Cultivated Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

NorthGaHillbilly

Your unknown flower is a manjo anemone, not as fast growing as aptisia or as hardy, but still a pest. I just nuked a few with kalk applied with all flow turned off.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your unknown flower is a manjo anemone, not as fast growing as aptisia or as hardy, but still a pest. I just nuked a few with kalk applied with all flow turned off.

Damnet! More crap that needs to die! So many pests! :(

Here's the parameters from Day 20 after a 30% water change:

1901303_10152354592820309_44977125914401

Cameron6796

Nitrites come down that's great things are looking good. What do you have for a CUC? Frogspawms and hammers need medium light what light are you getting?

Nitrites come down that's great things are looking good. What do you have for a CUC? Frogspawms and hammers need medium light what light are you getting?

All I have for a CUC is 3 Trochus snails right now and they're literally non-stop workers. I've been nothing but pleased with these guys haha they love to eat everything on my glass - everything!!!

But... they aren't on my rocks much..

Do you have any suggestions for some additional CUC members? I'd like to perhaps add one more little CUC guy? I've been wanting a shrimp for a while though.. not sure how much cleaning they do. I actually want a Goby Shrimp or peppermint but haven't done it yet.

Here's the light I have ordered from FragBox:

$T2eC16hHJFsFFSCCK7H3BSMzNoKmbw~~48_2.JP

Another member on here has been using it on a 20G with fantastic results! Seemed a perfect fit for my tank/ setup/ needs.

Cameron6796

Cleaner shrimp would be cool

That light will support the lps corals you like may be a little spot lightish and only spread a small part of tank.

Cleaner shrimp would be cool

That light will support the lps corals you like may be a little spot lightish and only spread a small part of tank.

Which cleaner type of shrimp would you most recommend? The white/ red "skunk cleaners" seem too big for my tank !

Cameron6796

I was gonna say the skunk cleaner or a peppermint the skunk probably wouldn't be too big I've seen them in the spec v

I was gonna say the skunk cleaner or a peppermint the skunk probably wouldn't be too big I've seen them in the spec v

Thanks mate, whatever I end up with I hope they can be cool with my Goby because I love my Goby haha, he's already dug-out his space under the new rock-scape and seems even happier than before! He's sleeping now, he sleeps face-in his little dug out area. But during the day he's always face-out just hangin out and bobbin around.

So I normally work from 6am - 4pm and have been feeding my Goby once per day around 5pm every day very consistently on that schedule. He loves to eat mysis, but he will eat the plain pellets too. He will eat about 1 - 2 pellets, but about 5 - 7 mysis depending if they move around in front of him. He definitely goes after the mysis if they "move" with the current and he chases and grabs them.

However, being home on the weekends I get to see him during the day. He's very characteristic, he just woke up around 11:30am about an hour after my light came on. Right now he's honestly swimming EVERYWHERE in my tank! (On the sand, not up high)

The new rock setup gives him some more places to go around and he seems very happy. He just keeps moving so much everywhere, I'm worried that he's hungry and looking for food ??

I'm also thinking of getting a small powerhead to fit in there. I just don't know what powerhead.. I need something very very small. The smallest the LFS had said for tanks 8 gallon - 16 gallon. I bought it and put it in, but it ended up blowing the CRAP out of everything so I took it out.

Pinner Reef

There are the Koralia 240 which end up being next to nothing after a few months of running. I haven't gone little PH shopping in forever though so there is likely a better one for you. Fish are always hunting for food. Mine are chubsters and still curisse around plucking away at the pods. I start to wonder if they ever think "Guh I am sooo full" but they never seem to want to stop eating.

tried to ind the Koralia but they didn't have it at any of the 3 LFS's I tried.

They did have another brand called a "hydra" and it was 240 gph.. would this be okay? It's a magnet which I like...

Goby loves to sleep..

Skipped testing yesterday, will be doing tonight! Water is looking nice and clean, my snails are nocturnal it seems they go wild at night once the lights go off they're out everywhere. (I thought they were maybe dead yesterday since they barely moved all day haha)

Day 21:

My Goby is doing fantastic, he loves to eat everyday. Loves his little burrows under the rock on the right.

My light should be here hopefully soon, I found a new LFS that has a ton of awesome corals and really great pricing compared to other places. Family run little place so I'm looking forward to getting a few corals from them!

FTS:

1978611_10152358739280309_85163023448686

Here's the levels:

1535759_10152358739470309_15374150979908

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: <10ppm

Temp: 77*F

Salinity: 1.024

I'm thinking of picking up this week:

-Refractometer

-240ghp mini-power head for better flow and circulation

Do you freeze or refrigerate your mysis shrimp? I have these cubes in a tray but I've taken about 5 cubes and put them in a tupperware so that I can spot feed a controlled amount. I've been putting them in the freezer and thawing for 10-15 mins just on the counter to be able to get some off the block, works pretty well and he devours them.

Going to LFS's tonight!! :D

To add to my list of purchases I'm also looking for a new heater. I wish I had researched heaters a bit more before I bought my two 50watt's... they were only $30 ea. but, neither have a thermostat. I'll be looking for one with a thermostat to reduce temp. flucuations during the night when my house temp drops a few degrees.

Maybe looking at some shrimps tonight too! Wanna find a cool one to be friends with my Goby!

I'm going to the LFS in about 30 minutes, I might find a skunk cleaner..

Also going to get some dried seaweed for my snails because they're moving a little slower now and I think need more food.

However, upon coming home today I have found something that I'm very unsure about...

These little white "parasite" looking things move around on my glass. They move, they're living. They kinda look like little sperms to tell you the truth..

Does anybody have any idea what these are? I pray they're not something critically damaging to my tank...

10256963_10152360713070309_7336864322466

If these are indeed bad, how do I get rid of them asap?

Anybody?!

Day 22:

Parameters

10001443_10152361206420309_7353981307820

Picked up a Tiger Pistol Shrimp, acclimating him..

10154309_10152361206065309_6812675293506

He sat on this rock for a bit once introduced. I don't really have a quarantine setup so I just watched him carefully and he looks healthy to my untrained eye..

10177912_10152361206575309_5521553668480

He's actually now made his home beneath this rock. I'm hoping he finds my Goby tomorrow and they become a nice duo! He's been digging up my sand like crazy so far though, he needs to sleep haha...

the little white spots on the glass are pods. they are good to have, many fish and corals eat them.

have you thought about what kind of coral youre gonna have?

the little white spots on the glass are pods. they are good to have, many fish and corals eat them.

have you thought about what kind of coral youre gonna have?

Thanks for settling my fears!

I haven't thought too much into corals yet but I'd love a torch, maybe frogspawn, maybe small zoa, I'm not really all that sure.

My biggest concern with the coral is going to be introducing them in... I've read on dipping but I still don't fully understand that. I hope I can find a product that is a chemical I can add to some salt-water that I can dip in.

The LFS I plan to buy my coral from is pretty damn sweet. I managed to find this small family-run "crack in the wall" type place. It's literally a building with one door on the side without any signs anywhere..

Walk inside and it's just tanks full of frag racks. Better prices than all the big name places, and I swear they all looked so much more vibrant and healthier than the usualy LFS I went to. They just specialized in coral, so I'll probably pick some up there.

Still - I've heard that "dipping" is always a good idea incase of any bad unwanted pests.

One problem I'm currently facing is that my LED light hasn't arrived yet :(

I've been in contact with the company a few times and it may be at the border somewhere, but I was hoping for it to come by yesterday and still didn't come yet.

I know they're working to track it down so I'll be following up again later today or tomorrow if I haven't heard back yet.

Oh, and also:

I picked up a Koralia 240gph pump! Perfect size, haven't installed yet though!

Also got a new heater with integrated thermometer so I can maintain steady temp at 77*F.

I woke up this morning and my shrimp has literally drestroyed my nice even sand bed.... there's SUCH big hills and dug out valleys.

He already was sitting with my Goby though!!!!

thats awesome new man!!! they will be friends for life now.

as for dipping corals there are walkthroughs out there, maybe even a video or two but i wouldnt worry about that to much

The spots could also be baby colonista snails, hard to tell from the pictures. I would lean toward that as the goby would most likely keep any pods in check. Either pods or colonista's are good though and natural in a healthy tank.

thats awesome new man!!! they will be friends for life now.

as for dipping corals there are walkthroughs out there, maybe even a video or two but i wouldnt worry about that to much

The spots could also be baby colonista snails, hard to tell from the pictures. I would lean toward that as the goby would most likely keep any pods in check. Either pods or colonista's are good though and natural in a healthy tank.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I was pretty worried haha..

Here's what I woke up to. Excuse the low quality cell phone pics. The pistol shrimp created so many hills and made my water cloudy. He's dug out everything under the rocks. He actually reached the bottom of the glass... (Is this a concern?)

1497473_10152361878770309_27081201966341

My goby and shrimp already bonding...

10155040_10152361879090309_3212774001640

Archived