Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Cameron6796

I want to start off with .

Are you using reef salt or just marine salt

If yes what brand

If no is switch it can help you avoid dosing since reef salts usually have calcium and alk boosts which corals need to build their skeletons (lps,sps)

Do you have calcium and alk test kits if no I'd get some

If you can check calcium and alk lvls and they are stable maybe try a frogspawn or some zoas

Can't wait to see the tank.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28 ~ Let there be light!!

I'm going to get a suntan from this thing...

Let's start off with the usual..

10308217_10152378181390309_8555021612651

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10-15ppm

Temp. 77.5*F

Salt: 1.026

This little (big) beast arrived in the mail today.. courtesy of Fragbox. Kudos to them, my order was a bit late due to some issues out of their control (border holdup.) They managed to have this to me across Canada in a day. Very pleased with their service, I might do a full write up on this sometime...

10153856_10152378180965309_7040350857234

A little teaser.. I'm going to get a suntan from this thing...

10155359_10152378183690309_1634366849925

Oh, the suspense..

10256117_10152378182425309_1979245437143

Day # 28 ~ A full tank shot (April 22, 2014)

13996614143_5b3c929b1e_c.jpg

IMG_0239 by Shpixx, on Flickr

For comparison, here's a before:

10006107_10152378181075309_5292427357687

Woah that light looks awesome over your tank!

cant wait to see what kind of corals you decide to start off with B)

Looks great, any plan to get those nitrate numbers down?

I think I need to change up my filtering to the pureigen & chemipure. I don't have anything in right now except the stuff that came with my Fluval...

I've been doing 20 - 30% water changes weekly and it's still up there everyday! There's no left-over food, no snail poo.. so I'm not really sure! Any suggestions?

Chemi-Pure is amazing. Make sure you get Chemi-Pure Elite. If you can't find the 3.1oz mini containers, you can get away with the 6-point-whatever-ounce one. It's the next size up. And Purigen is the best. It absorbs everything nasty that your mechanical filtering doesn't remove. And you only need to replace both every three months.

EDIT: Chemi-Pure is Chemical Filter Media (hence the name, haha).

Their product description... they don't lie.

"Your fish will live a healthier life - up to 4 times longer. Works equally well in marine or freshwater aquariums to remove heavy metals, copper, phenol, ammonia, and other nitrogenous waste. Helps keep pH at a consistently safe range and your water sparkling clear. Fantastic for use with African Cichlids and Discus. Chemi-Pure Elite adds ferric oxide to the original Chemi-Pure formula to also remove phosphates and silicates, making it the only complete choice for filtering any kind of aquarium."

yeah I wouldn't be using the media that came with the tank anyways, it's probably nowhere near the same quality as the stuff you plan on getting (i mean this tank is sold as a freshwater setup)

I usually try push my chemipure elite and purigen out to 4 months but thats just cus im cheap :lol:

yeah I wouldn't be using the media that came with the tank anyways, it's probably nowhere near the same quality as the stuff you plan on getting (i mean this tank is sold as a freshwater setup)

I usually try push my chemipure elite and purigen out to 4 months but thats just cus im cheap :lol:

Chemi-Pure is amazing. Make sure you get Chemi-Pure Elite. If you can't find the 3.1oz mini containers, you can get away with the 6-point-whatever-ounce one. It's the next size up. And Purigen is the best. It absorbs everything nasty that your mechanical filtering doesn't remove. And you only need to replace both every three months.

EDIT: Chemi-Pure is Chemical Filter Media (hence the name, haha).

Their product description... they don't lie.

"Your fish will live a healthier life - up to 4 times longer. Works equally well in marine or freshwater aquariums to remove heavy metals, copper, phenol, ammonia, and other nitrogenous waste. Helps keep pH at a consistently safe range and your water sparkling clear. Fantastic for use with African Cichlids and Discus. Chemi-Pure Elite adds ferric oxide to the original Chemi-Pure formula to also remove phosphates and silicates, making it the only complete choice for filtering any kind of aquarium."

Does Chemi/ Puri come in the bags already? I need to find it in bags but my LFS seemed to only have it ... as a powder that you need to add to your own cloth baggy ?

NorthGaHillbilly

I use cemipure elite, it comes in a bag, but I split it up into two portions and use 95 cent black pantihose to split it into two doses

Thanks everyone! Might pickup some Purigen and such tomorrow, maybe look for a nice Acan coral!

Rainbow acans are awesome. Green acans are common and relatively cheap. Yellow ones are rare. When my two tanks kinda crashed, all my acans survived except for one frag. They are pretty hardy.

Just applied at my lfs praying I get the job

Which place over in Ont?

That will be a fun job! I'm stuck in an office cube all day haha!

I'm leaving in 30 mins though... picking up my corals!!!!

What should / how should I dip them?? Is that to prevent any hitchiking diseases??

Cameron6796

Yes it's to prevent things like flat worms if y have an old toothbrush I'd gently scrub any rocks or frag plugs for eggs

The place I applied is called aquariums by design its a great store and I'm a five min walk. Ps forgot your in canada

Well..... I went to the LFS to pick up a $15 Acan frag......

Ended up leaving with:

- a baby hammer coral frag in wonderful shape/ color

- Elos calcium test kit

- Elos Kh test kit

- chemi-pure elite

- coral dip

... but no Acan. Where's the Acan? I left the Acan. My wallet hurts...

Currently have the hammer acclimating and in a reef dip...

Also - my shrimp had a hell of a day. My entire tank has been rearranged by him again haha. He made a whole new cave out of sand.

He kind of reversed my Goby's cave also. He pushed all the sand now to the opposite side and now I can see in to my Goby entirely.

Pics to come soon!!

Awesome light is awesome.

Don't know if I made the recommendation already, but InTank media basket + floss + CPR + Purigen works WONDERS for me.

Awesome light is awesome.

Don't know if I made the recommendation already, but InTank media basket + floss + CPR + Purigen works WONDERS for me.

I gotta order a basket soon! I just picked up some CPR though and will get Purigen soon, having a tough time finding it pre-bagged in the nylon here though.

Guys, quick question (as I just spend $20 on this..)

Is THIS:

17101059a.jpg

The same as THIS:

elos-kh-alkalinity-test-kit.jpg

I understand the Elos is supposedly a superior and more accurate test. However I now own both.. and if it's the same, I'll most likely be returning the Elos as I've already been using the API kit to test for Kh...

I gotta order a basket soon! I just picked up some CPR though and will get Purigen soon, having a tough time finding it pre-bagged in the nylon here though.

Order the basket, the CPE, and the Purigen directly from InTank. I change my stuff out every 4 months.

Also, you can order bulk carbon, GFO, and Purigen from Intank along with nylon bags and make your own filtration bags. This is what I am going to do on my new IM 16.

Order the basket, the CPE, and the Purigen directly from InTank. I change my stuff out every 4 months.

Also, you can order bulk carbon, GFO, and Purigen from Intank along with nylon bags and make your own filtration bags. This is what I am going to do on my new IM 16.

Thanks mate~

Any idea on that Kh Kit!?

Also..... bump so I can push this to the next page for my Day 29 big update!!! :D

Archived