Coral Vue Hydros

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

congrats! cant wait to see their colors! how long does it take for them to grow out???? I guess we will all find out soon =).

I don't have any idea but I know it's fairly long, 2 mos that little white one sat in my 34, barely getting bigger. I'd have to look at the article in Coral Magazine again.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Wait, so you were trying to get them to spawn? Hmm. You may want to look into alternatives to protein skimmers, then, as the skimmer will quickly remove gametes from the water column (otherwise you may have hundreds more by now lol).

Yeah, I was hoping they'd breed for me. And look, did it with no Barry White even!!!!

I already believe I have 100 easy on the sand right now. They're not blowing around right now so considering the skimmer had been going on the whole time and I just turned it off yesterday, those pellets floated a little midway in the column then the powerhead sent them to the ground gently. They don't have to grow fast. I'll run out of room in that tank.

Would a nursery/basket be helpful for them? I remember seeing in coral magazine they had baskets for the anemones.

maybe, I think I'd have to have a lid on it TO take it out of the water to feed them so they could be swimming in it. But then the ones that are on the rocks right now, the babies, need their nutrition too so that's why I'm thinking nix the basket idea.

Hmmm... maybe instead of ordering a 3rd and final rock flower from VIP I should just head up to Asheville. Shorter drive and an even better selection! ;)

As others have noted... this is the coolest species tank & project I've seen in the last 3 years (i.e. since getting interested in reefing). Glad to see the tank's maturing out of the uglier startup stages.

Hmmm... maybe instead of ordering a 3rd and final rock flower from VIP I should just head up to Asheville. Shorter drive and an even better selection! ;)

As others have noted... this is the coolest species tank & project I've seen in the last 3 years (i.e. since getting interested in reefing). Glad to see the tank's maturing out of the uglier startup stages.

Yeah, it would be closer and you wouldn't have to pay shipping! Wow, I can't believe this is the coolest species tank or project. I think of the Mangrove tank and others before this. But I still love the compliment! Maturing- you and me both. Now I have to be patient as I get some uglies just in feeding them til they can take some LRS Reef Frenzy or mysis or something later.

Wow! This tank is so much fun! Congratulations on the babies!

I'm thinking March 2015 TOTM!

Well, thank you so much. That would be incredible. Right now I need your microscope to find some of these babies. Some little pellets that were on the sand are starting to open up. It's so incredible to see colors, as well as white ones, I still like white ones. I definitely have a green, some maroons, white, red and found an orange. Any suggestion for a macro lens for a Nikon D80????

Nice collection! Everything looks great. I want some baby nems.

Thank you! I got hooked when I bought my first white one May 2 yrs ago or so. Sometime in the last year someone posted a thread asking what your dream tank would be. This is it! Right here! I couldn't imagine anything more beautiful than seeing flowers bloom before your eyes. And that everyday I can go downstairs to my basement and find new ones that opened.

Right now I need your microscope to find some of these babies. Some little pellets that were on the sand are starting to open up. It's so incredible to see colors, as well as white ones, I still like white ones. I definitely have a green, some maroons, white, red and found an orange. Any suggestion for a macro lens for a Nikon D80????

Oh man, that is so cool! Nice that you are seeing colors already. When I visited Tropicorium a few month back (the owner of Tropicorium is the guy who was featured in the Coral magazine article) he said initially he had pretty bland babies and had to wait a long time for them to start to color up. But, when I was there he had some little specs of babies that just glowed under an actinic flashlight. He was pretty proud of them. And here with your first big spawn already have colorful little babies. I can't wait to watch these grow!

maybe, I think I'd have to have a lid on it TO take it out of the water to feed them so they could be swimming in it. But then the ones that are on the rocks right now, the babies, need their nutrition too so that's why I'm thinking nix the basket idea.

I was thinking more just a corral that you wouldn't have to remove. Just to keep them contained while they are tiny.

Oh man, that is so cool! Nice that you are seeing colors already. When I visited Tropicorium a few month back (the owner of Tropicorium is the guy who was featured in the Coral magazine article) he said initially he had pretty bland babies and had to wait a long time for them to start to color up. But, when I was there he had some little specs of babies that just glowed under an actinic flashlight. He was pretty proud of them. And here with your first big spawn already have colorful little babies. I can't wait to watch these grow!

Annette is a natural at raising pretty RFAs :D.

That is so awesome!Congrats!Im in love with this tank. One day i would love to have some of those babies

Oh my gosh. I feel honored that you love my tank. Cuz I love your Fumanchu tank as I call it. I can't wait to see a FTS of yours very soon, near future, tomorrow maybe???

Yeah, I was reading that in the article about the colors. That's why I wanted to start mine w/ VIP Nems. The most beautiful around. I must be lucky. The tank is getting lucky. Randi was over here taking pics w/ her macro lens and some male spewed into the water, little wisps of white floating around the tank. Guess I can expect more babies in 3 mos. I'll probably end bringing some babies up later into the 34g again, from whence they came (well some of them).

Oh my gosh. I feel honored that you love my tank. Cuz I love your Fumanchu tank as I call it. I can't wait to see a FTS of yours very soon, near future, tomorrow maybe???

Thanks so much. Im actually prepping it as we speak FTS is definitely coming soon.

I was thinking more just a corral that you wouldn't have to remove. Just to keep them contained while they are tiny.

Annette is a natural at raising pretty RFAs :D.

Hey, I only grew 1 for a little while and it croaked so I was really discouraged. But, I'm not now!!! But...I am going to make it happen to drive down to Miami min like Feb or March and meet Frank and see his place. Drive back with several new ones. That would fun while getting some beach sun. I"m worried already about space.

Thanks so much. Im actually prepping it as we speak FTS is definitely coming soon.

Since I haven't been around NR too long, only since like Jan 2013 I missed some of your previous tanks. You just have this way of putting it together, densely, that makes it look as if had been there so long, looks so gloriously established. I'm jealous of your skills.

Since I haven't been around NR too long, only since like Jan 2013 I missed some of your previous tanks. You just have this way of putting it together, densely, that makes it look as if had been there so long, looks so gloriously established. I'm jealous of your skills.

Thanks so much :blush::blush: Nothing to be jealous of....you are quite the reefer. Youve accomplished what very few have done in this hobby -_-

Mr. Microscope

Well, thank you so much. That would be incredible. Right now I need your microscope to find some of these babies. Some little pellets that were on the sand are starting to open up. It's so incredible to see colors, as well as white ones, I still like white ones. I definitely have a green, some maroons, white, red and found an orange. Any suggestion for a macro lens for a Nikon D80????

So cool! I hope you find some multicolored ones as well as they start to grow. The orange is very exciting!

Sorry. No suggestions on a lens. I just use a P&S.

Hey, I only grew 1 for a little while and it croaked so I was really discouraged. But, I'm not now!!! But...I am going to make it happen to drive down to Miami min like Feb or March and meet Frank and see his place. Drive back with several new ones. That would fun while getting some beach sun. I"m worried already about space.

Wish I could tag along :).

Any suggestion for a macro lens for a Nikon D80????

I have a Canon, but I use a 100mm macro lens with image stabilization. I'm sure Nikon would have something very similar to it.

I have a Canon, but I use a 100mm macro lens with image stabilization. I'm sure Nikon would have something very similar to it.

Thanks for this tip as well.

Hey congrats!! How are you going to raise the babies? Leave them with mom or raise separately? I just got a batch of baby nems and tried to gather as many as I could find and put them in an open container within the main tank. I am feeding a mixture of phytoplan and zoplan and dispense into container so the food is somewhat contained for a bit within the container. Maybe try to hatch baby brine and dispense in the container eventually. They are so tiny (but still colorful)

They definitely are the same pellets that were released from the females before so now I'm even more confident they're all rock flowers. That means if each little grouping is like 40-50 and they're sprinkled all over I have a ton to keep alive. I also have Coral Frenzy and Reef Bugs that I can use too, along w/ Albert's powder. You think that will sufifice?

I was frustrated for so long now it's right where I want it to be. I just have to be careful not to overfeed to get the little ones to survive and not get cyano again. I usually clean the front and 2 side pieces of glass and leave the back for the urchin and sea egg. It's a joy to go downstairs to see this tank. Now i'm committing to twice a week treadmill this month so I can make sure to enjoy it along w/ going down there anyway and sitting in my chair and just staring.

yep, I'm lovin' it!

I don't know who all are mom's & dad's haven't been able to watch all the nems. There are no other tanks for them to go into, except the floor of the 34 if/when some get larger. They'll remain in this big tank among family.

If I were you I'd bust out the powdered/powderable food, mix up some in a shotglass, cut the pumps & baste the spots via pipette where the bulk of your baby nems have settled. One veeeeery light pass to elicit a feeding response and then a few minutes later a second more generous one to get food stuck to their oral disc.

Far less upsetting to the tank's chemistry (a little food goes a long way in this manner) and gets the bulk of the food where it needs to be.

Archived