ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

Yes but during this awful time w/ dino I only fed the tank once around 3/15 and then a week ago.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

So, here's the latest after I goofed yest morning. I put too much lyme in there yest morning and while I had the pH at 8.3, it rose to past 8.6 on the Salifert Scale; the water read navy blue pretty much and turquoise is 8.6 . So, milky cloudy water mess. So, the red star, touched it and it was hardening so I threw it in Gertie's tank. It was dark yet, Gertie greeted her and whacked her. Took her out and put her in Bare Bottom Baby and she started moving so she was either malnourished or the pH was really doing a number on her.

So, all but 2 rocks are still in the 60. For fear or the hike in pH I took them out and put them in the 34, carefully as not touch things around them. Now I have left the nems on the sand still. I don't know if I just brought dino into my 34 or not but I'd rather save the nems. So at this stage I have like 1/3 of the nems on the sand and I'll be removing them tomorrow. I was able w/ water changes to bring it back to like 8.4 but at this point I'm feeling there's no point in putting the other nems back in. Tomorrow or Tues I should be getting a replacement fixture for the Coral Compulsion par38 I bought from a local reefer. I'll put that over Gerts tank and remove the others from the sand into Gerts tank.

Then I can remove the sand, while keeping the tank dark and do water changes to hopefully get rid of the dino. It would be great if I could get the sand out and then remove the white film from the lyme- it's so white in there right now. It'll involve some cleaning for sure.

I would keep in mind that adding kalkwasser will also raise both calcium and alkalinity, and while the rock flowers and softies in the tank will use very little calcium and carbonate, you will still need to keep an eye on them to get them at reasonable levels, it is very easy to raise them and not notice how high they are (ask me how I know :/ ). The precipitate you're seeing now are the impurities in the powder, which consist mostly of magnesium hydroxide, strontium carbonate, and also a small amount of calcium carbonate, which are insouble and will need to be manually removed. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/12/chemistry#section-6

Also, be aware that if your tank is indeed plagued with dinoflagellates, you've now transferred them to your other tank. :/

FlowerMama

Yep, I'd already thought about that. I prefer to save the flowers than my 34g in the end but I had to help them somehow. I'm sending out my sample to Mr. Microscope Sat to confirm.

My tiny reef

Wow, sorry you a dealing with more issues in the tank! But how gorgeous do they look all snuggled up side by side!

Oh man! I would have done the same though...saving the anemones is what matters. They sure do look pretty all bunched together :happy:.

FlowerMama

Well, it is what it is. To save them I put them in the other tanks. If it is dino and I just spread it I guess it wouldn't hurt to turn off the lights in this and Gertie's tank for several days. Gertie has 17 more nems in her tank than she bargained for, and a curlique anemone. The harlequin star went into the fuge of the 34. There may be one tiny nem in the big tank that I can't see, it was like dime size.

20150518_195933_zpsgemid9kw.jpg

20150518_193733_zps9kud2epx.jpg

So, the worst that can happen is that I end up having to tear down these tanks if I can't get rid of that dino but these are both stronger tanks biologically than the downstairs. In the end, if they have to also be torn down then they'll go up as tanks to house baby nems hopefully. Yeah, certainly not happy about the turn of events but you do what you got to do. Long live the NEMS!!!! ;):wub::D .

I did see Gert walking around the bright yellow nem. She touched then retracted. I don't even know if she knows what they are considering she was so tiny at .5" when I found her. Now she has some more to explore.

Oh man! I would have done the same though...saving the anemones is what matters. They sure do look pretty all bunched together :happy:.

Yep, when you add together the cost of the nems with the tank downstairs, you bet I have to save it!!!

FlowerMama

So, lost 2 nems so far, an evergreen and white, then one of my favorites, peachy. Hoping to replace her.

I'm sending out the sample tomorrow to Mr. Microscope for confirmation- thank you so much, again.

Yeah, I think I'll be able to get enough for the sample! :o:rolleyes::blink: Here's what it looks like tonight. It actually got worse AFTER I took them out. Crazy ass $hit! I'll be starting over when I get back from my vacation. I leave next Thurs and until then I have sand and water to remove. I'll remove the rock I had in the fuge and put it on my porch to bake. Then I'm cleaning the tank w/ a sponge and vinegar and water. It'll be left empty for anything else left to die. I'll work on getting it going when I get back.

20150522_204013_zpsvyfw7fd7.jpg

20150522_204030_zpsomv5hhtu.jpg

FlowerMama

Holy moly...that is nasty. The RFAs made it look so much prettier. Hope you get that wiped out for good!!!! :)

I've never seen something grow like this w/ such a lack of nutrients in the water. So, I'm contemplating either a) removing the skimmer completely and putting carbon instead or B) just having it for aeration. I will though NOT being using the pond matrix or Seachem De-nitrate in the middle section of my fuge below the fuge rock.

FlowerMama

kill it with fire!!

poor nems. They're lucky they have such an attentive momma!

I'm hoping that by removing all the sand this evening, and by taking the fuge rock out and letting it bake in the sun for week, and taking out all the water, and by razor scraping calcium deposits and the glass, and the cleaning w/ vinegar water, and then through the cycling process, that It will not be around anymore.

Would it be beneficial for me to have a strong dose of vinegar water going through the piping? Just let it do that for several days. Cuz I wonder about the tubing and it probably would be a good way to clean the pump, etc. I've never had to clean up after a dino mess before.

I guess if it comes back I'll have to raise nitrates.

the cyanodinodamnits are really... wow. That is so out of control. Good luck.

Thanks. I feel I need it. Feel I need something to give in.

I did tell everyone I'd keep you all updated on this tank as I'm one of the few out there with so many rfas. Oh, found a damn little snail downstairs so as bad as the water got w/ high ph and dino and cyano it was still kicking.

FlowerMama

Here's a nice pic though of some flowers moved to my 34.

20150522_193033_zpsnr4qsuzb.jpg

And found out last night I had a new female. The yellow white to the right of the white one (which is also female) I saw a baby pellet size rfa sitting on the skirt of nem, I watched more closely and another one was coming so I grabbed a larger pipette I used for nudibranch collection and put it up to her mouth and gently pressed and like 20 babies fell into it. Since that tank is so completely full I emptied them into my Evolve 8 tank where they fell to the left side back where there's a little sand leftover. Almost no current once you get back there so I'm hoping that between what still fell into the 34 and in the Evolve 8 that I'll have a baby or two.

20150517_170013_zpstu9ihy1q.jpg

FlowerMama

Don't know what it is but I'm going out of town next Thurs morning so probably not as I won't return until next Tues.

So, lost 2 nems so far, an evergreen and white, then one of my favorites, peachy. Hoping to replace her.

20150522_204013_zpsvyfw7fd7.jpg

20150522_204030_zpsomv5hhtu.jpg

That looks alot like the stuff I have left to deal with, Interested in finding out what exactly that stuff is and how to finish it for good. I recently added and AC70 to my tank running a nitrate filter with the included carbon and pellet bag (left the sponge out), not seeming to help, but its not any worse yet, either. My new snails are eating it here and there, but I don't think I have enough to get rid of it completely, but I'm willing to wait and watch the progression for now.

FlowerMama

Oh, it'll go away as tonight I'm siphoning out the sand, putting the fuge rock on the porch to bake, emptying the fuge water. Then will clean the tank w/ vinegar/water, maybe even run vinegar water through the whole dang thing to help the piping as well and clean out the pump. Guess it would be good to leave it like that while I'm on vaca. It will be a restart when I come back from vaca. I've dealt w/ this for over 2 mos. I lost 2 nems. I'm done. I'll certainly let everyone know. Water changes and no water changes didn't make a dent. Chemiclean removed some purple cyano but didn't touch this brown red crap.

FlowerMama

Good luck on the restart! Hoping to see that beautiful shallow RFA garden again soon :D

Yes, me too and I'll surely let everyone know what the results were. I'll have a couple videos up here in min of the rfs in holding in my 34. The others are in my 20 w/ Gertie and she made herself a home in one of the rocks and boarded up the window really good so she must be molting.

Archived