ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

5 days of no light and here's the status of the tank. And I came home to the Microbacter7 in the mailbox. Will start that after dinner.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my only care is to beat it, for sure. I'm putting the blue 100% tomorrow and only have whites go from 10% to 30% at their highest to slowly ease back in with the lights.

Boy Annette, I haven't been reading your thread for a while and just read about your Cyano/Dino problem. I'm very sorry to hear about it because i know it can be very frustrating to have issues like this with our tanks when they have been doing so well with happy inhabitants, etc.

Sounds like your doing everything you can in a logical sequence and i know you and your tank will beat this. It has to because it's the loving home to so many beautiful Nems.

Wish you the best: Forrest

Boy Annette, I haven't been reading your thread for a while and just read about your Cyano/Dino problem. I'm very sorry to hear about it because i know it can be very frustrating to have issues like this with our tanks when they have been doing so well with happy inhabitants, etc.

Sounds like your doing everything you can in a logical sequence and i know you and your tank will beat this. It has to because it's the loving home to so many beautiful Nems.

Wish you the best: Forrest

Thanks Forrest. I'm trying to be patient. I turned the lights on low after 5 days of none, with blues at 100% and then whites at 10% for one hr, then 20% then for another going up to 30% for the majority of the day then back to 20% & 10%. I came home to this. So now it looks like cyano again, but I beileve I still have cyadinodamnitall.

20150404_172525_zpsvnux8ta0.jpg

Thanks Forrest. I'm trying to be patient. I turned the lights on low after 5 days of none, with blues at 100% and then whites at 10% for one hr, then 20% then for another going up to 30% for the majority of the day then back to 20% & 10%. I came home to this. So now it looks like cyano again, but I beileve I still have cyadinodamnitall.

20150404_172525_zpsvnux8ta0.jpg

CYADINODAMNITALL...A new strain of Marine Aquaria Plague discovered in 2015 by Reefer Hobbyist FlowerMama.

CYADINODAMNITALL...Control method developed in April 2015 by same.

Pinner Reef

Flower Mama, you've made more progress than I. I syphoned out my sand today... My tank no longer looks like my own. :unsure:

Watch for an update tomorrow eve. Did you ask your LFS about Dinos? Talk about an exercise in futility. :rolleyes:

I would definatly send out a sample, It's as easy as shipping coral. If Jedi is busy I'll take a look at them. Did you see his ID link?

CYADINODAMNITALL...A new strain of Marine Aquaria Plague discovered in 2015 by Reefer Hobbyist FlowerMama.

CYADINODAMNITALL...Control method developed in April 2015 by same.

I hope I figure it out!!!

Flower Mama, you've made more progress than I. I syphoned out my sand today... My tank no longer looks like my own. :unsure:

Watch for an update tomorrow eve. Did you ask your LFS about Dinos? Talk about an exercise in futility. :rolleyes:

I would definatly send out a sample, It's as easy as shipping coral. If Jedi is busy I'll take a look at them. Did you see his ID link?

My lfs here know nothing about it. But I'm putting in some more seachem matrix bio-media tomorrow. I also warmed up some water today and I'm siphoning some out tomorrow after work. I was out all day at my parents home from 1:30-11 so I never had a chance to look at anything today.

Ugh....I hope the microbacter helps!!!! fingerscrossed

yeh, going to put in another dose now. Thank you for reminding me.

Good luck here. I am rooting for you and your beauties.

aaaw thanks. I appreciate it. Day 2 of lights on, though low and they look even better today. I'm gonna siphon the sand tomorrow where I clearly see it

Sorry for your troubles :( The flowers still look beautiful among the yucky. You can beat it, don't give up!

Thanks, didn't get to siphoning after work, forgot to turn on the water heater in the Brute.

But, I'm still hopeful that that without feedings here, the algaes/bacterias will starve off. I'm not giving up but I will be siphoning tomorrow. I can't wait til the weekend because Fri night onward I'm on-call for work so won't be able to get involved in that.

IF I can't get rid of it though, and IF I see it detrimental to the flowers, my next thought is take all the sand out and replace w/ black aquarium gravel. I'll only feed once a month so detritus won't be bad and just like in a freshwater tank I can siphon the gravel really well. I would think all my critters would still be happy and yet the babies would more quickly be able to suction to it. Question, though, would it release silicates? I want the more premium black gravel that doesn't scratch off like paint, you know the stuff I'm talking about. Thought is this though, that I can't guarantee that it would be out of the rocks themselves so it could potentially keep going!?

It is a 60g so I don't want to flip it over, I'd have no where anyway to house the flowers while doing that. We'll see if I can first battle this and in the end, if not, last resort would be black gravel I think. It would look great, nice dark backdrop and the flowers would stick to it right away.

Update time on the CYADINODAMNITALL. I've been slowly bringing up the pH. It's finally at 3.6 today. After the video I sucked up the sand. Rearranged the flow so it wasn't bare in that spot.

20150408_182818_zpsa7imkjty.jpg

AND found out my dog's bacteria hasn't gone away, was resistant to 2 antibiotics they tried for his bladder infection because it was a resistant form of E Coli. I'm just thrilled. If left unchecked it could kill his kidneys. Another word for it is salmonella so yeah, he licks me, I need to wash right away.

20150408_193853_zpshoubqzs1.jpg

Wow when it rains it pours huh.

Hoping for the best with the tank and the pup. Salmonella is spread through feces and oral contact so be mindful of that. I know it's hard to keep them from licking you but try to keep your face at a safe distance and wash your hands often.

If you do decide to remove all the sand. I would leave it bare bottom for a while. Do one more treatment for the bacteria in a few weeks and then add the black gravel.

VIP had an awesome RFA display with black gravel. Looked way better than the white gravel, the color pop off the black gravel was great.

Yeah, definitely have already been washing my hands since I was told at 8pm by the vet and will make sure to not let him lick my face either. No idea how he got it. Thanks for the support.

Yeah, I'm just gonna see here what happens. I took out 4g of water/sand. So hopefully the 4g that I put back won't replenish nutrients too bad. I've had no feedings for the tank. Since they had light for several days I'm thinking of nixing the light the next 2.

Yeah, definitely have already been washing my hands since I was told at 8pm by the vet and will make sure to not let him lick my face either. No idea how he got it. Thanks for the support.

Yeah, I'm just gonna see here what happens. I took out 4g of water/sand. So hopefully the 4g that I put back won't replenish nutrients too bad. I've had no feedings for the tank. Since they had light for several days I'm thinking of nixing the light the next 2.

Do you walk him? If so probably from another animals feces but really could have come from a number of different things. If you feed him wet canned foods make sure there wasnt a recall or you might be feeding it to him.

Do you walk him? If so probably from another animals feces but really could have come from a number of different things. If you feed him wet canned foods make sure there wasnt a recall or you might be feeding it to him.

Yeah, I do walk him and he licks his paws after each walk so very possible right there.

Wow, catching up with your thread and you've been through the wringer! Sorry about the trouble you have been having. I hope it gets squared away soon!

Is 3.6 pH a typo???? :o

I'm definitely seeing improvement!

And I'm freaking out about your dog. I didn't even know that was a possibility when I read about it on FB this morning. Poor little guy.

Is 3.6 pH a typo???? :o

I'm definitely seeing improvement!

And I'm freaking out about your dog. I didn't even know that was a possibility when I read about it on FB this morning. Poor little guy.

ha! didn't catch that. 8.6 is more like it.

Oh, and the pooch, when the dr told me it was common in dogs, I spoke to her today, this one's inherent in dogs, can't be transmitted to people. That's fantastic news to my ears.

Poor pup! I hope he gets better soon!!

Started the correct antibiotic today so I'm hoping it goes away with this treatment. 10 days.

Wow, catching up with your thread and you've been through the wringer! Sorry about the trouble you have been having. I hope it gets squared away soon!

Thanks, me too. I don't even want to check today. I'm giving my eyes a break and I'd rather have a beer or cider as a coping mechanism right now. It's warm in here, 78 (we just ran upon two 80 degree days) and w/ bedroom window open and back door open it still became warm.

Archived