Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Mass reply!! Thanks everyone for your help so far on everything..

Dang dude, love how your tank is coming along! Your photo/video skills are great! And those clowns are awesome, can't wait to find out what the next surprise is :happy:

Glad to see yours coming along nicely too!

It is coming along nicely.

Are you still liking the light? Would you recommend it or purchase it again?

Loving the light really! For the price I paid, I'm very pleased with it. I ordered from Fragbox.ca - March there is awesome and really helped me out with this! I'd definitely recommend it. Might be a BIT too much for my small tank, but gives room to grow/ upgrade down the road.

Great pics but I will be concerned with 2 clowns + 1 goby in a 5 gallon tank. I wouldn't even put 1 clown in a 5 gallon. They grow FAST.

Hey Ninja, yeah.. I realize this could potentially be slightly over-stocked. However, seeing a few other Spec V's with much more than me I'm feeling confident that I'll be able to make this work. Just gonna require a lot of dedication which I'm really willing to put in at this point.

I do plan on upgrading down the road, and having a second (bigger) tank to transfer these guys too.

The photos do make them appear lager, they're less than 1" right now!

The clowns look really cool! I picked up a pair of small clowns about a month ago for my tank, they are about the same size and inch or under and they wouldn't eat pellets at first either they'd spit them out like yours so I got some flakes that way they can get smaller pieces and they eat that just fine maybe try that. I use ocean nutrition formula two flakes.

I solved my feeding issue today! Thanks for the suggestion man! I ended up with some "Micro" pellets. They're more like a powder, much smaller than the pellets I tried to feed yesterday. I thought my Goby was a good eater - my Clown's went BERSERK!! I honestly had to act quick to get the lid back on the tank in fear that they might hop out!! Vids coming soon!

Curious to see how the clowns and goby go. I'd love to add the goby but I'm nervous it woild be too much in mine. My rock is a bit bigger than yours though

I had 3 rocks before - and removed one because I felt it was too much. Goby and Shrimp really hide in their cave majority of the time. My Goby doesn't usually leave the sand. (Which is why I was so sad/ surprised to see my last jump out two weeks ago.)

Looks awesome man, that recordia has three mouths from what I see, so expect some growth!

Hope the parameters stay within a safe range, pretty heavy bio load now.

I was so happy to see that Ricordia frag at the LFS, and I snagged it up for only $18!! It gets bigger/ smaller though at random, still figuring out placement. It's now on the far left, not in direct flow.

Wow those are some awesome clowns B)

Ive always wanted the Black and White Ocellaris. They look very healthy, I hope you get them to eat!

I picked these guys up from a LFS and they were in I'd guess a 100 gallon tank with about 6 other clowns like them! They swam all over, and came to my hand when I put it up at the glass. So far today they've been awesome!

Thanks again everyone. Gonna do a large parameter test shortly tonight and have some more pics!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the light really! For the price I paid, I'm very pleased with it. I ordered from Fragbox.ca - March there is awesome and really helped me out with this! I'd definitely recommend it. Might be a BIT too much for my small tank, but gives room to grow/ upgrade down the road.

Thanks! Better to have a little extra then not enough IMO!

Day 39: Evening (30% water change day)

FTS! Curious Goby at the bottom!!

13923163027_a17c34dc78_c.jpgIMG_0487 by Shpixx, on Flickr

14086705266_d2e0a6c20d_c.jpgIMG_0468 by Shpixx, on Flickr

10341473_10152404453990309_5025720656613

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

-

Kh/ Alk: 150ppm

Calcium: 400mg

-

Sg: 1.026ppm

Temp: 78*F

You're probably thinking: "Hey! What is that new frag in the middle of the rocks?"

*Drumrolls*

Kijho's first SPS - a lime green polyp covered Birdsnest!

10253821_10152404338375309_3329000565126

However - It isn't looking to hot right now. I think it had a rough ride home from the LFS today. I also feel like I may have potentially added too much coral-dip, or perhaps left it in the dip for too long. Is it possible to over-dip your frags and kill them? Really hoping this isn't the case. The lime-green polyps haven't come out since I placed it in the tank. However, at the LFS they were very vibrant and extended.

I spy a birds nest? :wub: Those are so beautiful. Tank is looking awesome. Also what brand test kit do you use for alk and calc?

ninjamyst

Hey Ninja, yeah.. I realize this could potentially be slightly over-stocked. However, seeing a few other Spec V's with much more than me I'm feeling confident that I'll be able to make this work. Just gonna require a lot of dedication which I'm really willing to put in at this point.

I do plan on upgrading down the road, and having a second (bigger) tank to transfer these guys too.

The photos do make them appear lager, they're less than 1" right now!

I got my clown for my 12 gallon at 1" too. 4 months later and he's big and fat. I also want a clown for my Spec V so I hope yours do well so I get one too =P.

I spy a birds nest? :wub: Those are so beautiful. Tank is looking awesome. Also what brand test kit do you use for alk and calc?

Thanks mate!!

I'm using API for Kh, and Elos for Calcium (Calcium is a bit tricky, it's a 4 step process with a powder additive).

Thanks mate!!

I'm using API for Kh, and Elos for Calcium (Calcium is a bit tricky, it's a 4 step process with a powder additive).

I gotcha thanks. Is the calcium necessary if I do not have corals yet? I'm still learning about the chemistry that goes into these tanks lol

I gotcha thanks. Is the calcium necessary if I do not have corals yet? I'm still learning about the chemistry that goes into these tanks lol

Don't think it's too big a deal yet without corals!

That's what I was told at least.. However, I think calcium helps everything in general grow (like how we drink milk I presume?)

love the clowns, everything is looking great :) I can't wait to get a pair for mine, I just got my first two fish a couple of days ago 2 blue/green chromis.

Day 40:

10178016_10152406493110309_6800894213541

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Sg: 1.026

Temp. 77.5*F

10294382_10152406492935309_6149621673171

As you can see in the above photo - my green birdsnest didn't open at all today. I'm pretty bummed out about this, I presume it's dead.

You can kind of see some green starting at the tips, but in the LFS it was full of polyps. I think I may have killed it during the drive home, OR I either added too much dip chemical or left it in the dip for too long. (Maybe 20 mins?) You can see the bottom of the one stem has turned white. It's in a moderate flow, high lighting area.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I have Alk at 160ppm (9 drops) and Calcium at 400mg.

Is my Par38 LED not the correct type of light for this coral?

ninjamyst

I doubt it was the ride home. People ship SPS overnight just fine. What did you dip it in? 20 mins dip is kind of harsh. The frag also looks freshly cut so it was probably stressed to begin with. There's still alot of tissue left so it's not dead. It may still turn around.

I would stay away from SPS in the beginning. Your bioload is high so it will be tough to keep the tank clean and stable enough in the beginning for SPS.

I doubt it was the ride home. People ship SPS overnight just fine. What did you dip it in? 20 mins dip is kind of harsh. The frag also looks freshly cut so it was probably stressed to begin with. There's still alot of tissue left so it's not dead. It may still turn around.

I would stay away from SPS in the beginning. Your bioload is high so it will be tough to keep the tank clean and stable enough in the beginning for SPS.

Seachem Coral Dip is what I used. Couldn't find "Coral-RX" anywhere sadly.

Went to 3 LFS's.

I dipped for about 20 mins, it was so green when I brought it out of the LFS.

They bagged it up though and now I'm reading online that it's a good idea to bring your own tupperware container with some cut egg-crate inside of it to put the plug in, and have them put their water in, and very easy. But... I dunno how you would temp. acclimate it then once it's in there ..

Your Birdsnest will be fine brotha! Just keep up your parameters and everything will work out, man. I think your placement is good, though I don't know the amount flow in that area, and the lighting is hard to tell from the pics. Research if you need to. But it can turn around.

Do you use IO Reef Crystals for Salt? You don't even need to dose if you change the water weekly.

Your tank looks great! As we say in Jersey, I'm mad jealous dude :happy:

Everyone needs cool signatures like you! I'm sure more people would look at my threads if I had one...

Here's some 720p goodness to keep you interested! ;)

I may have put a bit too much food in there. Ended up having to go through with my turkey baster to suck some of the excess out.

Still a few pellets in the sand, however my Pistol Shrimp & Spotted Goby enjoy this food just as much as they do mysis. So some variety will be good, they should scavenge that up overnight/ tomorrow!

ninjamyst

woah...that video is crazy! I take back all I said about overloading with 2 clowns. I am gonna run to my LFS tomorrow and get 2 clowns too! SO AWESOME. And your rockscape is a work of art. Can't wait for it to fill up with flowing corals.

woah...that video is crazy! I take back all I said about overloading with 2 clowns. I am gonna run to my LFS tomorrow and get 2 clowns too! SO AWESOME. And your rockscape is a work of art. Can't wait for it to fill up with flowing corals.

Thanks so much Ninja means a lot coming from you with such a beautiful scape yourself!

I love spending an hour or so editing and rending a video, and then watching it myself for the first time - put a big grin on my face.

I look over right now and my two babies are getting to sleep...

ninjamyst

Thanks so much Ninja means a lot coming from you with such a beautiful scape yourself!

I love spending an hour or so editing and rending a video, and then watching it myself for the first time - put a big grin on my face.

I tried taking a video before with my DSLR in HD. My laptop sucks and it takes forever to do any video editing. Your video is really really cool, and those little clowns make your tank look huge.

Ok, i just watched it again for the 3rd time. Haha.

Nice! :wub:

Ain't dead until it is dead...baby it, maybe turn lights down a bit, and let it get used to the tank. If it sheds and turns WHITE, THEN its dead.

Don't lose hope just yet.

Stunning. :happy: If you don't mind me asking what editing software do you use? Trying to find a good software for my GoPro footage. Also if it won't disturb them and you don't mind, any chance you could post a pic of them sleeping? I've always wondered how they slept... lol

ninjamyst

Stunning. :happy: If you don't mind me asking what editing software do you use? Trying to find a good software for my GoPro footage. Also if it won't disturb them and you don't mind, any chance you could post a pic of them sleeping? I've always wondered how they slept... lol

Actually, I am interested too. My clown in my 12 gallon does NOT sleep. I see him swimming throughout the night. The first week I got him, I literally woke up in the middle of the night, sneak up to the tank, and he's still doing laps across the tank.

Thank you! ~ I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 12, and a Canon 70D w/ 50mm 1.8. Shot in 1080p but rendered down to 720p.

Here's them getting to sleep, I don't think fully asleep yet.

I've done some research and based on what I've read and my understanding - Clownfish (and other types of fish) can sleep suspended in the water. The same way humans automatically continue to breath once we fall asleep - fish can continue to "swim" while asleep. They are (from my understanding) essentially "weightlessly" suspended in the water.

I was really scared the first night (last night) because I checked on them when I got up in the night and saw them swimming kind of sideways near the top...

1422604_10152406887305309_67896570331724

Also, when I just took that photo .. I noticed my Ricordia looks like this ??

10351176_10152406887300309_7312635957732

It wasn't like that before.. I think the light might have made it close up so quickly like that. It's already started to open back up again in the time it took to write this post.

Time to me to hit the hay too - Night everyone !

Thanks for posting the pic dude, for some reason I was expecting them to be like laying the sand or something when they sleep haha. Anyway your tank is so amazing, can't wait to start adding some life to mine.

Do you shut your lights completely off in your tank at night, no lunar lights or anything, just black?

Archived