Cultivated Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

And watch out with feeding too much =P. Your tank is nice and new and clean, but it can turn into algae nightmare overnight when detritus and nutrient builds up. And snails sometimes take a couple of days to "wake up" after transport.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And watch out with feeding too much =P. Your tank is nice and new and clean, but it can turn into algae nightmare overnight when detritus and nutrient builds up. And snails sometimes take a couple of days to "wake up" after transport.

I've had this snail for 20 days haha!

I only feed once per day, as much as he can eat in 3 minutes! (It says 2 times daily everywhere I read! :( )

My friends...

Sitting at work and the day seems to be dragging on!

It's because I'm picking up my new Orange Spotted Goby tonight. I believe he'll be much smaller than my previous Goby. Hopefully I can get him bigger! I'll have lots of pics later this evening possibly.

My friends...

Sitting at work and the day seems to be dragging on!

It's because I'm picking up my new Orange Spotted Goby tonight. I believe he'll be much smaller than my previous Goby. Hopefully I can get him bigger! I'll have lots of pics later this evening possibly.

Looking forward to those pics! haha I've been reading through your thread, the tank looks awesome!

I'm at work too... Boooooo!

Only.One.More.Hour.

Might grab another snail.. One of them has been sleeping for like 2 days now. Hope he's alive.

I need some cleaning action though my glass is getting dirty!!

Day 34:

Well, I picked up a new Goby from the LFS this evening. He's much smaller, a lot more timid, and looks a little bit down/ sad.

He didn't look too happy when I brought him home but he's beginning to go to new places in the tank. I really hope he's okay and settles in with my Shrimp. They haven't gotten to each other yet. Hoping I wake up to them next to each other like my last guys were..

1504945_10152392178000309_83705154995067

10294523_10152392177585309_8581028251126

I've also gotten some bad brown algae growing rapidly on the glass! It's very focused on the glass around my Hammer.. which is also impossible to clean without hitting my hammer with the big magfloat cleaner. Hoping to find a more slim profile cleaner to get in there. The rock's in the back also block one spot, so this is going to be tricky to get resolved. I picked up 3 new snails today. I think 1 of mine is passing away now too so I'd only have 1 left. So right now I have 4 (or 5 if the other lives.) Hopefully this cleans my glass up a bit..

However - this one snail has some weird looking red/ pink algae growing on his shell.

Is this a problem? Does he need to be removed or is he okay in there? I tried gently scrubbing it off, but it's solid on his shell...

10169173_10152392177785309_7247127307604

Legendary Corals

Day 34:

Well, I picked up a new Goby from the LFS this evening. He's much smaller, a lot more timid, and looks a little bit down/ sad.

He didn't look too happy when I brought him home but he's beginning to go to new places in the tank. I really hope he's okay and settles in with my Shrimp. They haven't gotten to each other yet. Hoping I wake up to them next to each other like my last guys were..

1504945_10152392178000309_83705154995067

10294523_10152392177585309_8581028251126

I've also gotten some bad brown algae growing rapidly on the glass! It's very focused on the glass around my Hammer.. which is also impossible to clean without hitting my hammer with the big magfloat cleaner. Hoping to find a more slim profile cleaner to get in there. The rock's in the back also block one spot, so this is going to be tricky to get resolved. I picked up 3 new snails today. I think 1 of mine is passing away now too so I'd only have 1 left. So right now I have 4 (or 5 if the other lives.) Hopefully this cleans my glass up a bit..

However - this one snail has some weird looking red/ pink algae growing on his shell.

Is this a problem? Does he need to be removed or is he okay in there? I tried gently scrubbing it off, but it's solid on his shell...

10169173_10152392177785309_7247127307604

Looks like corraline algae, should be alright. :)

My Goby hasn't met up with the shrimp yet. Hoping when I get home they've gotten together!

My last Goby was with the shrimp overnight on the first night!

Day 35:

10172725_10152393932430309_5866671806195

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm (Looks a bit darker on camera - used my ipad for this one)

Temp: 78*F

Sg: 1.027

Currently 9 hours of light a day, I may lower this.

1660611_10152393915340309_30164633413453

Shot of my new Orange spotted Goby. He's still pretty timid and shy. Wasn't bolting around for food during feeding time but he ate a fair bit!

During feeding this evening my Shrimp actually came out and bumped in to the Goby. They both got startled and the Goby jetted off to his cave on the left - and the Shrimp jetted to his cave on the far right. Made me laugh...

10300247_10152393915465309_5055595746648

Then he began digging.. and digging...and digging. I hope he's trying to "invite" my Goby in with him!

Really hope they become closer soon..

13883269968_7f11ef11ab_c.jpgIMG_0365 by Shpixx, on Flickr

Here's a pretty awesome shot I took of my Acan. Last night it got a bit bothered by the bags while I acclimated my Goby.

I thought it was pretty unhappy.. until I got home and saw them open super big tonight!!! Getting some really awesome results.

14066663371_e1e279521d_c.jpgIMG_9988 by Shpixx, on Flickr

My LFS has black false tank bred clowns for $30 each on sale reg $55!!! :wub:

Thats a pretty good deal. Even though I try not to shop at Petco, they sometimes have snowflake clowns for $30-$40!

Something wonderful happened this morning...

My Goby & Shrimp have come together. They were sleeping happily in the burrow my Shrimp made on the far right of my tank.

Very happy morning!!

Today is day 36:

Not a whole lot of an update today. I got a NanoMag two little fish cleaner in the mail. I was very rapidly getting this brown stuff on my glass, especially where my hammer coral is. The problem was that my Mag Float is really big, 1" or so on the inside - and it didn't fit with my hammer coral! So I got the nano and it worked pretty darn good!! Scraped it off now it's better! My snails aren't on the glass as much as they used to - now they go more on the rocks everywhere and my powerhead.

Here's a cool video I shot of my new Goby eating, as well as my Acan devouring some mysis!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmPHePbxggghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmPHePbxggg

Thinking of picking up a new frag soon, something probably very similar to my acan, or just another acan :)

1. My snail decided to go on one of the heads of my hammer. The hammer retracted pretty fast... so I plucked the snail off.

2. My Goby decided to go full on deconstruction and re-arranged my entire sand-bed on the right side and practically buried my hammer.

So.. I really angered my shrimp when I moved all the sand back to the way it was before. His burrows were perfectly fine then!! Darn guy!

I hope he's not too mad/ upset/ stressed that I moved it back :(

Miguel Burguete

Congrats on you tank! I love it. I also have a 5 gallon one but mine is Custom made, it is also an AIO but I am using T5 for lighting.

My corals are just fine even the sps.

I am thinking about add some Gobies and maybe a shrimp but i´m concerned about pollution and algae. What is your maintenance routine? lots of water changes?

Miguel.

Congrats on you tank! I love it. I also have a 5 gallon one but mine is Custom made, it is also an AIO but I am using T5 for lighting.

My corals are just fine even the sps.

I am thinking about add some Gobies and maybe a shrimp but i´m concerned about pollution and algae. What is your maintenance routine? lots of water changes?

Miguel.

Hey!

Thanks for the compliments. Your thread is looking great so far! I've been looking at it before - love the length and how it's shallow. I actually wish I had that...

In terms of my maintence:

I was super obsessed with doing my water-tests nightly. I've began to cool off a bit on doing that, I'm beginning to realize it doesn't change as rapidly as I'd expect. I have fallen back now to doing my testing every few days.

My water changes are about 1.5 Gallon a week. I have 3 juice pitchers, I fill 2 with water and heat them up - and then remove 2 jugs full with the remaining. (Give or take, it usually ends up being 1.5 Gallon). Really really easy, takes about 30 minutes on a lazy Sunday morning.

However - this past weekend my Goby jumped the tank and passed away. I didn't end up doing my water change, so right now I'm almost 2 weeks without a change. My parameters are all still perfectly fine (except nitrites, about 5ppm - 10ppm)

New Goby is getting along more and more with my Shrimp though.

I do plan on getting this tank pretty big. I'd like to add some more small frags this weekend possibly. I'm also searching for the smallest bred tank clown's to add. Small is key, I'd like to have them for a while and eventually upgrade or start a second bigger (15G maybe) tank to transfer them to when the time comes.

Thanks again mate!

Miguel Burguete

Hey!

Thanks for the compliments. Your thread is looking great so far! I've been looking at it before - love the length and how it's shallow. I actually wish I had that...

In terms of my maintence:

I was super obsessed with doing my water-tests nightly. I've began to cool off a bit on doing that, I'm beginning to realize it doesn't change as rapidly as I'd expect. I have fallen back now to doing my testing every few days.

My water changes are about 1.5 Gallon a week. I have 3 juice pitchers, I fill 2 with water and heat them up - and then remove 2 jugs full with the remaining. (Give or take, it usually ends up being 1.5 Gallon). Really really easy, takes about 30 minutes on a lazy Sunday morning.

However - this past weekend my Goby jumped the tank and passed away. I didn't end up doing my water change, so right now I'm almost 2 weeks without a change. My parameters are all still perfectly fine (except nitrites, about 5ppm - 10ppm)

New Goby is getting along more and more with my Shrimp though.

I do plan on getting this tank pretty big. I'd like to add some more small frags this weekend possibly. I'm also searching for the smallest bred tank clown's to add. Small is key, I'd like to have them for a while and eventually upgrade or start a second bigger (15G maybe) tank to transfer them to when the time comes.

Thanks again mate!

Sorry about your Goby!

Thanks! It is similar than mine maintenance, I try to keep things really simple and easy. But since I added a few sps my Alk tends to drop and I may need to dose something..

Thank you!

Miguel

Ps. do you only feed frozen food?

Sorry about your Goby!

Thanks! It is similar than mine maintenance, I try to keep things really simple and easy. But since I added a few sps my Alk tends to drop and I may need to dose something..

Thank you!

Miguel

Ps. do you only feed frozen food?

I have to admit I am spending more money by buying pre-mixed water. Just so much easier for me with such a small tank. One jug lasts a month of water changes!

The water I'm using is a marine reef sea-water. It's got calcium and Kh already in it which is awesome. My last test I had my calcium was at 450, and kh was 9 drops I believe which is about 160ppm if I recall..

Simple is so much easier.

Right now yes, only frozen mysis. However, I thaw them out first so they aren't frozen when the fish eat them!!

I put them in at the powerhead and they blast everywhere and I presume my Goby thinks they're alive as he chases them around to eat them.

I also have dried shrimp, and I also have pellets. My pellet's suck though, they float so they don't get eaten at all haha..

37:

My Goby & Shrimp have either moved my Hammer coral - or the Hammer moved itself.

It's literally 2 inches away from where it used to be, and looks ALOT bigger!! I have no idea what happened.. but the Shrimp has literally made this part of his burrows.

I guess this is my payback for moving his sand back yesterday from when he moved it.

Damnet!!!

Does this look okay for the Coral to you guys???

10251923_10152397941570309_8502892525784

10258704_10152397941565309_6932579305164

Archived