Pod Your Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

they cant hurt the glass at all or the glass wont hurt them

Day 23:

1458710_10152363013685309_73888598773471

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: <10ppm

Temp: 77.5*F steady now (new heater below)

I purchased a new heater today. One with a built in thermostat as my temperature was dipping down 2 degrees during the night. This one seems much better. Just getting it in the tank in this shot to the same temp to avoid any interruption.

10268465_10152363013085309_1708156442547

He looks content though. He came out during feeding time and was snatching some of the mysis shrimp with his claws!! He ran with the shrimp back in to his little burrows and ate it there..

10277634_10152363014255309_4951757755868

Comparison

13905667555_344a744be3_c.jpgUntitled-1 by Shpixx, on Flickr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like your tank man! I have everything ready for my Fluval Spec V. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to pick out some rock and sand! I'm also going to get a Goby and Pistol Shrimp most likely B) Not until the cycle is complete, naturally.

NorthGaHillbilly

Diggin the pistol shrimp addition. Id like to add one and a goby, but Im not sure if itd really flourish in a bare bottom tank

Diggin the pistol shrimp addition. Id like to add one and a goby, but Im not sure if itd really flourish in a bare bottom tank

Haha, diggin... I see your humor sir. I laughed out loud.

(Because all my pistol does is DIG my sand bed up Hahahahaha)

Hows the flow with the 606 and that stock nozzle? I got a Hydor deflector to add to the return pump there but it kinda touches the glass and I have no way to direct it. I was also thinking about getting one of those Koralia 240 nano pumps like you've got. They're less than $20.

Hows the flow with the 606 and that stock nozzle? I got a Hydor deflector to add to the return pump there but it kinda touches the glass and I have no way to direct it. I was also thinking about getting one of those Koralia 240 nano pumps like you've got. They're less than $20.

I don't have the 606 on my Fluval jet - just the stock pump down at the bottom which works pretty decent to be honest. Lots of people upgrade to the 606 however. That's the reason I bought the Koralia though... I paid $39 for it from the LFS :(

The 240 works awesome, it blasts the crap out of everything if you don't have it aimed in a decent spot though. I tried several different angles before I had it where I liked what it was doing. My tank's super stirred up lately because of the Tiger Shirmp (he loves to move sand!) and the new pump.. hoping it clears a bit tonight.

My light just arrived at the warehouse so I have my fingers crossed it ships ASAP! Hopefully next week...

Is there anything I should know about Torch coral ?

The tank is looking great! I have the same issue with my pistol shrimp. He actually completely altered my scape at one point. Had to redo it all and ensure all my rock was touching the glass bottom. Love him to death though. Once your sandbed ages, less and less will get kicked up and stirred up by the pump and pistol shrimp.

Keep them away from most other corals haha.

Eh, doing some research now... they can extend 6"! That's my whole tank HAHAHAH... might not be able to get a Torch.

I want something cool like that though that moves nicely in the current. Any suggestions??

The tank is looking great! I have the same issue with my pistol shrimp. He actually completely altered my scape at one point. Had to redo it all and ensure all my rock was touching the glass bottom. Love him to death though. Once your sandbed ages, less and less will get kicked up and stirred up by the pump and pistol shrimp.

Thanks mate! Hah, he loves to dig. I always look forward to coming home now to see what he's done all day. He's already eating my mysis too.. yesterday he was coming out and grabbing it with his claws and running back under the rock. I hope him and my Goby continue to bond and eventually he brings food to my Goby for him. Would be very neat.

Any easy to keep beginning coral suggestions?

I am still a rookie myself, so coral keeping suggestions, I am unsure about. My blastos seems to be doing very well and simple mushrooms never complain. I am still tweaking the system some based on my coral reactions. Everything I have is still alive, but my Blastos, Gorgonia and mushrooms seem to be doing the best. I am hoping once I change over from my LFS saltwater which is instant ocean to Red sea Pro salt everything will chirp up even more.

From what I have read, most would recommend starting out with softies, like Zoa's, mushrooms and Xenia. Lots to find under nano reefs classifieds!

Good luck on the coral hunt! I will be following! Lots for me to still learn from others questions and suggestions too.

I am still a rookie myself, so coral keeping suggestions, I am unsure about. My blastos seems to be doing very well and simple mushrooms never complain. I am still tweaking the system some based on my coral reactions. Everything I have is still alive, but my Blastos, Gorgonia and mushrooms seem to be doing the best. I am hoping once I change over from my LFS saltwater which is instant ocean to Red sea Pro salt everything will chirp up even more.

From what I have read, most would recommend starting out with softies, like Zoa's, mushrooms and Xenia. Lots to find under nano reefs classifieds!

Good luck on the coral hunt! I will be following! Lots for me to still learn from others questions and suggestions too.

Thanks for the feedback mate!

Day 24:

I woke up this morning and found my Goby & Shrimp together, motionless. They seemed content. Was so happy.

But when I got home... I was even happier to see that my Goby has actually moved from his previous spot under the right side rock - and now in to the large area dug out by the Shrimp. The Shrimp hasn't stopped. He's pushing sand constantly around and the Goby was just there watching...

However, he can see me directly now when I approach the tank and usually tucks back in the rock and hides...

Shrimp doesn't eat as much as the Goby but he still likes the food.

Here's a picture from late last night:

10153107_10152365072955309_9995257896649

10269544_10152365087330309_5047293386500

Eh, doing some research now... they can extend 6"! That's my whole tank HAHAHAH... might not be able to get a Torch.

I want something cool like that though that moves nicely in the current. Any suggestions??

Any easy to keep beginning coral suggestions?

Check out Leather Corals, especially Finger Leather or Spaghetti Leather. They have branches, but are soft and sway in the water column.

The Devil's Hand is friggin' sick.

p-39303-devil-hand-coral.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+2662+646&pcatid=646

We're gonna have twin tanks, dude. I just set up my Spec V today, completely! I'm gonna start a belated thread soon. It's still just rock and sand. Gotta wait for things to settle...

Great editing on that awesome footage, bro. When that Pistol brought the hammer down on that mysis... Cheeky boy.

Great editing on that awesome footage, bro. When that Pistol brought the hammer down on that mysis... Cheeky boy.

Thanks so much man! Post up some pics I really wanna see your tank!!

Day 25:

Last night at around 4:00am for whatever reason I woke up from sleep and the lid on my tank was vibrating. Haven't had this happen before so I got up half asleep to go reposition the lid so that it stopped. In doing so I noticed one of my Trochus snails was upside down in the sand squirming to get back up. I really quickly grabbed my baster and helped him up right. Poor guy.. he just sat on the sand for a bit and then I just went back to sleep.

Fast forward now to the morning, he's in the same spot. Ok - not unusual as they usually are most active in the evening/ night.

He hasn't moved all day....

1798544_10152367390805309_18916163420375

Goby curious...

10177977_10152367391045309_4645876969731

I bought a refractomer today..

1625454_10152367390905309_91227641264237

Also pinched a little bit of seaweed on the magnetic cleaner. I usually don't leave the cleaner in the tank so if they haven't eaten it by tonight I may take it out.

10276025_10152367391105309_8191848573596

1538779_10152367391275309_68079275860983

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm

Salt: 1.026ppm

Temp. 77-78*F

Also picked up two new test, KH & GH. The results were as follows:

GH: 0ppm (This literally did not change. I'm unsure if this is something that is even present in a SW Tank?)

KH: 160ppm

2 Questions:

- Is GH something to test for in a SW tank like mine? It did not change color even with 20+ drops.

- Should I add another Trochus snail to replace the one that is potentially dead? Also, how long should I give him before taking him out of the tank? My Shrimp was actually digging in the sand before and flipped the snail over again.. the snail was motionless beneath.

~ Cheers! (I have an awesome feeding video coming later/ tomorrow. Goby was going on top of the rocks!)

I believe my snail is officially deceased. RIP poor little guy. He was my 3rd snail. My 1st & 2nd snail are still doing well.

A little saddened by this, but I guess this is the way such things go.

I'm unsure his cause of death. I do know that I woke up at 4am last night and found him upside down. I placed him back right side up, be he didn't move. When I woke up in the morning however I did note him in a completely different spot. I've determined that the reason he was in a different spot was simply due to my Tiger Shrimp moving sand, and also moving him. The Tiger Shrimp doesn't appear to have any interest in him. I've realized because he has moved the Snail again, and the snail is partially buried in sand now and completely motionless upside down. I believe that he may have just exhausted himself through the night trying to get back up right before I helped him.

My other two snails are doing well this evening - and have eaten the seaweed that I left for them.

I guess it's time to dispose of my snail...

tank looks great. what kind of corals are you planning on adding?

Thank you mate!

Two corals that I really like are frog spawn's and hammer's.

I liked Torch corals but upon some review I don't know how well one of these would do in my small tank, as they can extend at night and sting things! :(

Do you have any opinion in regards to the recent death of my Snail?

love your tank and your goby is awesome, it's making me consider getting one when my tank is cycled and ready for fish.

Thanks alot mate!

Looking so cool, love the shrimp and goby pair. :happy:

Thank you!

I'm not sure if my snail has resurrected over night... he's in a totally different spot now since not moving for 2 days and he's up right.

He was not up-right when I went to bed last night. Hope he's alive... light comes in a little bit for me to see a bit better. Goby & Pistol are totally together right now cuddling haha

Thank you mate!

Two corals that I really like are frog spawn's and hammer's.

I liked Torch corals but upon some review I don't know how well one of these would do in my small tank, as they can extend at night and sting things! :(

Do you have any opinion in regards to the recent death of my Snail?

#1: Beware of Frogspawn as well because they also have stinging abilities, though aren't known to outstretch to the extent of the Torch corals.

#2: Regarding your snail; I don't really think you need 3 snails in there, brotha. The tank is small and there's not enough of a food source for the snails in such a space. Your Pistol is an excellent scavenger and cleans up most of the mysis waste before the snails could ever get to it. Your Goby even makes sure of that. Also, there will never be enough algae buildup to keep that many snails happy. I'm worried about putting 2 snails for my cleanup crew as I think they would eventually compete for food.

I may just get either a Nassarius or Cerith Snail (one or the other) and an Emerald Crab or Shrimp. I'll see how long it takes one snail to manage my algae, then add another if I think the algae is too much for the snail to control on its own. You can always add more, but it's more of a hassle (and a waste of time and money once you gotta take a little guy back to the LFS) to take out livestock and find them a home. For you, keep the two snails. If you want, add some sort of crab that your Pistol wouldn't destroy. Honestly it depends on the temperament of your Pistol. If he's a nice guy, try out a Pom Pom or Emerald Crab.

Thanks for the tips dude. I really dig the look of a hammer coral. The Torch seems a bit too much. I've read it can extend several inches during night and sting other corals/ fish even. If I got one in my tank, it would be able to extend the whole tank haha!!

At least a hammer doesn't have that much, so I could put it somewhere and keep it away from other stuff. I'm a fan of the look!

Also, retract my last statement about the snail. My Tiger Shrimp is going to town on my poor dead snail as I type this. I think the snail was already deceased prior, however. I guess that's the way of life... RIP.

Your Goby is a tank... that dude eats a shit-ton. That's the only reason I won't be getting an Orange Spotted; they have a large bio-load and I'm way too OCD for that.

I've done non-stop research, for hours a day, for the last 4-5 months; on corals, inverts, and fish, and everything SW related. I don't even own any corals or fish yet, though I do have a Freshwater tank haha :lol: But I've learned so much. My advice to you, sir, is to become an expert on every piece of coral before you buy a frag; learn exactly what water and lighting parameters each species thrives in best.

As you now know, be mindful of other aspects of each coral such as the ability to sting. Many corals have these defense mechanisms. Also, plan ahead and group corals that fall under the same water parameters to save yourself a headache later on. Lighting is a little more flexible, since you can always place corals in different parts of your tank where more/less light is abundant, depending on the needs of the coral.

You obviously don't need advice for your fish, as your Goby and Pistol seem to be doing great! Your two remaining snails will be fine. Just put a little dry seaweed on the sandbed before you go to sleep. They'll get to it when the shrimp/goby go to sleep.

Archived