Pod Your Reef

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

I've had 3 of my Trochus snails die now man... I dunno what's up with them. All params and everything are perfect! I think they must have a very short life-span or I'm getting crappy ones from the LFS..

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had 3 of my Trochus snails die now man... I dunno what's up with them. All params and everything are perfect! I think they must have a very short life-span or I'm getting crappy ones from the LFS..

Sorry to hear that man. My Guppy just died in my Freshwater Community tank. Pretty bummed. I've never seen colorations like this one had...

This guy took care of the body...

Black Kuhli Loach

BlackKuhliLoach.jpg

I was freaking out because I couldn't find my Cerith Snail. Of course, he was outside of the water. My clamp for my light actually createds this little ledge on which he climbs and then he gets stuck. I plugged it up with some spare filter floss and it should be okay now. I think I'm gonna get another CUC member or two today. Probably just one.

Here's my current stock list:

1 Trochus

1 Cerith

1 Nassarius

1 Fighting Conch

1 Emerald Crab

1 Tailspot Blenny :wub: (Still shy as ever...)

Do you think one more Snail is enough?

Should I get a YCG?!

A YCG would be awesome, I love those guys!

You've got such a great variety, I wish I had more variety. I might try to hunt down a cerith snail or something.

How is the emerald crab? They look pretty neat and I've heard take good care of algae? Do they post a risk to corals? Do they post a risk to tank-mates like my shrimp, goby, or clown? I'd be worried of them attacking and snipping at them..

I tested my Nitrates and they're still at zero. Every day I turkey-baste(? haha) down to the bottom of the tank, and aerate the sand myself. I have Special Grad Reef Sand, which is relatively coarse in comparison to others, and my tank clears back up in minutes. I think it keeps my nitrates down too. And my creatures are starting to like it, especially my Nassarius!

I don't know why, but my surface skimming is impeccable, and I have to hand it to the Hydor Rotating Deflector. If you don't have one, get one. $8 later, I'm almost certain I could put some beginner SPS in my tank with the 606 on the other end of the Hydor. I have no dead spots nor salt creep, not even in the corner where my Cobalt heater and Mag-Float are residing.

A YCG would be awesome, I love those guys!

You've got such a great variety, I wish I had more variety. I might try to hunt down a cerith snail or something.

How is the emerald crab? They look pretty neat and I've heard take good care of algae? Do they post a risk to corals? Do they post a risk to tank-mates like my shrimp, goby, or clown? I'd be worried of them attacking and snipping at them..

I kinda wanna hold off in the Goby the more I think about it. I'm worried about pushing my bioload too quickly. I haven't even really fed my Tailspot yet. (They graze a lot for algae, but I have not seen him do it. I am at work for long hours mostly, though.) However, I think feeding the YCG might entice the Blenny to come out of his shell! They, too, are curious creatures and like to inspect they're environment. Very sociable. As are YCG's.

Your Pistol and a potential Emerald Crab would almost certainly get into a fight at least once. I think the pistol would just massacre him; his turf, and that damned claw... He would crack the shell of the Emerald. Emeralds are slow scavengers, not hunters. And they don't fare well in a tank that size when with other large inverts like itself. I find Emerald Crabs to be very curious creatures. My Tailspot already gets pissed when the crab wanders into his cave at night...

If you're having trouble finding snails, I could buy a couple for you and send them...

Bella's Reef

Tailspots are awesome! Ours has been in our tank for two weeks now, he is venturing out & exploring more and more every day.

Tailspots are awesome! Ours has been in our tank for two weeks now, he is venturing out & exploring more and more every day.

I really hope mine gets more comfortable soon! He's the only fish in there right now, aside from the inverts and such.

I would try to entice the tailspot to eat so you can see him do it. Maybe offer him some frozen brine with spirolina in it. Don't feed a whole cube, just slice a little off while its still frozen. You could try a few spectra pellets too. You want to see him eat while he is still transitioning into your tank.

I saw him nibble at some New Era Aquaculture Marine Pellets on his first day in the tank. I'm driving home with some new friends for him as we speak!

I saw him nibble at some New Era Aquaculture Marine Pellets om his first day in the tank. I'm driving home with some new friends for him as we speak!

Hope this means we will be getting some pictures haha :happy:

I hope the goby brings Blenny the jet out of his shell. Maybe inverts intimidate him and he was out numbered. I'm thinking a blenny and a goby are a match for the inverts.LOL

Dude!! That YCG is so cool! Looks like a baby too haha, awesome!

Can't wait to see what he does with the Blenny. They'll be best buddies.

I hope the goby brings Blenny the jet out of his shell. Maybe inverts intimidate him and he was out numbered. I'm thinking a blenny and a goby are a match for the inverts.LOL

That's what I'm hoping too! Once he sees the Goby eating, I'm sure he'll start roaming around :)

Dude!! That YCG is so cool! Looks like a baby too haha, awesome!

Can't wait to see what he does with the Blenny. They'll be best buddies.

He's a juvenile, yep! not even an inch long yet. The cute girl at the LFS asked me which one I wanted and I picked the little one :happy: He is very awesome, indeed, thank you!

Love the YCG! :happy: he's so cute! I hope the blenny and goby will be friends! Tank is looking better every day!

FlowerMama

Maybe those trochus died for not having enough to eat?

Love the YCG. I also have a yellow clown goby and tailspot. The YCG is shy, timid and it probably took a week before she reached the middle of the tank and then went back to the edge where she felt comfortable. Then she started using acans to rest her weary self, or on top of some zoas, Now she bounces around in many rest areas.

I'm at work right now for about 4 more hours and I can't wait to get home! My Blenny was getting a little aggressive toward the new Goby. It was as if those two and my Emerald were all fighting over the same spot under the rock. My Blenny was pushing into the Goby but it didn't seem to hurt him. Tailspots don't have many teeth. (if any?) Right before I left for work, everyone was resting and not being mean so I hope it stays that way!

NanoClown

your new YCG is such a cutie! :wub:

I hope in the end your fish settle their disputes and all get along as tank mates

Blenny The Jet is a dick... He rammed into my Nassarius Snail and knocked him against the glass just because it was waltzing past his cave. Anyone else have a Tailspot this territorial? I placed some food near the opening to his hut. I guess he ate some? I'm not sure. The pellet was in his mouth then he moved it to the other opening where he spits unwanted stones from his cave. I'm not sure if he was eating or cleaning... Haha

FlowerMama

It's probably temporary until it knows his place is solely his. Mine did have to become more quick at grabbing food because of the 6line but after his demise he returned to his quieter self. That fast bully competition was now gone. Maybe push the center rock back left a little and put a smaller accent rock diagonal on the right to break it up a little? Maybe that will help w/ the territorialism. Kinda hard to have one rock w/ 2 fish. Make sure to get some Garlic Extreme if you see the YCG not eating fast enough and if it starts to get thin, it picked up the appetite of mine.

Hey dude, he sounds like me when I wake up in the morning hahaha.. Don't be in my way.

Hope he eats soon! My clowns wouldn't touch mysis, my 1mm pellet, or my dried mysis flakes.

They went gonzo over garlic pellet dust though... It's tiny tiny pellets.. So I'd definitely recommend some garlic stuff like 1sttimereefer said!

Blenny The Jet swims right past Piccolo (new name for my YCG!) now, as far as I've seen. I think once Piccolo starts to get comfortable and occupy the top of the rock and upper portion of the tank, things will be fine. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the little guy has been in the tank. I should stop overreacting right?! I'm gonna grab some herbivorous food for The Jet in the next few days, any suggestions? I don't think these pellets are for him. My Fighting Conch , Nassarius, and Emerald went ape-shit for the New Era Aquaculture Marine Pellets. Aquariums all over the world are switching to this feeding system. It's the highest quality pellet/flake I've come across.

Blenny The Jet swims right past Piccolo (new name for my YCG!) now, as far as I've seen. I think once Piccolo starts to get comfortable and occupy the top of the rock and upper portion of the tank, things will be fine. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the little guy has been in the tank. I should stop overreacting right?! I'm gonna grab some herbivorous food for The Jet in the next few days, any suggestions? I don't think these pellets are for him. My Fighting Conch , Nassarius, and Emerald went ape-shit for the New Era Aquaculture Marine Pellets. Aquariums all over the world are switching to this feeding system. It's the highest quality pellet/flake I've come across.

I've read that tailspots will eat anything but they have to get algae or they get constipated and bloated. Just look at his belly, supposedly if it starts getting bloated thats a bad sign. And the garlic thing if they don't eat like firsttimereffer said. Your tank is really moving along, liking it bro.

Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot. There's definitely plenty of algae for him to eat... I have just about every species that isn't detrimental to a reef...

Archived