Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you move it to your rock? the coral looks pretty happy though =P

He's literally used it now as part of his burrows, and him and the Goby and underneath is. The thing got BIGGER though I swear.. or perhaps the angle I'm looking at it front just appears bigger.

Aren't Hammer's pretty delicate to touch at all? That's my main concern.

The root of the Hammer is under the sand kind of still - over where they are at the rocks it's just under. They've really secured it in there and made it part of the burrow.

Might just leave it and make it a hammer garden. It's gotten big and looks good I think. Just some parts seem crunched up in the side of the rock/ sand! :(

I hope they don't move it again... this is the only real spot that I want it to be haha... I messed up his home last night and now I gotta do it again tonight he's gonna be pisssed!!! Maybe once lights go out I will..

NorthGaHillbilly

I expect the shrimp will continue to move it untill you get it secured down. You could break off the excess skeleton behind the heads leaving the live portion with an inch or two of the old "stalk" and epoxy it down to the rock where you want it. Just be sure you'll have enough access to frag off heads as it grows and starts taking over the tank.

Cameron6796

Yeah I'd move it in fear of a head being to close to sand and getting stressed, like mention I'd frag of the excess skeleton to being just under where flesh starts, then krazy glue it down.

Yeah I'd move it in fear of a head being to close to sand and getting stressed, like mention I'd frag of the excess skeleton to being just under where flesh starts, then krazy glue it down.

I expect the shrimp will continue to move it untill you get it secured down. You could break off the excess skeleton behind the heads leaving the live portion with an inch or two of the old "stalk" and epoxy it down to the rock where you want it. Just be sure you'll have enough access to frag off heads as it grows and starts taking over the tank.

I haven't done too much research yet on fragging so I'm a bit fearful of attempting that just yet.

I did move it last night - really pissed off my shrimp haha.. put it back to where it was nicely situated before.

Woke up and they had re-burrowed their area, but minute my hammer so they haven't moved it back thankfully.

Will see how it looks when I get home though...

NorthGaHillbilly

I haven't done too much research yet on fragging so I'm a bit fearful of attempting that just yet.

I did move it last night - really pissed off my shrimp haha.. put it back to where it was nicely situated before.

Woke up and they had re-burrowed their area, but minute my hammer so they haven't moved it back thankfully.

Will see how it looks when I get home though...

The Bain branch of the coral is just a dead skeleton, the live portion only extends alittle back from where the heads are. If you take and go behind where all the branchs split from one you can go back ~1" and break off the excess. That will give you a more compact coral. I'm fond of the expoy putty and GEL superglue method for attaching stuff that is shown in a sticky in the coral forum. I think your really just going to keep running in cirles till it's secured down.
Legendary Corals
37:

My Goby & Shrimp have either moved my Hammer coral - or the Hammer moved itself.

It's literally 2 inches away from where it used to be, and looks ALOT bigger!! I have no idea what happened.. but the Shrimp has literally made this part of his burrows.

I guess this is my payback for moving his sand back yesterday from when he moved it.

Damnet!!!

Does this look okay for the Coral to you guys???

10251923_10152397941570309_8502892525784

10258704_10152397941565309_6932579305164

I think it looks pretty cool. LOL

NanoClown

+1 to moving it to a more secure location or fragging it smaller and gluing it to your rockwork.

It's only causing some stress on the coral when your pistol shrimp is throwing sand on it and burying it

You can see where he kind of buried it - the most bottom right head in the 2nd pic!

I moved it. Will see where it is when I get home. If it's bad, I'll just glue it down up on the one rock! :) Should still be nice then!

Just my two cents, but I think your shrimp might be having a hard time constructing a borrow since your sands so fine. Great tank!

Just my two cents, but I think your shrimp might be having a hard time constructing a borrow since your sands so fine. Great tank!

That sounds reasonable. Poor guy. Nothing I can do now to help haha, but he's got 3 really nice burrows in my tank and my goby shares all and goes in them all with him. His favorite is the farthest right, underneath the one rock which he actually managed to push to where it currently is. Every morning I wake up him and my goby are together there!

Got a little surprise for tomorrow guys..

Starts with ric .. Rhymes with .. Cordia. Hehehehehhe..

I've got a lot of Caribsea Agro Live sand left that I'm not gonna use. It's fairly coarse. You pay for shipping you can have it. Maybe mix it in with what you got. He'd prolly collect the grains he needed. Least that way you wouldn't have to buy a whole bag. Lemme know.

Thanks for the offer justinmb, I'll see how things progress and may just pickup a 5lbs bag of denser sand if needed! Today he seemed very happy, he's moved spots haha! Now I can't see him much..

However... Big updates tomorrow morning dudes! Let's just say I might be going pretty extreme with this spec v haha...

I also found a ...birdsnest,...

Day 37:

Acclimating / Dipping my new Ricordia frag!

10345776_10152403331305309_2053331804447

In the tank - It's actually in a bit different spot now, with less flow.

10297617_10152403331780309_7281252480230

Closeup

13919151270_0fca387736_c.jpgIMG_0399 by Shpixx, on Flickr

Day 38:

The day I've been waiting for. Two tank bred Black Ocellaris Clownfish. They've been together since I took them home. I traveled to a specific LFS for these guys. They were in a massive 100G tank with about 10 others like them brothers/ sisters. Very happy little swimmers and look wonderful. I'm facing one problem however - they aren't into my mysis shrimp OR the pellets. Trying to figure out what they will eat..They do GO for the pellets right away, but will spit them out.
https://flic.kr/p/nuvPq1'>14106171764_f084b5a545_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/nuvPq1'>IMG_0413 by https://www.flickr.com/people/28981829@N05/'>Shpixx, on Flickr

Here's my Goby, curious:

https://flic.kr/p/ncZ3YB'>13919104979_fb08ea27bd_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/ncZ3YB'>IMG_0385 by https://www.flickr.com/people/28981829@N05/'>Shpixx, on Flickr

My Hammer:

10171071_10152403331575309_1414175269815

Here's my Parameters from yesterday - Day 38:

10294464_10152403332295309_4876744246902

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: Approx 5-10ppm

Day 39 (Early morning, today):

Did a 30% water change. Here's my two pitches filled with fresh new salt-water, being heated:

10313045_10152403337895309_5295235055788

I use an accudrip to siphon the water out of the tank. I draw 2 pitchers worth of water from the tank. I then use the accudrip to slowly siphon this new clean water in to the tank. I do this to create absolutely NO stir up in the tank, and for the temp. to be perfectly level during the change. Works awesome.

10257755_10152403337960309_5089823293529

For anyone wondering, here is how I covered the opening in my Spec. Cut some grill to cover it perfectly, and just used a dap of superglue on each corner so it stays in place. Works awesome and zero vibration/ rattle.

10268585_10152403337640309_1591356403782

Overall everything is doing so well. I'm very pleased. The clown's don't seem too stressed, they slept side by side all night, and they look so happy together. They literally cuddle next to each other touching the whole night.

They seem to really like the left side of my tank, but did venture out to the mid - right side this morning.

They're swimming pretty calm, which I'm pleased.

Tonight I'll be doing full water testing again to check the levels (after the water change that happened, hoping that nitrate came down!)

~ Cheers everyone! (Have another surprise coming tonight!!)

Dang dude, love how your tank is coming along! Your photo/video skills are great! And those clowns are awesome, can't wait to find out what the next surprise is :happy:

It is coming along nicely.

Are you still liking the light? Would you recommend it or purchase it again?

The clowns look really cool! I picked up a pair of small clowns about a month ago for my tank, they are about the same size and inch or under and they wouldn't eat pellets at first either they'd spit them out like yours so I got some flakes that way they can get smaller pieces and they eat that just fine maybe try that. I use ocean nutrition formula two flakes.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ocean_Nutrition_Formula_Two_Flake_Food_Saltwater_Flake_Fish_Food-Ocean_Nutrition-ON2131-FIFDDRFLSW-vi.html

Curious to see how the clowns and goby go. I'd love to add the goby but I'm nervous it woild be too much in mine. My rock is a bit bigger than yours though

Curious to see how the clowns and goby go.

+1 on that, I was thinking off adding a shrimp goby pair and 1 clown to my spec, so curious to see the progress! :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Looks awesome man, that recordia has three mouths from what I see, so expect some growth!

Hope the parameters stay within a safe range, pretty heavy bio load now.

NanoClown

Wow those are some awesome clowns B)

Ive always wanted the Black and White Ocellaris. They look very healthy, I hope you get them to eat!

Archived