• Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Well....part of the skimmer has been really cleaned. :P

20150630_230831_zpslqqvao56.jpg

The other part awaits. :o

20150630_230849_zpshtdowwqw.jpg

Beautiful skimmer cup! :lol:

Why clean the cup though... Isn't it more efficient with the layer of detritus? I purposely do NOT clean it when I empty the skimate. Is that not correct?

jedimasterben

Beautiful skimmer cup! :lol:

Why clean the cup though... Isn't it more efficient with the layer of detritus? I purposely do NOT clean it when I empty the skimate. Is that not correct?

No. It works best when the neck is clean, that is why motorized neck cleaners are a thing. ;)

No. It works best when the neck is clean, that is why motorized neck cleaners are a thing. ;)

ORLY?

Another thing I was lead astray on. I haven't cleaned my skimmer cup in almost a year because I was told it would have to break in all over again if I cleaned it.

jedimasterben

ORLY?

Another thing I was lead astray on. I haven't cleaned my skimmer cup in almost a year because I was told it would have to break in all over again if I cleaned it.

Nah, just give it a good once-over with a brush when you dump it out, it will lose the foam head for around an hour tops and then be right back at it. :)

Hey Gena- question.

Do your RFAs close up at night or stay open? Mine staysopen 24/7, but I'm not sure if that's normal or if the 3% moonlight is excessive.

(My BTAs close at night, so that is why in confused)

I am now RFA-less. I gave away what I had left. Thinking about getting a pure white, pink, and green one though lol. Anyways, mine would do both. They'd be closed and then open up.

ORLY?

I must have read the same bad information a few years ago and I guess it's still out there. I thought the same as you.....cleaning the cup would make it less efficient. But it's not true at all. I cleaned mine weekly and like Ben said, the foam head was back within an hour.
FlowerMama

I am cleaning everything because the tank was plagued w/ horrific dino. Afraid if I put it in without cleaning that the spawn from Satan, though dried up on it, may come back once reconstituted. I had to take everything out of the tank. I don't want to take any chances.

Luckily, I haven't found any dino in the 20 or 34g where rocks w/ rfas from this large tank had been placed. I'll also replace the overflow tube but the one that travels up from the pump to DT will not be replaced. It took me a long time to glue it so no water was spraying so I'm leaving it alone.

After the Chemiclean and the lime addition, I couldn't get it to straighten up. No matter what I did made no difference in the skimmer cup. It overfloweth!!!

thecoralbeauty

Well....part of the skimmer has been really cleaned. :P

20150630_230831_zpslqqvao56.jpg

The other part awaits. :o

20150630_230849_zpshtdowwqw.jpg

Annette! You must be my sister somehow, because I have a huge obsession with puzzles and i spy a puzzle in that photo!!! My best friend and I get together and do them over our coffee tables for stress relief. Things get interesting when we bring out the wine, too.

;)

FlowerMama

Annette! You must be my sister somehow, because I have a huge obsession with puzzles and i spy a puzzle in that photo!!! My best friend and I get together and do them over our coffee tables for stress relief. Things get interesting when we bring out the wine, too.

;)

Ha! You'll like this one then.... I've been so busy I haven't sat down yet w/ it much.

20150701_183351_zpsiuvoxpxg.jpg

FlowerMama

Spawning event is probably going to happen tonight or tomorrow for tomorrow's full moon. All the flowers are contorting this way n' that.

20150701_203841_zpstxy2m4e6.jpg

20150701_203845_zpszoadqrfb.jpg

20150701_203850_zpsllm51sw3.jpg

20150701_203900_zpshns8syi8.jpg

20150701_203921_zps1ajetray.jpg

20150701_203931_zps6x7x1ght.jpg

FlowerMama

I've seen full moon, half moon, new moon, all moons at one point or another. Oh, quarter moon too.

Not always the same ones each time.

Spawning event is probably going to happen tonight or tomorrow for tomorrow's full moon. All the flowers are contorting this way n' that.

20150701_203841_zpstxy2m4e6.jpg

20150701_203845_zpszoadqrfb.jpg

20150701_203850_zpsllm51sw3.jpg

20150701_203900_zpshns8syi8.jpg

20150701_203921_zps1ajetray.jpg

20150701_203931_zps6x7x1ght.jpg

Great photos! I love your collection.

hey just thinking about your plumbing and how you can't take it apart - what about running a vinegar bath through it?

Funny that you mentioned this... When I got home today my two biggest were very wiggly!! I wonder if they will spawn later??

FlowerMama

Usually it's once they're like 2" big they starting showing signs of being sexually active. Mine open/close a lot but don't move much once they find a spot they like.

HarryPotter

Do you need to have the RFAs close to each other?

I have two 3" RFAs on opposite sides of the tank- if I put them together, could they spawn? How would I know male/female?

FlowerMama

I spread mine out, over time they gravitate to each other. They like clumps. When the male spawns it just goes into the water column, the females ingest it and maybe 2 mos later you see some babies. Makes no difference if they're next to each other or not. No way to know male or female until they spawn. Mama can release them too early through her mouth, they're as tiny as betta pellets, or if matured out the bottom of the flower somewhere. I haven't witnessed the latter.. That's what's part of the fun, you don't know if you have females or males unless you pay attention, but when they're 2" big they seem to be ready. Remember rfas get 3-5" big.

HarryPotter

I spread mine out, over time they gravitate to each other. They like clumps. When the male spawns it just goes into the water column, the females ingest it and maybe 2 mos later you see some babies. Makes no difference if they're next to each other or not. No way to know male or female until they spawn. Mama can release them too early through her mouth, they're as tiny as betta pellets, or if matured out the bottom of the flower somewhere. I haven't witnessed the latter.. That's what's part of the fun, you don't know if you have females or males unless you pay attention, but when they're 2" big they seem to be ready. Remember rfas get 3-5" big.

Is there anything I should/can do to encourage babies? I can easily move the two together. Yeah they're big...

Is this a female?

6057581D-7C58-42FC-B81C-A16E7BA8D99F_zps

Archived