Pod Your Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Yes, I have live rock in the sump. My last water change I took the rock out and took the water out of that section and the one in the skimmer section. The cyano looked better after I added a 2nd pump, then fed the water column w/ mysis and LRS in the blender w/ tank water, and apparently put too much, next day, vibrant bloom. I was overjoyed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have cyano issues too. Today I took a plastic fork and "raked" as much as I could off of the sand.

I had been blowing it off, but BF said that would make it spread.

It's ugly and I hate it!!

i have red cyano in one tank and green cyano in the other. have to blow them off the rock and sand daily to keep it under control. it's crazy how fast they grow / spread.

Ok, so let's all empathize together and share some pics like PinnerReef did!!!

I have cyano issues too. Today I took a plastic fork and "raked" as much as I could off of the sand.

I had been blowing it off, but BF said that would make it spread.

It's ugly and I hate it!!

You know, I have no idea if it spreads that way. Like I don't know if it would help for me to rough up the sand and get it into the water column for the medication to work better or if it's make no difference at all. But, I know that I'm not good at all at siphoning w/ kink in the hose at all. That has never worked for me. BUT, please do share a picture of your non-beauty as well!!!!

Ok, so let's all empathize together and share some pics like PinnerReef did!!!

You know, I have no idea if it spreads that way. Like I don't know if it would help for me to rough up the sand and get it into the water column for the medication to work better or if it's make no difference at all. But, I know that I'm not good at all at siphoning w/ kink in the hose at all. That has never worked for me. BUT, please do share a picture of your non-beauty as well!!!!

I tried to siphon it out during a water change but it would just sink back down with the sand. So then I started stirring it up, breaking it up, and hoping it would get sucked into the filter floss!

Raking the cyano off the sand with a fork worked really well. I'll snap a pic during lights on tomorrow to see how much has grown back!

The last time I had it, it was almost like I could roll it up, but not this time.

I also did that hoping my skimmer would pick it up but I'm not trying to use the skimmer much but once a month for like a night as I don't want to suck up any nem spawn.

I probably shouldn't post this cause it's not bad AT ALL anymore, but here's my cyano issue...

16662507560_3a768f8777.jpgWP_20150317_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Raking it up with a small fork worked way better than I thought it would. There's only a little left in the corner by the acan and under the duncan. What's left is only about 20% of what was on the sand on that whole side yesterday!

I probably shouldn't post this cause it's not bad AT ALL anymore, but here's my cyano issue...

16662507560_3a768f8777.jpgWP_20150317_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Raking it up with a small fork worked way better than I thought it would. There's only a little left in the corner by the acan and under the duncan. What's left is only about 20% of what was on the sand on that whole side yesterday!

Yours must be on the way out then. I think it looks great. And....very pretty. I love your sprinkling of gorgonians.

The only sprinkling I did was adding the Chemiclean today into a some cups of saltwater and dispersing it into the tank at 8:30 or so. 48 hrs, we'll see. Praying, hoping. And after that a 20-30% water change and we'll see if I have to do it again. I'll put up an update of course on my thread.

It looks like diatoms. I had same problem too with both diatoms and green algae. I got a small media reactor with some phosphate and nitrate reducing media. Also test your water for changes - make sure it is ro water with 0 silicates- I found out this was my main culprit because water I was getting at the local lfs was not good when tested with tds meter. I had to buy a ro unit myself to get good water. Also reduce feeding for a bit and siphon off as much as you can when you do water changes.

With diatoms - could be from silica not only coming from the water but gravel - added any new gravel lately?

I use the same water in all 4 tanks and only this one has the issue. I did add some crushed gravel but that was after the first 2 breakouts in Sept and Dec.

Not the best video but it's better than nothing. The nems I got yesterday. Then a picture of the folded one.

20150317_221419_zpscql6geom.jpg

20150318_185934_zps1zecbjgk.jpg

20150318_185954_zpsvqvd1g6p.jpg

20150318_185940_zpskm8bvavn.jpg

20150317_221414_zpsj0kp7aa9.jpg

Chemiclean works great with no ill side effects....So dont worry. I was skeptical until I tried it myself and must say it work exactly as advertised.

Chemiclean works great with no ill side effects....So dont worry. I was skeptical until I tried it myself and must say it work exactly as advertised.

Thanks, was it just one application for you? And did you rough up the sand before doing it so it'd be in the water column or did you just keep it untouched?

Thanks, was it just one application for you? And did you rough up the sand before doing it so it'd be in the water column or did you just keep it untouched?

Yes just one application I didnt have a ton at the time. I siphoned out as much as possible beforehand(mine was only on the sandbed)

Although I will tell you the key to keep it from returning is bacterial diversity. I recommend dosing zeobak with coral snow once to twice a week.

Yes just one application I didnt have a ton at the time. I siphoned out as much as possible beforehand(mine was only on the sandbed)

Although I will tell you the key to keep it from returning is bacterial diversity. I recommend dosing zeobak with coral snow once to twice a week.

I'll have to look into that. thank you. Mine was sandbed too.

yep, and then for me it turns orange then red....

How does a tank have a lack of diverse bacteria?. What causes that Rehype?

Here's my cyano sandbed 3 days after a water change....sigh. I have chemiclean but really trying not to use it. But if it works well for you, I may just use it in both my tanks =).

16858928285_05ddb6cb2a.jpg

ooooh, love the cool blue in your nem. You also have a star spangled nem. Yep, had that green and then it turned orange/red then all hell broke loose. I will definitely put up an after pic.

How does a tank have a lack of diverse bacteria?. What causes that Rehype?

Well that bit of a loaded question but if you have the time and patience to read through this entire article from Advanced Aquarist I promise it will blow your mind....

Well that bit of a loaded question but if you have the time and patience to read through this entire article from Advanced Aquarist I promise it will blow your mind....

Guess I ask because I was not doing water changes weekly, I was getting like one in every month and then the skimmer was only on one day a month, I have no carbon, no filter floss, no reactor going, so I don't know how I lost any bacteria. I'll check it out. Thanks.

48 hrs ago. Not excited yet.

20150316_180737_zpsta4dq8ho.jpg

now. The darker purple seems to have left but that burgandy has increased. Time to a do 25% water change. This time I've mixed up the sand to get it into the water column not only for my water change but also hoping that suspended in the column the next batch of medicine tonight will work better.

20150319_190432_zpskqj4hibr.jpg

Ha! so the Polish is coming out in me again. The directions on the Chemiclean say to turn off UV Sterilizers, Ozonizers, remove Chemipure or carbon- I have none of those. Then there's a crease in the packaging. Says to leave the skimmer ON!!!. So I just turned it on. I did a 20% water change last night after roughing up the sand bed to get it into the water column and added the medicine. Came home and turned the skimmer on. It DID say heavy aeration. I GOT that now. :P

Cyano doing better. Tonight will be 48 hrs, again, and it is half gone. I'm going to see if it clears more by morning anyway since I won't be doing a water change at night. I can do one tomorrow at 6 or so in the evening. I kicked up the circulation pumps even more.

I really need to do a water change on my 34 gallon today and then I'm drip acclimating my maxima clam from my Evolve8 over to my 34. One of the blues left the Ledtric Par 38 and I worry she's not getting enough nutrients in that tank and she's been opening/closing more often. Am nervous about the move still. And I need to find a taller container to put her rock in for that. I may be able to use a pitcher that I use for dumping RO.

Oh, and in my frustration at an all time high with everything I bought 3 more nems. After that I can have 4 more and I'm calling it quits (unless I sell a couple to our local group that look similar, we get together for the first time ever the last week of the month). So with that purchase I'll have 46 in this tank. It will be hard not to buy but I need room in that tank to hopefully house future growing babies once I'm done w/ this issue. I did rearrange and put another rock from my fuge into the display and put some rocks in the center so it's just not rocks on the perimeter. The 3 newest will be set on it.

DSC_0003_150__30031.1426881450.1280.1280

DSC_0009_120__72399.1426881744.1280.1280

DSC_0012_120__79835.1426881925.1280.1280

Archived