Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

So, I'll be having a garage sale in a month. Anyone know how to price crystal so I don't sell too low, or if I choose to go to an antique shop to not get offended? Granted I know they need to make a buck. If you're knowledgeable please let me know. The antique shops are in my mom's town which has tons of elderly people. I figure that'd be the place to get it done as they'll probably want it.

6"

20150812_190323_zps4cujt27s.jpg

5"

20150812_190335_zpsoxyxyytr.jpg

11"

20150812_190351_zpsgdf8ccxn.jpg

7.5"

20150812_190411_zpsymmelfru.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how much it's worth but I do know that my mom spends wayyy too much money on them.

Good luck with the sale.

I don't know how much it's worth but I do know that my mom spends wayyy too much money on them.

Good luck with the sale.

I inherited these from my deceased husband and all I know is some is younger, some like the covered dish is probably older and that's all I know. I never had an attachment to them as he had them in a previous marriage but with moving I just don't need them.

I am so behind! So what ever happened with setting up the 40B. Is it on hold because you're moving?

Wish I knew how to price crystal, but I have no clue. They're very pretty though!

I am so behind! So what ever happened with setting up the 40B. Is it on hold because you're moving?

Wish I knew how to price crystal, but I have no clue. They're very pretty though!

Yep, holding off setting up since I'm moving in 4 mos. Funny thing is my 34g circulation fuge pump crapped out so I take it as a sign too, so there's nothing in the fuge there anymore. No point in putting a pump in there so I'll just have to move the skimmer up there but it's small.

Yeah its smart to hold off until you move. Once you get all settled in, you can work on getting the tanks set up just how you want them.

Yeah its smart to hold off until you move. Once you get all settled in, you can work on getting the tanks set up just how you want them.

Exactly, and this time I'm just doing the 40, a heater, the Maxspect lights and the Reef Octopus 90 HOB Skimmer I originally bought for the 34g. Not fuging it. I want to go back to simpler and I want to make it more like Gertie's tank right now w/ macro in it. I really like what Gertie's tank has become. Except I'm going to have black substrate.

20150709_202859_zps7en3pavr.jpg

20150705_175958_zpso6dqkgmt.jpg

20150706_194858_zpsq0i1q60m.jpg

Yeah there's definitely something to be said for the simpler systems. I miss my original 30 gallon TOTM that just had an AC70 on it and not even a skimmer. Sumps are nice too and I'm really liking my current system. You just have to get it set up just right so it isn't a pain, which definitely takes some trial and error.

I think crystal has to be the most difficult thing to figure out the value on if you have no knowledge of it at all. It all looks the same to me but I'm sure each one has a designer. I have a couple of pieces that I picked up because I liked the colors. One is a blue covered candy dish and the other is an open candy dish but the color is chartreuse. I'd like to sell them but have no clue what to ask for them. I should take them to an antique dealer. Maybe I'll do that today! Let me know what they tell you and I'll do the same :).

Best I can say is to look on eBay for similar items.

Good suggestion, though keep in mind some stuff might be sitting in an eBay shop for a long time because it is overpriced. Best bet would be to look at expired auctions and see what things went for.

If you can identify makers marks on the pieces you can probably Google a price guide. Another place to look is on some antiquing sites like Kovel's.

I think at this point I'm sure an antique dealer will give me a little more than a person on the street and I just want them gone so I'll take what they can give me. I know they'll profit when they turn around and sell it. Kinda like when you're done w/ your tank, you're done and just want to make room for new corals, etc.

I might just take 3 lamps and 2 hurricane shades to a lamp store here tomorrow and some quilted items and leave the crystal for another weekend. I'm so tired from this week.

I think at this point I'm sure an antique dealer will give me a little more than a person on the street and I just want them gone so I'll take what they can give me. I know they'll profit when they turn around and sell it. Kinda like when you're done w/ your tank, you're done and just want to make room for new corals, etc.

I might just take 3 lamps and 2 hurricane shades to a lamp store here tomorrow and some quilted items and leave the crystal for another weekend. I'm so tired from this week.

Some dealers will sell on commission too! So they hold the items for you until they sell and then they will take their cut. That might be an option. I still haven't taken my glass to the dealer. Maybe tomorrow.

I never did end up going yesterday. Too tired from the prev week. I did take some pics of my 3 lamps and 2 huge hurricane shades *15 x 7.5" and showed them to a nearby lamp store and he said he could give me $65 for all 5 things. Said they rewire all their lamps. They don't need to do that so I'm sure he was only saying that to justify giving me so little. I'll try at the garage sale. That's after he told me I could try sell for $35 a piece in a garage sale. So I can try $25-30 and still do better than what he wanted to offer me.

I never did end up going yesterday. Too tired from the prev week. I did take some pics of my 3 lamps and 2 huge hurricane shades *15 x 7.5" and showed them to a nearby lamp store and he said he could give me $65 for all 5 things. Said they rewire all their lamps. They don't need to do that so I'm sure he was only saying that to justify giving me so little. I'll try at the garage sale. That's after he told me I could try sell for $35 a piece in a garage sale. So I can try $25-30 and still do better than what he wanted to offer me.

Well, at least you got a general price range to ask at your GS. I am going to try to stop by the antique shops this week to see what they can tell me about my glass. I think I'll just take whatever is offered just to get rid of them. I have way too much stuff LOL.

Well, at least you got a general price range to ask at your GS. I am going to try to stop by the antique shops this week to see what they can tell me about my glass. I think I'll just take whatever is offered just to get rid of them. I have way too much stuff LOL.

When you're done, you're done!! I've put a few things by the dumpster just to be rid of them! My mom is having a garage sale, but only took items from me to sell for $10 or more, it's just too much work to price out all the little things. Now I have a couple of boxes for drop off at Goodwill, I just don't want to have the clutter and junk anymore!

Good luck to both you on selling your glass/lamps//crystal!

When you're done, you're done!! I've put a few things by the dumpster just to be rid of them! My mom is having a garage sale, but only took items from me to sell for $10 or more, it's just too much work to price out all the little things. Now I have a couple of boxes for drop off at Goodwill, I just don't want to have the clutter and junk anymore!

Good luck to both you on selling your glass/lamps//crystal!

This week my goal is to do some decluttering! I will be making a big pile for the Goodwill :). And taking things to the antique store.

Funny, I bought a book about decluttering like 8 mos ago, never read it yet. I guess it's clutter too now. I'll keep it, might help me lessen up anything else later.

Funny, I bought a book about decluttering like 8 mos ago, never read it yet. I guess it's clutter too now. I'll keep it, might help me lessen up anything else later.

If you read it, let me know some of the tips that stand out the most to you :).

I will. I did sell a desk after work through a local yardsale FB forum so that was good. One thing less to dismantle or move!

• 2 weeks later...

Was it you that said you have an Acan Bowerbanki? Do you still have it and if so could you post a picture of it for me please? Acan shopping and it is hard to see what things look like from a just cut head sometimes.

20150829_172606_zps9zy6qeja.jpg

20150829_171721_zpstiogrf0o.jpg

What you don't see is the yellow that's on it. But it's mostly pink and blue.

20150829_171714_zpswpvs9e4z.jpg

Much bigger than your average acan. One head is over an inch big now.

Love the color! Is the yellow on the pink part. Little stripes? Did you get it as a frag of one head? How fast has it grown?

Archived