SaltCritters.com

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Day 31:

Did lots of tests today...

1625615_10152384632095309_11735933249839

10268432_10152384631645309_9185936707061

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Ph: 8.1

Kh/ Alk: 160ppm

Calcium: 450 mg

Sg: 1.026

Temp: 77.8*F

I swapped out the original filter material. Pretty sure it was useless? haha.. I still have to get working on planning a media rack with floss, and plugging that side hole eventually. When I switched out the Purigen and Chemipure, my WHOLE tank got super cloudy as it stirred everything up. (Not black cloudy, I rinsed out the media VERY well!) But it cleared up very quickly and it's back to normal now..

10310524_10152384631790309_2657555978666

My Acan has opened up a bit more. Excited to see how it reacts during feeding time.

10170949_10152384632455309_3026813617164

Top down of my hammer. My Goby knocked the hammer down today and one of the heads was kind of pushed up against the glass. Hopefully it didn't harm it..

10262004_10152384632315309_4107366756031

Also, I've noticed my glass is building up some algae / diatoms inside. I took my cleaner to it, but some of the spots are super difficult to get to because of how I have my tank setup. I'm down a snail since one died. These guys used to motor all over the glass but now they usually sit on the rocks! Any ideas?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow your calcium is good are you dosing? Or are you using reef salt

Definitely not dosing... must be the water I'm using. It's premixed (Which I don't mind spending a bit of cash on!)

Looks great, glad to see those nitrates coming down

Should be good after a nice big water change this weekend! Picked up some more water change supplies (Juice jugs! They work perfect for this small tank)

I'll give you some love, baby. ;) Definitely do a water change! You can get your nitrates to near zero, which is ideal, and it'll prevent a large algae outbreak. Your Hammer will be fine and looks like it has already grown a bit. Probably from that sick Par-38 bulb. I love those purple bulbs and the shimmer effect you get. My next light, thank you.

You might see some critters in mine today!

I'll give you some love, baby. ;) Definitely do a water change! You can get your nitrates to near zero, which is ideal, and it'll prevent a large algae outbreak. Your Hammer will be fine and looks like it has already grown a bit. Probably from that sick Par-38 bulb. I love those purple bulbs and the shimmer effect you get. My next light, thank you. You might see some critters in mine today!

Thanks my friend!! Can't wait to see your CUC!!! I'm patiently waiting!

Yeah gonna do a good 2G change tomorrow! The camera exaggerates the colors of the light a bit. Funny thing is I have a really awesome camera (I'm into photography/ video on the side) but still haven't fully perfected shooting the tank.

Nah dude it's still a nice light. In person, I'm sure it's just as awesome. These tanks were made to be viewed from all it's sides, but most of us still use one focal point; just the front. It's so slim so there's really not that much of a perception of depth. Kinda makes it difficult to shoot! And I might do a water change today before I acclimate anyone! I'm OCD, brotha.

Nah dude it's still a nice light. In person, I'm sure it's just as awesome. These tanks were made to be viewed from all it's sides, but most of us still use one focal point; just the front. It's so slim so there's really not that much of a perception of depth. Kinda makes it difficult to shoot! And I might do a water change today before I acclimate anyone! I'm OCD, brotha.

Tons of pics are mandatory!

I get decent shots with my HTC phone but I have nothing but algae on my glass and I'm hoping a CUC eats it. I could scrub it but I don't want them to starve. I'm a patient man! Definitely pics by Sunday morning at the latest!

I get decent shots with my HTC phone but I have nothing but algae on my glass and I'm hoping a CUC eats it. I could scrub it but I don't want them to starve. I'm a patient man! Definitely pics by Sunday morning at the latest!

Since my one poor snail died, I've began a very small buildup of algae on my glass.

These two I have now seem to be sticking to the rocks.

Day 32:

Sorry no updates today guys..

My beloved Goby decided to somehow jump through the small opening on the Fluval Spec top.

Pretty upset.

Going to the LFS today for a new Goby hopefully.

Just sucks cause he was so damn good at eating and had become a machine.. him and my shrimp were best pals.

Day 33:

Found an awesome deal on a dremel today. Regular $80, on sale for $29. So I picked it up. My previous lid mod was done using a dremel that I borrowed from a friend. Now I have my own, so I dremeled a bit more space because the clamp for the Par38 gooseneck didn't fit. I also dremeled a spot for my Koralia pump cable. Fits perfect now without any vibration!

I also found some metal thin wiring that I cut out perfectly to fit over-top of the opening on the stock Spec V lid.

Although it doesn't look all that amazing, it serves a big purpose in keeping my next fish alive.

My Shrimp won't come out to eat. He seemed to rely on the goby to know when it was "feeding time."

So I used my turkey baster and put the shrimps in his area and he was hungry, grabbed his usual portion to eat. Also spot fed my Acan's. They've already fattened up a bit in 2 days!!! So pleased about that.

One of my snails hasn't moved all day, so I decided to move him and see what was up. He's WAY DEEP in his shell that I can only see a TINY piece of him using a bright flashlight to peer inside. He's in there for-sure, but he's gone deep in his shell. Does anybody have any idea why a snail would do this? Has he died too? I've perched him up on a rock this time because my last snail got eaten by my pistol shrimp. See if he comes out by tomorrow morning.

I've beginning to build up some grime on the inside of my glass. One spot has built a bit up is right beside my Hammer coral and I can't fit my magfloat in there to clean it! Any ideas?

Sorry a big jumble of a post.

I didn't make it out to the LFS today sadly. Afternoon got pretty busy so I never got a chance.

Should be going tomorrow for sure.

Get a nimble nano or nano mag cleaner. Much stronger magnet on the nano mag but the nimble has a more even clean if that makes sense. I don't think the mag float works that great in this narrow tank.

Archived