Coral Vue Hydros

Maxspect RipTide

CoralVue Aquarium Products

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! At speed 5 it is really pushing water. I really can't wait to see the price points and the smaller ones. I definitely want one.

It's looking like the Maxspect RipTide will be available in both clear and black.

Chris

The sample we have also has a pluse mode that will create a wave action.

Chris

Next video should be one showing it reversing flow :)

Hopefully they will create a reefcrest type mode. If they already have a pulse mode next step is reefcrest.

jedimasterben

The sample we have also has a pluse mode that will create a wave action.

Chris

Waves are garbage for a feature unless you're trying to stir up detritus - but with gyre flow that is unnecessary so long as it can, indeed, switch flow direction. Getting the whole water column moving will keep things in suspension.

Hopefully they will create a reefcrest type mode. If they already have a pulse mode next step is reefcrest.

Wouldn't really be necessary. This device is meant to get the entire water column moving at once. There is no need for that to vary during the day other than to switch directions. If you attempt to vary the flow, then the gyre will cease.

Waves are garbage for a feature unless you're trying to stir up detritus - but with gyre flow that is unnecessary so long as it can, indeed, switch flow direction. Getting the whole water column moving will keep things in suspension.

Wouldn't really be necessary. This device is meant to get the entire water column moving at once. There is no need for that to vary during the day other than to switch directions. If you attempt to vary the flow, then the gyre will cease.

A random pulse mode that switches direction would simulate the tides would it not? If you do a pulse mode that is the wave crashing in and then if it goes in reverse that would simulate waves receeding or the tide coming out

jedimasterben

A random pulse mode that switches direction would simulate the tides would it not? If you do a pulse mode that is the wave crashing in and then if it goes in reverse that would simulate waves receeding or the tide coming out

The function of these would be to make a gyre, and alternating/pulsing the flow would slow/stop the gyre. I'll test it once I get my hands on one, but gentle, mass water flow will provide all the 'random' flow that corals need.

Howard@Maxspect

Couldn't agree more with you, waves are not really the ideal "flow" for any aquarium, it's good for... well... showing off to your buddies when they come over to your house, and when they're gone, I'm pretty sure everyone would set the pumps back to random mode.

Please allow me to post an animated GIF from wikipedia, it shows you waves are basically moving the same column of water horizontally, not really helping the exchange of water within an aquarium.

Deep_water_wave.gif

So then why do we have a "wave making" mode? Well, like I said above, to show off to your buddies :D It's so easy to make waves with just any pump we figured why not? Making gyres within an aquarium, on the other hand, isn't as easy and often requires multiple synchronized powerheads/wavemakers, (or with just a single Riptide B) ) so the focus of the Riptide is still making gyres within an aquarium.

jedimasterben

Couldn't agree more with you, waves are not really the ideal "flow" for any aquarium, it's good for... well... showing off to your buddies when they come over to your house, and when they're gone, I'm pretty sure everyone would set the pumps back to random mode.

Please allow me to post an animated GIF from wikipedia, it shows you waves are basically moving the same column of water horizontally, not really helping the exchange of water within an aquarium.

Deep_water_wave.gif

So then why do we have a "wave making" mode? Well, like I said above, to show off to your buddies :D It's so easy to make waves with just any pump we figured why not? Making gyres within an aquarium, on the other hand, isn't as easy and often requires multiple synchronized powerheads/wavemakers, (or with just a single Riptide B) ) so the focus of the Riptide is still making gyres within an aquarium.

Pretty much if you left it off, people would bitch and moan to no end, even though it looks terrible and most won't leave it there :D

I can't wait to get my hands on one. Have you gotten any more data you can release on them yet?

Look for a new video and pre-register page tonight/tomorrow morning on the front banner of the CoralVue website.

I preregistered and that video is awesome. I really liked that surge effect. I can't wait to experiment with the different modes in my tank. Is there any info on the controller/ control app? How many modes will there be for the production model and will we be able to create a custom mode for our tank?

Archived