Coral Vue Hydros

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Oh yes, Reef Wonderland is what I'm thinking.. they're expensive though that's the place for Acans!

Ocean Creation good but they had no little frags only massive massive colonies, like 50+ head Acans are $500 lol!

If you want to see really ridiculous prices you should come to Lethbridge ;) I find most LFS prices in Calgary pretty decent!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest mocking up a piece of cardboard the same size as your tank bottom and then going to town with the scape on that. Bonding, epoxing as you go.

I was lucky enough to buy all my dry rock at my favorite LFS, who helped me build my scape in the shop - Took a picture of it, then when I got home, had a play around and was able to somewhat replicate it.

Good luck with the scape, hopefully you get some water in the 20 by the end of the weekend!

So, my TDS meter arrived today, it was like $20 online and seems generic like all the ones I've seen in the store.

Did a few tests:

Straight tap water: 178ppm

Water from my fridge (filtered): 122ppm

"RO/DI from the LFS": 155ppm WTF!? :furious:

I've been buying these 5 gallon jugs of supposed "RO/DI" from my LFS for about $3 each fill-up and it comes back this way?

I'm going to go to the LFS and bring my little TDS meter and test their water in-front of their eyes and be like "fork back all my money" :lol:

Maybe that's why I never saw exponential extreme amazing growth in my tank...... <_<

So, my TDS meter arrived today, it was like $20 online and seems generic like all the ones I've seen in the store.

Did a few tests:

I've been buying these 5 gallon jugs of supposed "RO/DI" from my LFS for about $3 each fill-up and it comes back this way?

I'm going to go to the LFS and bring my little TDS meter and test their water in-front of their eyes and be like "fork back all my money" :lol:

Maybe that's why I never saw exponential extreme amazing growth in my tank...... <_<

Wow, that's crazy! They have probably never changed their membranes or don't have an inline TDS meter so have no idea. Really poor form on their behalf. I have a cheap TDS meter, probably not 100% accurate but close enough for me. Says my rainwater straight from the tank is about 15-25 TDS (depending on the temperature) which I am happy to live with.

Wow, that's crazy! They have probably never changed their membranes or don't have an inline TDS meter so have no idea. Really poor form on their behalf. I have a cheap TDS meter, probably not 100% accurate but close enough for me. Says my rainwater straight from the tank is about 15-25 TDS (depending on the temperature) which I am happy to live with.

I hope when I got my RODI unit setup and begin filtering water I get a low reading, is 15-25 TDS a pretty safe reading?

I mean, LOL .. I'll be happy with anything better than what I've obviously been using for past 2 years wow...

I hope when I got my RODI unit setup and begin filtering water I get a low reading, is 15-25 TDS a pretty safe reading?

I mean, LOL .. I'll be happy with anything better than what I've obviously been using for past 2 years wow...

Well, ideally you want it running 0 but seeing as I have no mains water at home (only rain water and bore water) I'm not allowed to run an RODI unit as there is too much wasted water associated with it. So 15-25 TDS is fine by me lol. If it was 50-60 I'd be concerned but seeing as I run GFO I don't really mind if I get a low range TDS reading from the rain water. I've never had any excess algae growth that wasn't caused by overfeeding.

Some pics for you guys :)

Tank in the back of my '16 Subaru WRX, didn't fit in the trunk as I have a single box subwoofer in there haha...

24689060885_28b8c9da78_c.jpg

Untitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Getting this paper sticker backing off is a pain in the ass...

24662853426_d9ce99bd2e_c.jpg

Untitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Moved the Spec V. What a frightening experience.. I could have possibly taken some water out, but I did it and left the tank completely full.. :wacko: Carefully slid this piece of wood beneath the tank to add leverage for picking it up (much easier to place the wood down on the next stand versus pinching fingers and then dropping it while trying to place the actual tank down.) Worked well, lifted the tank very carefully and VERY slowly, transitioned the entire thing over to this metal shelving unit which has wheels - and then was able to roll it out into another room for it's temporary location before retiring.

24060894354_b0139edc5b_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Love when Amazon boxes show up... B)

24689064645_355066940f_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

A new heater for the Fusion 20 and a TDS meter for my newly acquired RO unit...

24321389189_84954ab376_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Broke the rocks up into smaller pieces to be able to build a nice rock scape. I think this is a big "lesson learned", as my last tank I just bought 3 huge rocks and glued 'em together crossing my fingers... yeah, it was okay - but could have been soooo much nicer if I planned it out more carefully and designed my own scape..

24393553130_5e34f0752e_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Cleaned up the area from where the Spec V was (dust, salt, etc...) and placed this rubber liner down. Hopefully this will be a good idea, perhaps reduce vibrations / sound and it also just looks pretty clean.. I might cut the edges more to line up with the tank but we'll see..

24321387659_7343b7febd_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Here's the Fusion 20, all ready to get scaped and then wet !!!!!!! ;)

24393552150_95839a0572_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Did a few tests:

What?? That's unacceptable!

Wow, I got nervous with you when I read about you moving your old tank! I am glad it went well. Looks like you have a fun time ahead of you with setting up the new fusion with scaping and such. Good luck!

Wow, I got nervous with you when I read about you moving your old tank! I am glad it went well. Looks like you have a fun time ahead of you with setting up the new fusion with scaping and such. Good luck!

Let's just say I was sweating like I had just finished a 2 hour gym session LOL. It wasn't a big move though, just transitioned it over to another table that was able to roll out of the room it was in to it's new temporary spot. I waited until lights were out and corals were fairly closed up, didn't even spill a drop!! Everything was fine!

I'm still getting sweaty palms reading over this comment and thinking about the move last night :lol: Damn.. I'm still scared / worried.. hope everything is good with my tank. Eventually I'll move everything out and just drain the water then probably sell the tank locally w/ media basket.

Let's just say I was sweating like I had just finished a 2 hour gym session LOL. It wasn't a big move though, just transitioned it over to another table that was able to roll out of the room it was in to it's new temporary spot. I waited until lights were out and corals were fairly closed up, didn't even spill a drop!! Everything was fine!

I'm still getting sweaty palms reading over this comment and thinking about the move last night :lol: Damn.. I'm still scared / worried.. hope everything is good with my tank. Eventually I'll move everything out and just drain the water then probably sell the tank locally w/ media basket.

Ha ha, you did the hard part and nothin' ahead but fun stuff.

Did a few tests:

My new (second hand) RODI is up and running!! Took a test sample, came in at 33ppm!!! That's FAR better than the 155ppm I've literally been using (no joke) for the past two years on this tank. I'm embarrassed to admit I never even knew about TDS or understood RODI units before, but damn!!

So there's two valves on the RODI - 1 on the "output" line (clean water) and 1 on the waste line. I opened the output, nothing came out. I opened the waste, and then water began flowing through both lines. I noticed however if I FULLY OPEN the WASTE line, then NO water comes through on the OUTPUT LINE?!!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Just read all your posts and watched all your tank vids on youtube, very interesting all your ups and downs but looks like everything is good now and a new tank to start this year.

You must be pro now after the first 5g battles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ur new tank looks like a very good upgrade option.

Just wondering what was the maximum amount of fish you had in your 5g spec? was it able to cope? i currently have 5 in 12g and thinking of adding another fish that stays at the bottom.

I have 2 clowns that swim around, a yellow clown goby that sits in one place and jumps around and a 6line wrasse that swims around rock caves. my current 5 fish is something i caught at the local rock pools but i will put him back if i get a watchman goby.

thanks, just wondering. i know alot of people will say i have too many fish, but they all swim in differnet parts of the tank.

Archived