Pod Your Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheDude324

Haha allright that comforting to know that i dont have to drop cash on those exspensive chemicals! I might do it anyway just because.....

Thanks alot !

no problem where do you plan on going with the tank in the future?

Haha allright that comforting to know that i dont have to drop cash on those exspensive chemicals! I might do it anyway just because.....

Truthfully it's probably cheaper to add calcium an such separate in the long run. And unless you're getting water like I am which is pre-mixed and already has calcium I'd be careful mate! Do lots of testing to be sure! First time I tested my premixed water I got 9 drops, (x50) = 450mg of calcium!

no problem where do you plan on going with the tank in the future?

Not sure haha, just seeing how everything goes day by day. Love it so far, every night I just sit and watch it for a while. Really is relaxing. My job's stressful sometimes.

But someday when I own a house (about a year or two still - I'm young haha) I'd like to have a 20Gallon possible a shallows / long. Really dig the look of those (like yours!)

Hopefully my clowns last that long and eventually would be transferred into it :) Would keep the Spec V for sure though. Not sure what then.. but something!

TheDude324

Truthfully it's probably cheaper to add calcium an such separate in the long run. And unless you're getting water like I am which is pre-mixed and already has calcium I'd be careful mate! Do lots of testing to be sure! First time I tested my premixed water I got 9 drops, (x50) = 450mg of calcium!

Not sure haha, just seeing how everything goes day by day. Love it so far, every night I just sit and watch it for a while. Really is relaxing. My job's stressful sometimes.

But someday when I own a house (about a year or two still - I'm young haha) I'd like to have a 20Gallon possible a shallows / long. Really dig the look of those (like yours!)

Hopefully my clowns last that long and eventually would be transferred into it :) Would keep the Spec V for sure though. Not sure what then.. but something!

No of course for long term health of the corals that probably best just to be safe!

No of course for long term health of the corals that probably best just to be safe!

Well I got my little surprise tonight and I'm happy, but I'll show pics tomorrow evening.

Night ended kinda crappy with other stuff in life so didn't get around to uploading them..

Any type of anenome I could fit? There's these small bubble ones, they're not very long at all really short and the clowns at the LFS seems to LOVE rubbing up against them. They're too short for them to be "inside" of - but with my small clowns maybe they would love that?

Do-able? Placement in my tank ideas?

Any type of anenome I could fit? There's these small bubble ones, they're not very long at all really short and the clowns at the LFS seems to LOVE rubbing up against them. They're too short for them to be "inside" of - but with my small clowns maybe they would love that?

Do-able? Placement in my tank ideas?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I'd love to find out if it is possible since i am planning on getting a clown once cycled and would love to have a bubble tip in the tank for him. Btw hope that whatever made your night crappy last night works out. :) And I can't wait to see the "surprise" :lol:

ninjamyst

Rock anemones and maxi-mini anemones are great for nano cubes, but clowns dont host those. You probably saw a bubble tip anemone. Those will get really big, and they require an established tank. I have seen clowns host hairy mushrooms at my LFS.

Ninja is right. I researched every Anemone possible, and the only real choice is a Rock Flower. And Clowns will not host them. Clowns host Mag-Floats and wave pumps, though. Go figure!

NanoClown

I personally would not add an anemone to a tank that hasnt been established for a good period of time. Too many things can go out of hand and cause problems for an anemone. In time your clowns may come accustomed to hosting corals anyways

I personally would not add an anemone to a tank that hasnt been established for a good period of time. Too many things can go out of hand and cause problems for an anemone. In time your clowns may come accustomed to hosting corals anyways

I just hope they don't come comfortable with sitting in the hammer or anything. They generally stay away from it though, but I don't want them getting little black sting marks..

Cameron6796

Actually I'd hope they would start living in the hammer because then you wouldn't need to have a harder to keep anemone to have that same symbiotic relationship

Actually I'd hope they would start living in the hammer because then you wouldn't need to have a harder to keep anemone to have that same symbiotic relationship

Wouldn't the hammer sting them though? (And leave black sting marks on it I've seen.)

Cameron6796

No, the hammer has similar stinging cells that the clown is immune to due to a protective layer surrounding the body. If anything I'd say that a hammer is a mild sting that your hand can usually withstand same as less aggressive anemone like bubble tips , flower anemones or Condy whereas carpet anemones are more aggressive and will literally eat your fish and potentially sting you pretty bad, like a jellyfish can. Honestly clowns will host things that are nothing like anemones like ricordia mushrooms. Also I say since you lost (or quickly losing) that sps coral i don't think your tank is ready for any anemone.

Here's a clown in a frogspawnpost-79083-0-78646900-1399689137_thumb.jpg

And a clown in a hammer post-79083-0-38684700-1399689159_thumb.jpg

Cameron my friend, since you touched on the near-loss of my beloved Birdnest.. I believe it's perfect timing for my suspenseful daily update...

Day 43 & 44 (today):

As I watched / fed my clowns this evening I noticed something different. They seemed to be moving differently. Almost faster. My immediate reaction was that they must be stressed, or ill. So, I did my parameter testing. Results came back good, everything looked normal. No changes. (See bottom of this post for the results.)

As I was getting filling the test tubes - I noticed my larger Clownfish "shake." I immediately tossed in Google "Ocellaris clownfish shaking" and the results were clear. Many posts, even Youtube videos detailing this behavior as a male/ female dominance dancing ritual. It actually has a name, it's called a "waggle." (I watched several Youtube videos, I believe what my clown did tonight was very similar to what I saw in the videos.)
All I have to say is this ... if they mate and have eggs.. I'm gonna need to work a lot of overtime. (To fund a bigger new tank..)

10336824_10152414569130309_4993882041808

If you've been wondering the past few days "Spencer - where the hell is your Goby and your Shrimp?" (Yes, I'm Spencer. Nice to put a name to the face.)

They really like to dwell in their caves together. They have three spots they shift from day to day that they like to go to. Every few days they'll re-arrange one of them. I seriously think they just do it for the kick of seeing the look on my face when I find something like my Hammer coral upside down and used as a brace for their burrows... that didn't end so well. (for them...)

1506493_10152414568900309_45855822316453

During feeding time (I feed my Clowns a micro-pellet, and my Goby frozen mysis) they all come out for the fun.

My Goby now has a name - Michelangelo.

10152438_10152414569540309_8853405283745

Hold up - Now you're asking yourself "Woah! What's that red thing in the sand?.." (Perhaps you're scratching your head now confused...)

Behold..a red Ricordia Yuma, to sit next to my green/ purple Ricordia Florida. I was stoked to see this frag at the LFS. I had to get it and the guy at the LFS is super cool and knew how stoked I was - he got me hooked up on the piece I liked!

10308170_10152414569305309_6335994660792

Now you need a closeup:

10171915_10152414569790309_5745110627894

Also I say since you lost (or quickly losing) that sps coral i don't think your tank is ready for any anemone.

Today when I came home, my eyes lit up when I saw my Birdsnest had sprouted some vital signs. I'm now hopeful and going to give this my effort at revival. I presume as this grows, I will need to frag/ cut off the bottom dead part, and glue the nice newly formed alive piece to a new frag plug. If this continues successfully.. I'll be very happy.

1625696_10152414570005309_61557700191620

1491641_10152414570220309_10978570011703

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm (I'm pleased, this is steadily going down and I haven't even done a WC this week. Will be done this Sunday.)

Salinity: 1.026ppm

Temp. 78*F

Tomorrow I have more to show!! This video edit below has over 150 note splices (to the music.)

While this was rendering I was bored and ended up at the LFS again....... ;)

10294504_10152414683075309_3638962365269

Should be uploaded in the morning..

Dude I'm so excited... Your tank is ridiculous. I think you could get TOTM in June if you keep it up! I'd vote for you. I hope your Clowns host your Hammer! That'd be awesome. And I told you that Birdsnest would turn around brother. Fragging an SPS on your first ever frag... Who do you think you are?! P.S. my name is Evan ;)

Also, did you hint at another surprise besides the Red Ricordia Yuma?!

Can you/ everyone else watch this? I got a damn copyright on this song, which really pisses me off because I specifically try to chose songs that won't be blocked in certain countries based on copyright.

The song isn't the actual song, it's a royalty free cover done by a guy on a cello and piano. So I really hope you can view it ...

TheDude324

Dude it is looking sick!! I wouldnt worry about the clowns mating, at least with mine they bonded like that but if the conditions arent almost perfect they wont mate. Cant wait to see more!

Man, tank is looking sick! Seeing all these amazing specs makes me so much more impatient for mine to finish the cycle! haha looking good, love seeing your progress!

Archived