours but I care if it doesn't for the whole weekend. More so if I am out of town.

My bad... this is what I was looking at. http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403187126&sr=8-5&keywords=battery+backup

I wonder what size the actual battery is inside the vortech, that would determine how long the pump could last on one.

There is some threads on it. The case can be popped open and the battery replaced for about $50 when it goes bad so no need to buy a new one at their asking price.

I have done 14 hours on it before when the power went out.

Archived