Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

thecoralbeauty

It's just crazy, have them in a tank to do just that and I got the worst dino in the world. Then I move them out of it for temporary holding and they had babies. Hoping. I'm sure I'm not the only one to lose babies in this learning process.

your vacation pics make me so jealous. especially the fried food. my gluten-free taste buds are living vicariously through those photos!! and i so want to go to the beach now. i hope it was relaxing and wonderful!

the babies!!! if anyone can grow them, it's you!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Hopefully you get lotsa babies to live. Then you can start selling cool colors that other guys just can't get without charging an arm and a leg for.

You didn't miss much at Reef Smart BTW. Not a lot of people showed up and only one guy had any rock flowers for sale. A few variations of green ($25), White ($25), Red ($35), and a pink one ($140). Nothing too amazing. Didn't stop me from buying six (2 red, 2 white, 2 green) though. :blush:

Gee whiz. Too jacked up on the pink one. Yeah, the others are great prices though.

FlowerMama

your vacation pics make me so jealous. especially the fried food. my gluten-free taste buds are living vicariously through those photos!! and i so want to go to the beach now. i hope it was relaxing and wonderful!

the babies!!! if anyone can grow them, it's you!

Let's hope so on the babies. I found only 2 in the net today but I'm hoping it's just in the gravel somewhere.

I'm trying to go paleo again. In general, from Aug -Dec I was on a strict paleo diet and did wonderfully, then after that I gave in at Christmas to some Polish foods and my cravings started up again. Yest and today grocery list was just meat, veggies, fruits (including 2 mangoes as it was 5 for $5). Only bad thing I got was a Coconut Vanilla Creamer by So Delicious as it has cane syrup in it. I felt so refreshed and revived from my vaca that it inspired me to get on track again so I can have more energy and start up on my treadmill again so I can feel even better next year when I snorkel...and I find several places that do Snuba in Key Largo so I'll SOO be there.

beautiful vacation pics! looked so relaxing and fun.

It was. I didn't rush for anything. Next time though I'll stay in Key Largo and be closer to the water action.

I think we should all plan a "nano-reef-reefers" getaway!!

I always thought a Caribbean cruise would be ideal! :)

Then my basil and then behind it 4 watermelons.

20150606_151411_zpsr6xzgjkp.jpg

I'm going to have a garden this year after-all. One of the things I will plant is watermelon :wub:.
FlowerMama

Yey! I love seeing your garden. That is a patch up front in from of the duplex that I removed some lilies from that weren't growing anymore. I transplanted them to a different location. Hoping the watermelon grows. Think I'll get a couple cherry tomato plants tomorrow. More than regular tomatoes you get so many of those.

For watermelon I bought the ones called Sugar Babies. Love the name!

thecoralbeauty

Yey! I love seeing your garden. That is a patch up front in from of the duplex that I removed some lilies from that weren't growing anymore. I transplanted them to a different location. Hoping the watermelon grows. Think I'll get a couple cherry tomato plants tomorrow. More than regular tomatoes you get so many of those.

For watermelon I bought the ones called Sugar Babies. Love the name!

sugar babies are just that- small and sweet. only ones i've had success with yet in colorado!

Let's hope so on the babies. I found only 2 in the net today but I'm hoping it's just in the gravel somewhere.

I'm trying to go paleo again. In general, from Aug -Dec I was on a strict paleo diet and did wonderfully, then after that I gave in at Christmas to some Polish foods and my cravings started up again. Yest and today grocery list was just meat, veggies, fruits (including 2 mangoes as it was 5 for $5). Only bad thing I got was a Coconut Vanilla Creamer by So Delicious as it has cane syrup in it. I felt so refreshed and revived from my vaca that it inspired me to get on track again so I can have more energy and start up on my treadmill again so I can feel even better next year when I snorkel...and I find several places that do Snuba in Key Largo so I'll SOO be there.

It was. I didn't rush for anything. Next time though I'll stay in Key Largo and be closer to the water action.

about paleo- my mom has been doing that pretty strictly and lost a ton of weight. for me, a lot of it just my general energy level. I think i'm going to join her starting this week so I don't end up in an un-productive summer slump!

I always thought a Caribbean cruise would be ideal! :) I'm going to have a garden this year after-all. One of the things I will plant is watermelon :wub:.

I think a Caribbean cruise would be awesome - plus with cruises there is so much to do, it would be great for a group trip! Something for everyone - plus reefs and snorkeling!

Mr. Microscope

Hi there Annette! Here's the images/videos from that sample you sent me.

Dinos%20low%20mag_zpslr68ksah.jpg

From low magnification, you can see all sorts of things swimming around in the water. I saw everything from diatoms, to phytoplankton, to the plague itself..the dreaded...

dun, dun, DUNNNN

dino%2002_zpshjvaukie.jpg

DINOFLAGELATES!

Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!

I believe it's a strain of ostreopsis.

dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpg

dino%2003_zpso0goecjo.jpg

https://youtu.be/5GOAlPNyraQ

Here's some other fun pics from this sample.

I'm pretty sure this big pointy thing is a diatom.

diatom_zpsa7nbzlrf.jpg

Here's some phytoplankton:

phyto%2001_zpsonylusko.jpg

phyto%2002_zpsblbgw2rx.jpg

I believe this is another strain of phyto.

phyto%2003_zpsbfm33jrg.jpg

This was really neat. I filmed it moving around a little. You can see as it moves that it is a sphere. My focal plane started on top and I moved to the bottom:

jedimasterben

DINOFLAGELATES!

Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!

I believe it's a strain of ostreopsis.

dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpg

EDIT: Mr. Pants (dude that studies dinos) says it's a Prorocentrum sp. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/280413-mr-ms-microscopy-of-the-reef-flowermamas-dinos-303/?p=5047850

Still, though, unfortunately they were transferred to your other tanks. :(

Hi there Annette! Here's the images/videos from that sample you sent me.

This is the coolest thing ever, Mr. M!!!!! I will never look at diatoms the same way again LOL.
Mr. Microscope

EDIT: Mr. Pants (dude that studies dinos) says it's a Prorocentrum sp. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/280413-mr-ms-microscopy-of-the-reef-flowermamas-dinos-303/?p=5047850

Thanks Ben!

Yes, as Mr. Pants chimed in, we have a different diagnosis:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/280413-mr-ms-microscopy-of-the-reef-flowermamas-dinos-303/?p=5047850

This is the coolest thing ever, Mr. M!!!!! I will never look at diatoms the same way again LOL.

Thank you Gena! I agree. They sure form interesting structures.

That's exciting that you came back to baby rock flowers! I hope they make it. Can't wait to see what color they turn out to be as adult nems.

Looks like a fun vacation! Makes me miss Florida a bit. I need some tropical diving and beach time myself. Glad you had so much fun! Thanks for sharing the awesome photos.

Interestingly, I'm trying to be hopeful, I don't show signs of it in my 20 or 34g yet. Wouldn't it have showed up by now in those tanks? I moved the flowers out on 5/17?

1. Prorocentrales
  2. The Prorocentrales are a small order of dinoflagellates. They are distinguished by having their two flagella inserted apically, rather than ventrally as in other groups. Wikipedia
  3. Scientific name: Prorocentraceae
  4. Rank: Family
thecoralbeauty

Hi there Annette! Here's the images/videos from that sample you sent me.Dinos%20low%20mag_zpslr68ksah.jpgFrom low magnification, you can see all sorts of things swimming around in the water. I saw everything from diatoms, to phytoplankton, to the plague itself..the dreaded...dun, dun, DUNNNNdino%2002_zpshjvaukie.jpgDINOFLAGELATES!Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!https://youtu.be/kLKZUGEBYtoIbelieve it's a strain of ostreopsis. dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpgdino%2003_zpso0goecjo.jpghttps://youtu.be/5GOAlPNyraQHere's some other fun pics from this sample.I'm pretty sure this big pointy thing is a diatom.diatom_zpsa7nbzlrf.jpgHere's some phytoplankton:phyto%2001_zpsonylusko.jpgphyto%2002_zpsblbgw2rx.jpgI believe this is another strain of phyto.phyto%2003_zpsbfm33jrg.jpgThis was really neat. I filmed it moving around a little. You can see as it moves that it is a sphere. My focal plane started on top and I moved to the bottom:https://youtu.be/Bm6LMRpQrwk

SO COOL!

Nanofreak79

Sorry for all the tank troubles. Things are looking up. Mr. Microscope is dope, I loved the pics and video. crazy how differently it makes you think about stuff you scrape off your tank. lol

jedimasterben

Interestingly, I'm trying to be hopeful, I don't show signs of it in my 20 or 34g yet. Wouldn't it have showed up by now in those tanks?

Not necessarily immediately. Mine would regularly disappear for a few months and then come flaring back as never before. I'm slightly more hopeful now, but even after seeing nothing on the microscope for four months now (longer than I ever seen between flareups) I'm still not convinced that they're gone for good.

Not necessarily immediately. Mine would regularly disappear for a few months and then come flaring back as never before. I'm slightly more hopeful now, but even after seeing nothing on the microscope for four months now (longer than I ever seen between flareups) I'm still not convinced that they're gone for good.

Yeah, the flowers have been since 5/17 in the other tanks. Hope it doesn't return. Both those tanks have been established since Oct and Nov 2013 so hoping that and nitrates will help keep it at bay if someone else had said nitrates keep it at bay some.

At least I was right that it was dino, just a small version of it but no less weak of a species.

Is Annette's the same strain as yours, Ben? It must have came in with the RFAs then? Would dipping them in something like CoralRX kill off the dinos?
jedimasterben

Is Annette's the same strain as yours, Ben? It must have came in with the RFAs then? Would dipping them in something like CoralRX kill off the dinos?

Mine is a different genus, but they're extremely similar, just less toxic.

Corals and anemones harbor them inside of them (they are very similar to zooxanthellae, so corals take them in, figure out they are not symbionts, so they expel them later), but unfortunately there isn't a way to kill those without killing their host, even though it is temporary.

Mine is a different genus, but they're extremely similar, just less toxic.

Corals and anemones harbor them inside of them (they are very similar to zooxanthellae, so corals take them in, figure out they are not symbionts, so they expel them later), but unfortunately there isn't a way to kill those without killing their host, even though it is temporary.

Bummer :(. I wonder if you could do a tank swap? Not sure how often they expel the dinos but maybe every few hours switch them to clean saltwater kinda like the tank swap method for curing ich? But wow...that'd be a PITA.
jedimasterben

Bummer :(. I wonder if you could do a tank swap? Not sure how often they expel the dinos but maybe every few hours switch them to clean saltwater kinda like the tank swap method for curing ich? But wow...that'd be a PITA.

No, it's not really based on time, they're constantly taking in and expelling. :(

SquishyFishy

Annette: what was your solution to the cyano? Mine is bustin out all over. All my tests except Phosphates have been perfect. I scrub the rock every couple days and change floss too to try to strain it out. But its back with a vengeance in a couple days.

Jedi I know you've had the battle before....what did you do.

My substrate is aragonite gravel. And lately the GHA is attacking that as well. Oh, and I'm running phosban in the media basket.

SquishyFishy

Here is what is on the discussion:

This type of bacteria thrives in water that is high in nitrates and phosphates. Unfortunately, it is usually a sign of excess nutrients in the water. But don't take that too personally as a sign of poor water husbandry. Frequently, it can start when there is an undiscovered death of an animal or organism that is in your tank. However, it is more commonly related to excess nutrients. Many claim that 'low flow' is a cause, however, there is no proven evidence that this is the case. So, possible causes include:
--overfeeding
--undiscovered death of a tank inhabitant
--excess phosphates (using water or topoff that is high in phosphates)
--poor water maintenance, ie, poor nutrient export

I only feed fish once a day, I think much less than most on here

So far, nobody died

Phosphates may be it but I buy all my top off and tank water from the lfs

I have a Hydor Nano for circulation along with the main pump outlet

I dose with 2 part so thats why the other tests are perfect (I think)

And even the picillopora is doing well.

Pinner Reef

Ok I'll add the following on the subject of Dinos. I took the last 5 corals and one hermit I had left then dropped them in a bucket of fresh SW when I was breaking down the tank. They are all recovering nicely and have not relapsed into a dino bloom. That was two weeks ago. I dunno what the difference is... Soo yeah, pretty useless post here.

Archived