SaltCritters.com

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see anything wrong w/ his tail. You mentioned 14 hrs of lights, I'd suggest decreasing to like 8 hrs a day or you will have too much algae though. I just use a cheap $5 timer from the home improvement store so it's on around 3p and off at 11:30 so I've had the whole time to enjoy when I've been home.

The coolest thing is watching 10 Nassarius raise up from the sandbed when they smell food. It's like Walking Dead Nassarius.

I'm definitely gonna pick up a Caribbean Cerith Snail, but I want one more unique member to my crew. Many would say I am understocked. I may get another Nassarius Snail (hopefully a different species or color) to churn the sand a little more, but my Conch seems to be a bulldozer, getting to the bottom of my tank with his tongue; and I have at least a 3 inch sandbed!

I want another cool invert or crustacean to add to the crew! Any suggestions?

I don't see anything wrong w/ his tail. You mentioned 14 hrs of lights, I'd suggest decreasing to like 8 hrs a day or you will have too much algae though. I just use a cheap $5 timer from the home improvement store so it's on around 3p and off at 11:30 so I've had the whole time to enjoy when I've been home.

I just found out that its his operculum, which I just learned is something that protects the opening to their shell when their soft body is retracted! It's the exact shape and size of that opening... So I deleted my post!

I have the lights on a great timer i picked up. My Corralline growth is great right now, and I want my CUC to have something to eat. Not advisable?

I just found out that its his operculum, which I just learned is something that protects the opening to their shell when their soft body is retracted! It's the exact shape and size of that opening... So I deleted my post!

I have the lights on a great timer i picked up. My Corralline growth is great right now, and I want my CUC to have something to eat. Not advisable?

they'll have something to eat even w/ 8 or 10, you just don't to grow a lot of algae that may be difficult to remove. And if it grows on some corals it could harm them, they could close up, etc.

I want another cool invert or crustacean to add to the crew! Any suggestions?

Shrimp. Cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp. But be warn that cleaner shrimps are jerks and will steal food from your coral when you are feeding them. They also like to run up your finger/arm. Scared the crap out of me the first time my cleaner shrimp picked at my hand.

Shrimp. Cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp. But be warn that cleaner shrimps are jerks and will steal food from your coral when you are feeding them. They also like to run up your finger/arm. Scared the crap out of me the first time my cleaner shrimp picked at my hand.

Will he and my Emerald hurt one another?

they'll have something to eat even w/ 8 or 10, you just don't to grow a lot of algae that may be difficult to remove. And if it grows on some corals it could harm them, they could close up, etc.

I got them on from 10 AM - 1 PM, then 5 PM- 10 PM now. Thanks a bunch!

Great, everything is going so well for you so far!. Love the conch. I also get a kick out of watching the nassarius, once their periscope is on it, they just bust outta the sand so quick. I've also picked them up w/ large tweezers to move them to the back of the tank while I'm feeding because those suckers can move fast and have no problem climbing on acans and pulling food out.

I cut down my lights to 6 hours a day. I've seen a lot of algae die-off recently, even the stuff I thought was Bryopsis, and my CUC are out working hard! I'm gonna get a Caribbean Cerith and maybe another snail.

Nitrates are at ZERO!

IMAG0430_zpsevil4nio.jpg

Any chance Nitrates are being tied up and not detectable somehow? Or should I just applaud myself?

treborzelev

I cut down my lights to 6 hours a day. I'veconcerned lot of algae die-off recently, even the stuff I thought was Bryopsis, and my CUC are out working hard! I'm gonna get a Caribbean Cerith and maybe another snail.

Nitrates are at ZERO!

IMAG0430_zpsevil4nio.jpg

Any chance Nitrates are being tied up and not detectable somehow? Or should I just applaud myself?

with the zero reading i always get a little concerned...what food do u feed the tank and what is you total cuc currently? Also yes you will be able to add more to your cuc but take it slow!

When you are ready for fish bicolor or tailspot blennies are nice. They graze on algae and have awesome personalities. I currently have a midas blenny but they can be a bit bossier and are better added as a last fish. Another nice but sometimes bossy fish is a royal gramma. Their bright fuscia and yellow coloring is striking.

When you are ready for fish bicolor or tailspot blennies are nice. They graze on algae and have awesome personalities. I currently have a midas blenny but they can be a bit bossier and are better added as a last fish. Another nice but sometimes bossy fish is a royal gramma. Their bright fuscia and yellow coloring is striking.

+1 to tailspot but i think 5 gallons is too small for bicolor blenny or royal gamma.

Damn! You hit zero nitrate! I haven't seen that since when my tank was empty hahaha...

Did you smack the bottom of nitrate botle # 2 on a hard surface and shake the crap outta it??

Man this is looking awesome - I think we need a FTS now.. haha!!

I added a few more snails last night as I noticed my tank getting dirty. I'm taking what you're doing though and trying to cut back light.. going to go down to 9 hours (was at 11 hours before).

Honestly, I might just pick up a Yellow Clown Goby. I don't even have any coral yet, and I feel like there isn't much room. One dude has like 6 fish, two anemones, and a whole bunch of coral. How much water can be left?

LadyOfIreland

+1 to clown goby ^_^ I saw a post earlier suggesting a pipefish. I would recommend staying away from any pipefish for at least 6 months to a year, to let your tank establish a nice, healthy stock of pods. Pipefish are like seahorses, and will eat the tiny pods in your tank. Since your tank is so new, there will not be nearly enough pods to keep a pipe from starvation.

If you can find one, I like the green clown goby. It has a more unique coloration to it and I don't see too many of them in these tanks. I can only find yellow and black clowns here though.

Green Gobies are available to me, but they just seem too timid. Most Pipefish are just too big or complicated. YCG's are the most active and friendly gobies you can buy.

I was gonna get a Green or Pink Birdsnest... Would that be a problem for with the YCG?

Archived