Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Yep that sounds great problem is this fish loves mysis and other shrimps

I doubt itll choose to starve, but it could happen I suppose. I'd just be careful, as the excess food has obviously already created a problem.

Gonna begin spot feeding tomorrow, may do a slight water change possibly. Right now I've got a big mutant aiptasia growing... It ate a mysis shrimp . I can actually see the mysis in the body of the aiptasia!!!!! :(

Take boiling water in a syringe and squirt it on it then glue of it with epoxy or krazy glue gel

Think tonight I'm gonna use a turkey baster to get out all of the extra food laying around the bottom.

I might empty all of the cubes of the mysis shrimp into some sort of container, and then use a baster to spot feed him in his little corner where he likes to live.

I'll post a pic of this one aiptasia I have a problem with. I'm just a bit fearful of using the Aiptasia-X now that I have livestock in my tank.. it says it's safe though? Any thoughts ?

Maybe I'll do a 15% water change tonight too, and possibly pick up some Purigen media tonight to put in the filter. I've read good things on it.

Also have a bit of a problem with some green hair algae, I don't want it getting out of hand. What is your thoughts on the shrimp? He's a herbivore, would he eat the GHA / Aiptasia then? 2 birds 1 stone! Or would he be a hazard for my Goby and want to steal his little territory that he's claimed...

So many questions in life haha

Cameron6796

Remember if you can feed slow only a few shrimps at a time maybe turn pumps off if you can and stop when he stops eating, look into maybe a pellet or something for him also it will be More nutrient dense and will satisfy him quicker while allowing less food needed in the system. Be extremely careful though since they are more nutrient dense meaning they will foul water quicker so feed maybe 2-3 SINKING pellets near him then a little mysis and he should be good.

About the algae having little to no phosphates helps and clean water, whats your light cycle you could try a black out period where you keep lights off for 3 days since you have no coral.

The shrimp may pick at it yes, they are not guaranteed to eat aphasia though I say he should be fine as long as he is big enough to not be eaten by the goby. If he doesn't eat the aptaisia at least you have so ething to keep the tank cleaner.

Remember if you can feed slow and stop when he stops eating, look into maybe a pellet or something for him also.

About the algae having little to no phosphates helps and clean water, whats your light cycle you could try a black out period where you keep lights off for 3 days since you have no coral.

The shrimp may pick at it yes, they are not guaranteed to eat aphasia though I say he should be fine as long as he is big enough to not be eaten by the goby.

Thanks mate! I'd love a shrimp to pair and become buddies with my Goby! The Goby's claimed his territory though, my fear would be the peppermint shrimp stealing it from him.. I think the Shrimp is about 1 & 1/2" at the LFS. Somewhat cool looking..

Gonna give it some attention tonight and see how it goes. I think I need to pickup some cheap containers haha.

Day 16

So I came home this afternoon and my Goby had eaten ALL of the left-over shrimp that was left at the bottom of the tank from yesterdays feeding.

It also appears he's eating snail poop... I dunno, maybe it's not him.. but there's definitely less snail poop from when I woke up this morning..

He was literally "hopping" around the bottom of the tank waiting for food this afternoon... I got a video of it I'll post later perhaps.

The snail poop is GONE!!???? He was jumping up and down here waiting for food!!

1962016_10152345884905309_16701133024543

So I tossed HALF of the cube in... (I defrosted it and then used a little needle to drop it down in the water and then it let go and fell down the middle.) He went CRAZY and had like 5 or 6 of the shrimps, and left about 3 shrimps on the sand...

Now he's back in his little home under the rock!!!

Checked the parameters... It looks like my ammonia dipped down a bit, but Nitrite went up, and Nitrate up too ?? I'm unsure on these levels too but the level changes seem minor..

892965_10152345880730309_211576107147695

Here's a picture of that aiptasia I was talking about last night.. after feeding.

It literally ate an entire shrimp. As you can see, it's in an impossible to reach area. I really don't want to remove the rock and have my Goby freaked out without his home...

1978402_10152344411500309_89563197341939

Day 16

So I tossed HALF of the cube in... (I defrosted it and then used a little needle to drop it down in the water and then it let go and fell down the middle.) He went CRAZY and had like 5 or 6 of the shrimps, and left about 3 shrimps on the sand...

Now he's back in his little home under the rock!!!

Checked the parameters... It looks like my ammonia dipped down a bit, but Nitrite went up, and Nitrate up too ?? I'm unsure on these levels too but the level changes seem minor..

A half cube in this size tank is a lot of food. I wouldn't feed more than 2 times per week in this size tank and definitely not even close to a half cube. I won't feed even a whole cube in my 90 and it's 20 times the volume.

The problem with these, and any pico, tanks is there's no natural nitrate removal mechanism so water changes are the only way to get NO3 down. Feeding daily in this tank is easily going to get the NO3 into the 100ppm range if you're using frozen.

The orange spot needs to be fed daily
This was my understanding, I'm gonna begin spot feeding him once a day now just using a tube or something..

I'd honestly just remove it and glue over it or dumb scolding water on it
I can't reach it at all without removing the rock.. But to remove the rock I'd mess everything up including the spot the goby has dug himself out under the rock. He really loves it under there..

Goby was sleeping when I got up! It's funny seeing fish "sleep", I never really thought about that kind of thing before getting my aquarium!

I'm going to go look for some Purigen today possibly, and some extra hosing to reach the bottom of the tank to suck up any grime/ dirt laying down there. Also some containers, I'm going to empty ALL the cubes of mysis shrimp into one container and then just feed very small amounts at a time, once a day. He seems very happy with that though.

Any suggestions on getting that Aiptasia out? Remove the rock?

I've been feeling like my rock-scape is a bit too big lately.. :( It takes up alot of space especially when I look at other Fluval Spec V owners .. I hope I have room for some corals eventually..

The easiest thing to do is take that particular rock out of the tank and super glue or expoxy in the crevice that the aptasia is in. At the same time it should give you some room to work around with your rock-scape :)

dont worry too much about your goby, Im sure he will make a new burrow after youre all done with everything

Tank looks great.

I never saw a cycle with my tank using precured live rock... after a couple of weeks of waiting to see some ammonia I threw a frozen piece of krill in and after another week or so the levels didn't move, I figured I was good to go. Looks like you're at the good to go point since your goby is happy. :)

I tried to add a yellow diamond goby and I think my sunrise dottyback stressed him to death :(

The orange spot needs to be fed daily

Wow did't realize that. Figured they were more like a watchman or less demanding few times a week fish.

Cameron6796

^^ yep simple honest mistake we all make them ... I've made lots of those... Lol but I'm sure your better at this then me.

On live aquaria it says twice a day but that would kill this tank I'd think.

Anyways I say remove the rock extremely gently then urn the sucker with a lighter or hot water or even your salt mix put on top for a few mins. They are tough so make sure once dead it's removed.

Ooooh also if you have crazy glue gel ( the brand name stuff should be safe cover it's area as precaution then get the shrimp to keep them in check.

Wow did't realize that. Figured they were more like a watchman or less demanding few times a week fish.

^^ yep simple honest mistake we all make them ... I've made lots of those... Lol but I'm sure your better at this then me.

On live aquaria it says twice a day but that would kill this tank I'd think.

Anyways I say remove the rock extremely gently then urn the sucker with a lighter or hot water or even your salt mix put on top for a few mins. They are tough so make sure once dead it's removed.

Ooooh also if you have crazy glue gel ( the brand name stuff should be safe cover it's area as precaution then get the shrimp to keep them in check.

Tank looks great.

I never saw a cycle with my tank using precured live rock... after a couple of weeks of waiting to see some ammonia I threw a frozen piece of krill in and after another week or so the levels didn't move, I figured I was good to go. Looks like you're at the good to go point since your goby is happy. :)

I tried to add a yellow diamond goby and I think my sunrise dottyback stressed him to death :(

Thanks for the input guys,

Day 17

1908265_10152347857905309_39959654009939

So .. I'm 100% certain now that my Goby eats snail poo. When I woke, there was snail poo at the bottom in the sand. There was also 5 - 6 shrimp left over laying at the bottom of the sand.

Came home and there's a hole dug out in the sand LOL and all the snail poo is pretty much gone, and all those leftover shrimps are gone too. He must get hungry mid-day....

So I fed him per my usual evening routine around 5pm... he went wild!!!! Most he's ever eaten!! I got a really good video now this time, it's uploading now I'll edit this post in a bit to show you!

The aiptasia still there, gonna tackle that soon by taking the water out and epoxying it and some of the other little spots.

Right now he's sitting in the middle under the arch looking at me haha ..

Waters looking good Good to see an appetite in the goby they are so fun

Orange spotted Goby eating Mysis Shrimp ~ Day 17

NorthGaHillbilly

I've been thinking on the situation some, and I read up on the goby as well. I think you might have good results by taking a high quality pellet food and soaking it in the same water you thaw the mysis in. You can then have the two associated together, and maybe slowly move over to a pellet food. If he can get it down in a bite or two, as opposed to the 20 or 30 it would take eating myisis, you could better maintain your levels.

Video is awesome, what camera are you using? I would make sure to turn off the flow while you feed, that'll give him a chance to get every one.

I've delt with many a aptisia since getting into reefing. Kalk applied directly to them does a decent job. A peppermint shrimp could also be a cool way to get rid of it, since you dont have any coral currently that it MIGHT pick at. No matter what you do, deal with the aptisia ASAP as they can become a MAJOR problem if not delt with as soon as you recognize em.

Your scape looks good to me, unless your looking to have LPS or something down on the sand bed, youve got plenty of room on the rock to put a ton of corals.

Keep it up!

NGaHB

NGaHB

Thanks alot for your post, I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm going to take a trip to the LFS perhaps tomorrow. Is there a specific type of pellet that I should focus on for my Goby? A pellet seems so much easier than the frozen mysis...

I didn't end up getting that aiptasia out tonight, but I have my sights on it this week forsure. I think I'll pick up some epoxy tomorrow from the LFS and make sure it can't grow back in any of those very awkward spots.

The camera is a Canon 70D with a 50mm 1.8 for this video, some of my other shots are with a 70-200 2.8!

Thanks again!

Goby is tucking in for the night!

Archived