Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Thanks for posting the pic dude, for some reason I was expecting them to be like laying the sand or something when they sleep haha. Anyway your tank is so amazing, can't wait to start adding some life to mine.

Do you shut your lights completely off in your tank at night, no lunar lights or anything, just black?

I wish they would lay in the sand to sleep - but I think my Shrimp would come out and dump sand on them or something lol.

I have it pitch black at night, I presume the LFS was like this. I'm not sure.. I know some guys have blue LED's for nighttime. Is blue a specific color that won't make anything "grow" like my corals under the Halo ?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the video! Makes me want to get another fish. My Tailspot is pretty timid like your Orange Spotted. I gotta fill the voids in the top of the tank. People walk by and think it's empty sometimes... <_<

I wish they would lay in the sand to sleep - but I think my Shrimp would come out and dump sand on them or something lol.

I have it pitch black at night, I presume the LFS was like this. I'm not sure.. I know some guys have blue LED's for nighttime. Is blue a specific color that won't make anything "grow" like my corals under the Halo ?

I'm not sure, a lot of people say the blue light is not necessary though, I don't know much about lighting and I am still learning

Day 41!

Updated my first page to detail my setup!

Love them..

14123982902_3985bd1119_c.jpgIMG_0565 by Shpixx, on Flickr

14123655201_398bbccc24_c.jpgIMG_0583 by Shpixx, on Flickr

Not too much happening tonight! Thinking of moving my Ricordia from the rock down into the sand just beneath that spot and letting it take-over that entire corner!

ninjamyst

Day 41!

Love them..

Not too much happening tonight! Thinking of moving my Ricordia from the rock down into the sand just beneath that spot and letting it take-over that entire corner!

Your tank looks so much bigger than mine! I think you should move the ric into the cave, and get like 10 more =P.

I was JUST coming in here as I was staring at that photo thinking... I wonder if I filled up that cave on the right rock with two Ricordia frags and let them grow/ combine in-to each other to be a beautiful wavy ric filled space!!

I like that idea... might have to do that tomorrow.

Hope my birdnest can come back to life though..

Well...

Hm.. I want my Ric over on that right side that big hole/ cave area you see on the top/middle of the right rock.

Think it would be okay? Or keep it on the left?

Also - was just looking through my tank with my flashlight since it's all dark currently and got startled by a pretty damn big brittle worm. Blah - super creepy in a deep crevice of the back-side of my rock-scape. He darted back in from the light...

i was saying to put it in the middle and line that entire sandbed with rics, like 10-15 of them.

But it's all shaded under there! Ric's should go in the sand though?

Been thinking of moving it... My Goby / Shrimp ravage the sand bed though during the night which is my biggest concern.

Your really making me want to get clowns now. I saw these clowns in Pittsburgh called nano clowns, they were like a 1/2 inch. I was stoked but the lady said they just do that to sell them, they were babies and they grow to normal size. Decisions decisions

Your tank looks amazing brother. I really hope the algae in mine passes because your Coralline Algae is gorgeous. The colors in your tank make me feel like i'm on something good B)

Your tank looks amazing brother. I really hope the algae in mine passes because your Coralline Algae is gorgeous. The colors in your tank make me feel like i'm on something good B)

Thanks my friend! Can't wait to see some shots of your YCG!

Day 42:

My Birdsnest doesn't seem to be doing so well.. :(

10273439_10152410550185309_8777702330326

However - I moved my Ricordia to the sandbed last night and he's doing great! I made an attempt to see if he would eat mysis or pellets. Not into the mysis, but he ate some pellet! Thinking of finding another to put next to it!

10175959_10152410550265309_1729371983736

Tried getting some shots to show how connected they seem to be. Very difficult, and I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable in regards to camera's. Managed to get two shots, but still not super pleased with them. They follow each other around everywhere. I am really happy, they're becoming more and more comfortable each day. They will actually come up to the glass when I'm near, I think they expect food. They love the pellets.

10325596_10152410550000309_3814028330384

10253870_10152410550435309_9051911044087

10277743_10152410550755309_8768430925644

And what post would be complete without some parameters!

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm (Looks to be a bit lighter than usual!)

Temp: 77.5*F

Sg: 1.026

Hoping my Birdsnest pulls though but.. doesn't look too well. I'm not sure. I'll leave it for a bit and see.

Thinking of grabbing another Acan to put next to my current!

Cameron6796

It's bleaching pretty quick it's probably gone, I'd honestly stay away from sps for a few months. Btw love the clowns maybe a little much once they get big. Another thing your hammer is getting fluffier and fluffier in every pic

NorthGaHillbilly

hate to hear about the birdsnest man, Id give it another go here in a few months. There fast growers, but a new tank, especially a small tank, stability can be an issue. Everything else looks awesome, looks like your solutions for the nitrate are working out well!

Thanks guys. I think the biggest problem with the birdnest was that it took a beating during the drive home. :(

Also may have added too much dip. Like.. usually a drop or two, I spilled far more.

It's okay though. Tonight I got a surrpise planned to pick up at the LFS and show you all.. (I hope!)

TheDude324

Day 41!

Love them..

Dude those clowns a killer i had a pair just like that in my last tank love to see them swim together

Your tank looks awesome

Do you do anything like dosing for that hammer i have heard they suck up Calcium like crazy

Dude those clowns a killer i had a pair just like that in my last tank love to see them swim together

Your tank looks awesome

Do you do anything like dosing for that hammer i have heard they suck up Calcium like crazy

Thanks alot mate! No dosing required, I'm going a fairly expensive route and buying jugged marine/sea water. Salt, calcium, all that jazz already mixed in. It's like $10 for 2.5Gallon which lasts about 2 water changes. (And I do weekly, and sometimes bi-weekly changes. Or, smaller changes sometimes.)

You could probably save that birdsnest. If you want to try:

Place it in a very light flow, but not no flow area with low light reaching it, not too close to sand bed. See if you can find chaeto or a fast growing green algae and place that in another part of tank. This will not only remove some nitrate and phosphates, but also algae returns important chemicals for growth to water. Remove the damn Chemipure! GFO and carbon remove too much on top of purigen and quite frankly some of that stuff is required for coral growth (also they could expire more rapidly in a just finished cycled tank and not be effective at all). Get some reef snow, etc. And every night, an hour or two after the light is off or whenever it has even a bit of polyp extension, give a light dusting (not too much).

Archived