Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Do we know anything about the genetics of the RFA's? Are the color morphs dominant, recessive, etc? Or is random?

we know absolutely nothing

04f.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows what's recessive or dominant really until you start making babies. I do know that there seems to be tons of red, tons of green. God knows I'm waiting for a Royal blue w/ Sky Blue accents or a Royal Purple w/ lavender. It can happen, right? I mean the ocean does have blue zoas and blue gorgonians so c'mon, make it happen and morph!!!

The only thing I know for sure is that VIP has told me it's absolutely incredible. They dive and they're constantly seeing them morph in color and patterns in the same areas.

what will you do with so many babies? May i have some Flowermama hahaha (:

I'll first try to sell locally to our group that just began late Nov. They don't sell them anywhere in a 2hr radius really. 3 lfs here don't ever have any, nor do they buy any.

I'd like to start a Facebook page and sell them via PayPal or cash.

The thought of shipping them scares me. I wouldn't sell any til they were an inch big.

Your contribution to their aqua-cultured propagation would be huge deal to them in the wild and us in the hobby. I hope you get a decent return on your investment. I'd love to know about cross boarder shipping, because I'd probably buy your babies.

I have to make them first!!! :( I wouldn't even know what to charge being first generation tank bred and not pulled from the ocean. There's a lot to think about but just all a little dream to pay back this tank cost first.

Your contribution to their aqua-cultured propagation would be huge deal to them in the wild and us in the hobby. I hope you get a decent return on your investment. I'd love to know about cross boarder shipping, because I'd probably buy your babies.

+1

I have to make them first!!! :( I wouldn't even know what to charge being first generation tank bred and not pulled from the ocean. There's a lot to think about but just all a little dream to pay back this tank cost first.

You're on the right track IMO. You will have to see how long it takes you to reproduce them, how many you produce vs how many you have breeding, supply and demand, morph rarity, etc.

Meanwhile you get to enjoy these awesome creatures and possibly discover things that are yet unknown about them.

Who knows what's recessive or dominant really until you start making babies. I do know that there seems to be tons of red, tons of green. God knows I'm waiting for a Royal blue w/ Sky Blue accents or a Royal Purple w/ lavender. It can happen, right? I mean the ocean does have blue zoas and blue gorgonians so c'mon, make it happen and morph!!!

The only thing I know for sure is that VIP has told me it's absolutely incredible. They dive and they're constantly seeing them morph in color and patterns in the same areas.

Mendel crossed hundreds of plants before he started to understand what's going on lol, so I'm sure we're a long ways awa from understanding these guys.

I'll first try to sell locally to our group that just began late Nov. They don't sell them anywhere in a 2hr radius really. 3 lfs here don't ever have any, nor do they buy any.

The thought of shipping them scares me. I wouldn't sell any til they were an inch big.

The adult RFAs seem to be pretty hardy when it comes to shipping if the temps aren't extreme. If the babies are healthy I'd expect them to be similarly hardy

I mean, you could always just charge what you feel they're worth, and then if you want you could adjust the price according to demand.

And, you know, if you wanted to give some away to me I'm sure everyone would be fine with that ;) haha

the fact you are trying and learning how to get it to work is what is important and valuable. You have gone through hell and back with this lot this past while. But at the same time we are learning what these little guys can take and hopefully when the dust settles you can fulfil your dream. We are pulling for you - no pressure intended.

I know I'm learning a great deal and hopefully contributing to our knowledge.

Rock flowers can handle 4 successive treatments of Chemiclean.

Rock flowers can handle lights off for 5 days while doing those treatments, then on for 2 then off again.

Rock flowers can handle not being fed for a month.

Rock flowers can still spawn after not being fed a month.

Rock flowers can handle pH 8.3-8.6 during this time.

I really do appreciate the support from this addicted lot!!! It hurt when the 20 died, and then when I found that one lone pretty orange one w/ the white fringe I felt hopeful, and then it disappeared.

I felt like I failed them and the parents, and that's one of the moments I ordered from VIP again to feel better. And that successive week as well.

I just want to see them grow. Just finished a 6 g water change when I siphoned out some more sand. I'll try to get a tank pic and/or video tomorrow. Lights on for only 1/4 of the day today. I'll go back to regular lighting tomorrow.

I want it to look as healthy as my 34g one day.

Hoping here very soon to be able to put these 8 in the tank very soon.

20150416_203940_zpskq3nwoxa.jpg

!!! I don't know if it's the same one I haven't seen for 2 mos or a new one but I don't care. I'm leaving it alone. I'm not touching it, not feeding it.

20150419_150014_zpson1cmnct.jpg

I know I'm learning a great deal and hopefully contributing to our knowledge.

Rock flowers can handle 4 successive treatments of Chemiclean.

Rock flowers can handle lights off for 5 days while doing those treatments, then on for 2 then off again.

Rock flowers can handle not being fed for a month.

Rock flowers can still spawn after not being fed a month.

Rock flowers can handle pH 8.3-8.6 during this time.

I felt like I failed them and the parents, and that's one of the moments I ordered from VIP again to feel better. And that successive week as well.

You haven't failed them. Somewhere in the great ocean where all aquatics go, they'll understand what is at work. Just imagine though, if you get somethat survive, they will be very hardy because they were grown in a tank. These will become ideal for the trade. It is people like you who help the hobby along.

And look at that... a baby :3 We have a Keeper here for sure!!

aww :wub:

Looks like a keeper :)

My eyes actually watered when I saw it. Truly.

You haven't failed them. Somewhere in the great ocean where all aquatics go, they'll understand what is at work. Just imagine though, if you get somethat survive, they will be very hardy because they were grown in a tank. These will become ideal for the trade. It is people like you who help the hobby along.

And look at that... a baby :3 We have a Keeper here for sure!!

Yeah, she is certainly a keeper. I hope I'm helping others.

Today was an excellent day!!!. Went downstairs at 11:45, had a hunch to go look for some reason. I noticed it looked cloudy so I turned on the light, granted it's been looking cloudy anyway with increasing the pH. One nem yet unidentified as male or female was spawning.

Most of my spawnings are either 2 or 3 days before a full moon or around a quarter moon. Remember I had 4 spawning 3 days ago on the 16th. New moon is the 18th, so ok, guess they're spawning whenever.

I am interested in seeing what your records show for spawnigns.. this is so exciting. I just looked at mine, but I did a waterchange only. I only have one RF though...

I will gladly buy some babies from you once they are ready loving this rock flower anenomes. (: Just let me know FlowerMama

Mr. Microscope

So much to be proud of with this tank. Congrats on the recent spawning event. How are you doing lunar cycles (with lighting I mean)?

My larger orange one spawned last night as well! Funny in that the tank's as far removed from normal daylight cycle as possible (2pm - 11pm).

I wonder if the ones that have their mouths open (like jball1125 observed) during this are females, or just plain catching a free meal? If the former then I have at least one. Trying to see if the Atlanta reef club can entice the folks at VIP to make an appearance at our upcoming expo... then the pretties will be mine, all mine... ;)

Nice! Interesting to see all the other nems with open mouths while this one is spawning.

Yeah, Still only know of 4-5 males in my tank and 2 females. I have to pay more attention in those 3 hrs I'm home but I feel most of the spawning male or female is happening at night- it would make sense for the babies to not crawl out into bright lights. Males spawning. well, they can do it anytime!!!!

I am interested in seeing what your records show for spawnigns.. this is so exciting. I just looked at mine, but I did a waterchange only. I only have one RF though...

My spawning seem to be 2-3 days before a full moon, once around new moon, another at quarter moon so kinda all over.

I will gladly buy some babies from you once they are ready loving this rock flower anenomes. (: Just let me know FlowerMama

I'll just have to see where this goes. At least you know the babies came from strong @ss parents. If I feel comfortable later, I'll do it.

So much to be proud of with this tank. Congrats on the recent spawning event. How are you doing lunar cycles (with lighting I mean)?

I'm not doing anything, have it ramp up, ramp down. I don't have any fancy controller that mimics what its doing in Miami much less the moon cycles. Honestly, I think nature just knows what its doing.

I know there's the recent article in which the writer mentioned it's been at 7pm when his spawn but depends on lighting cycle I'd say. I'm in NC and I have my lights on from like 12-8 or 9 so I can come home and see them. Someone else may be doing it 8am-6p so the time at which they're spawning I think could be relative to your tank.

Certainly though in the 2 cases when I saw babies, it was 3 mos after the males spawned.

My larger orange one spawned last night as well! Funny in that the tank's as far removed from normal daylight cycle as possible (2pm - 11pm).

I wonder if the ones that have their mouths open (like jball1125 observed) during this are females, or just plain catching a free meal? If the former then I have at least one. Trying to see if the Atlanta reef club can entice the folks at VIP to make an appearance at our upcoming expo... then the pretties will be mine, all mine... ;)

Maybe this is proof that we can all have different light cycles but they'll still spawn at the same time. What time was it? I had some spawn on the 16th but nothing like this one. I'm sure we'll always miss some. Which I'm sure I have but I'll need to take pics of the ones for sure I know are male and female but guess it doesn't matter really anyway.

Current state of affairs. Tomorrow is another sand cleaning to be on schedule.

003_zpszjenuov6.jpg

002_zpspotdkjen.jpg

001_zpsmp0yvbaa.jpg

And the new baby.

20150420_191404_zpsem3ey2wa.jpg

And a rock nem that is making a comeback. The curlique anemone is on the other side of this rock and it stung her pretty badly. She's one of those pink & dark turquoise.

20150420_191312_zpsgt2hupbd.jpg

Sure looks much better from this on 3/17.

20150316_180737_zpsta4dq8ho.jpg

My tiny reef

Looking very good! Wish I had that many flower nems, I'm loving mine more everyday and today one of mine loved me back ❤️

image_9.jpg

Archived