inTank Media Baskets

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

If I were you I'd bust out the powdered/powderable food, mix up some in a shotglass, cut the pumps & baste the spots via pipette where the bulk of your baby nems have settled. One veeeeery light pass to elicit a feeding response and then a few minutes later a second more generous one to get food stuck to their oral disc.

Far less upsetting to the tank's chemistry (a little food goes a long way in this manner) and gets the bulk of the food where it needs to be.

They're everywhere in the tank but I can try to see what I can do w/ a pipette. If they were grouped together that would be good though. I do turn off the pumps.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then what about nudging them into closer groups... is the substrate coarse enough to allow you to do so with some quality time & a teaspoon? You may also want to do something like I did over in my anemone rescue thread & fashion a hanging tray that you can spread them out in to prevent burying by clean-up crew and to make dusting them with food easier. Well, given your other efforts it'd likely turn out to be something more attractive than hacked up tupperware, I guess. ;)

I'm reading along with interest - by the time all's said and done I'll likely have three rock flowers in my tank... so there's a respectable chance of having both genders present. Couple that with no skimmer & I could be dealing with bebeh nem concerns at some point, too (albeit on a smaller scale).

Since that male has sired dozens of offspring, you've got a whole new line of RFAs to attach a pedigree to. You should give him a proper breeding name like people do with horses - Sir Kensington Fireface or something.

And congrats, this is amazing.

This much I know. White is female. Maroon w/ what used to look like a green N is male. So maroon and white combo or whatever's more dominant.

021_zpsf66b6b51.jpg

jedimasterben

You should give him a proper breeding name like people do with horses - Sir Kensington Fireface or something.

:lol:

Or Sir Frederick von Fluffybottom

Naming, that is a cool idea! In the wild they get run over by things too so I'm just going to let nature run its course. Let the strongest survive to hopefully breed.

Well, 1st time for everything. Major screw up on my part. Fed yesterday and forgot to turn the pump on, wanted to give it a few hrs before turning it on. FORGOT! Came home and just checked, water was 68 in the display. Everything looks a little smaller, not happy but all the color is still there so I'm hoping all will be fine. Damn!

They'll be fine. Cooling down a bit is far better than heating up a bit.

That's what I heard once, so I'm hoping they'll all be ok. Still freaked me out when I went downstairs & started razor cleaning the front glass and noticed how cold it was.

Well, 1st time for everything. Major screw up on my part. Fed yesterday and forgot to turn the pump on, wanted to give it a few hrs before turning it on. FORGOT! Came home and just checked, water was 68 in the display. Everything looks a little smaller, not happy but all the color is still there so I'm hoping all will be fine. Damn!

I had power go out once, a few years ago. Everything was off for probably 8 hours overnight before I discovered it in the a.m. It was cold, but everything survived. I'm sure you'll be fine :). Plus we ship things overnight in a box with no air circulation so I wouldn't worry about that either. Cold is better than hot for sure.

I had power go out once, a few years ago. Everything was off for probably 8 hours overnight before I discovered it in the a.m. It was cold, but everything survived. I'm sure you'll be fine :). Plus we ship things overnight in a box with no air circulation so I wouldn't worry about that either. Cold is better than hot for sure.

thanks also for the encouraging words. :flower:

You received most of these anemones via mail and acclimate them by leaving 'em out of ANY water for a while. :)

I suspect they'll be fine, especially since the cool down was gradual and other stressors kept to a minimum. I've left pumps/filters/heaters offline a distressing number of times for 8-16 hours, yet everything bounces back within the day once corrected.

Seems like there'd be a market for "delay" switches in our hobby - kinda like a mini outlet timer except that you're hitting a button to cut the power for 15-30 minutes or so with an automatic resume. Or is this a feature of most existing aquatics controllers on the market and I'm just ignorant due to my keep-it-simple hardware approach?

Annette - Like the others, I think things will be fine since it was a gradual change.

Seems like there'd be a market for "delay" switches in our hobby - kinda like a mini outlet timer except that you're hitting a button to cut the power for 15-30 minutes or so with an automatic resume. Or is this a feature of most existing aquatics controllers on the market and I'm just ignorant due to my keep-it-simple hardware approach?

Yup, this is a feature on controllers. For example with my Apex Jr, with a touch of a button my tank's circulation pump and powerhead turn off and stay off for 10 minutes; the protein skimmer turns off and stays off for an hour. I use that setting for feeding. I have another setting for water changes. That turns off the circulation pump, powerhead, skimmer, and heater for an hour. The water change never takes me that long, so I just cancel it when I'm finished.

Thanks everyone, I was worried because it was for sure 24 hrs so I freaked out a little, having put so much into this tank. All look normal and open full today. I'm glad. Very glad. Also, all inverts are fine as well.

Thanks everyone, I was worried because it was for sure 24 hrs so I freaked out a little, having put so much into this tank. All look normal and open full today. I'm glad. Very glad. Also, all inverts are fine as well.

Yay!!!! Thank goodness :).
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I feel bad though I know they'll grow back. Just amputated a cm off 2 of my red star fishes arms. I had turned off the power head to feed the tank, went on the treadmill for 49 mins, and turned it back on. UGH. Guess I'll call him Stumpy.

Any more pics of the babies?

Nope, they're so tiny I can't even get them well enough to show them. I think some may of hid because I'm not seeing some where I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, I may have like 4 or 5, some have shrunk, some moved to who knows where, hard to feed these little guys, so hard to even get pics they're sooo tiny. Hoping some live to be able to get some pics even. I feed the water column all kinds of things. Trying to be hopeful.

Nope, I may have like 4 or 5, some have shrunk, some moved to who knows where, hard to feed these little guys, so hard to even get pics they're sooo tiny. Hoping some live to be able to get some pics even. I feed the water column all kinds of things. Trying to be hopeful.

Well I wish the best of luck to you in raising them. It sounds very difficult, indeed.

I'm not going anywhere, so if you're successful, I'll be around to see it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived