SaltCritters.com

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Gravel vac the sand, and time will clear up all you're algae/cyano worries. I would if I were you add some more rock either in display or sump and think about adding some more sand(conchs need to be able to bury themselves) You can never have too much bio filtration. I run a 5-6" sand bed that I gravel vac a small amount of each water change. I run cheato in my sump. I've never used carbon or gfo. I always feed heavy and am a firm believer in nutrient rich water. You will pull you're hair out trying to outsmart cyano/Dino/algae. In time you will notice less and less of the uglies. You have an awesome setup regardless of the uglies.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gravel vac the sand, and time will clear up all you're algae/cyano worries. I would if I were you add some more rock either in display or sump and think about adding some more sand(conchs need to be able to bury themselves) You can never have too much bio filtration. I run a 5-6" sand bed that I gravel vac a small amount of each water change. I run cheato in my sump. I've never used carbon or gfo. I always feed heavy and am a firm believer in nutrient rich water. You will pull you're hair out trying to outsmart cyano/Dino/algae. In time you will notice less and less of the uglies. You have an awesome setup regardless of the uglies.

I don't do well at gravel vacking. I certainly don't need to take any more out and that's what happens when I try to do that. I have 1-1,5" of sand, depending where they are in the tank as the flow has moved it around. Aside from those rocks I have probably half of a 5lb bucket in the sump.

Get a smaller diameter gravel vac and when you see the sand going to far up the tube simply place your finger over the the out fliw tube to stop the siphon. You can control what goes out and what stays in.

Get a smaller diameter gravel vac and when you see the sand going to far up the tube simply place your finger over the the out fliw tube to stop the siphon. You can control what goes out and what stays in.

It's small at 1 inch diameter. I kink it when I want the sand to stop going up. I just don't do it well still. I'll just have to get some practice. For now the conchs are doing a better job at it than me.

How are you liking your red mithrax? I've been eyeing them at KP for a while, and finally bit the bullet when I saw some bubble algae in my tank. Little nervous it may try to go after my fish.

How are you liking your red mithrax? I've been eyeing them at KP for a while, and finally bit the bullet when I saw some bubble algae in my tank. Little nervous it may try to go after my fish.

Mine have been doing fine and don't bother the fish. They're busy pickin' this n' that off the rocks.

Came home today to find that the bright yellow nem and one of the others didn't want to be on the sand anymore so they moved onto a rock on the left side. I don't have that many rocks so I hope some stay on the sand. I also hate it when one decides to face to the back of the tank. But whatever makes them happy. If they'll spawn better on rocks, so be it.

I ordered one of those coral viewers from Eshopps so hopefully that will help me take some nice pics of my nems as long as I get the light right. I'll think I have the light right and then I take a pic and the bright yellow nem looks yellow green for example. Everyone is doing fine, the hawkwings are doing well. I'm just going to have to decide at what point do I feed them? Currently they're vacuuming but I guess at some moment I'll need to get some nori or something.

And as long as I have some junk on the walls I guess that means my sea egg and urchin will have something on which to graze.

Pictures galore- the cyano is looking much better.

035_zps913bdb98.jpg

040_zpsfcad025b.jpg

039_zpsd5b02134.jpg

030_zps1cd11413.jpg

029_zpsca106863.jpg

028_zps1ca05fd9.jpg

023_zpsa66b8916.jpg

021_zpsf66b6b51.jpg

020_zps988b37c2.jpg

019_zps3ba8be9b.jpg

017_zpsa5f88124.jpg

This was always on the rock in the 34. I couldn't get rid of it so I have it here now facing the back. I believe one person told me it might be some kind of a curlique anemone. There aren't any fish for it to hurt so we'll just keep it in here. It does look happier here.

033_zps3413bd17.jpg

I believe one person told me it might be some kind of a curlique anemone. There aren't any fish for it to hurt so we'll just keep it in here. It does look happier here.

033_zps3413bd17.jpg

It does look like one ..

Need a Better shot to be sure but that does look like curlique arms.

I also had 2 on the front facing zoa rock but I put kalkwasser on them and did manage to kill those 2, at the time they were smaller and I thought they were aptasia, then I saw someone's post.

Those are some intense colors on your nems

TY just had some babies floating around last week or so, will be curious to see what happens. So small when they landed on the sand, hopefully they grow enough so I can find them and put them in a separate little sand container in there so I can feed them more easily. Also hoping the hawkwing conchs didn't suck them up; they look just like food pellets but tiny rectangular instead of round. All but 4 are from VIP. 29 in there at this point. I lost several early on when the tank was just starting out.

Nice! Sounds like things are thriving in your tank. So they don't mind if they touch? That's a bonus for sure

Nope, initially I spaced them out so nicely, and they pretty much started moving around, they love touching. I think it's so nice and intimate.

I also had 2 on the front facing zoa rock but I put kalkwasser on them and did manage to kill those 2, at the time they were smaller and I thought they were aptasia, then I saw someone's post.

They really aren't that bad. I have one paired with a pistol shrimp and its been a model citizen in the tank. Its doesn't sting anymore than any nem and it stays put which is more than I can say about my rbta.

this tank is turning into something quite special. I love species tanks. Have you considered a clarkii pair? I saw a pair hosting a rfa at the columbus zoo aquarium last week and thought well thats cool.

this tank is turning into something quite special. I love species tanks. Have you considered a clarkii pair? I saw a pair hosting a rfa at the columbus zoo aquarium last week and thought well thats cool.

Thanks, I like the idea of it actually being an all invert tank, from the 2 urchins, the hawkwing conches, the 2 serpent stars, 1 red mithrax, 1 mystery crab. I have one black clown and a black misbar in my 34 w/ my rbta, they're bigger than the rbta right now.

Maybe one day I'd put something in there but I don't even know what because I like what it is right now. It's hard enough the tank being downstairs and me not being able to see it all the time, until I go downstairs and say hello or when I go walking on the treadmill which is just off to the right of it.

Thanks, I like the idea of it actually being an all invert tank, from the 2 urchins, the hawkwing conches, the 2 serpent stars, 1 red mithrax, 1 mystery crab. I have one black clown and a black misbar in my 34 w/ my rbta, they're bigger than the rbta right now.

Maybe one day I'd put something in there but I don't even know what because I like what it is right now. It's hard enough the tank being downstairs and me not being able to see it all the time, until I go downstairs and say hello or when I go walking on the treadmill which is just off to the right of it.

I thought it was unique mostly because I hear rfa's aren't usually a host to clowns of any type. Very large rfa though... skunks were living in the big haddoni they had in there aswell.

I thought it was unique mostly because I hear rfa's aren't usually a host to clowns of any type. Very large rfa though... skunks were living in the big haddoni they had in there aswell.

That is bizarre, couldn't imagine rfas doing that. I know the biggest rfa I saw on NR was 6-7".

That is bizarre, couldn't imagine rfas doing that. I know the biggest rfa I saw on NR was 6-7".

this is an rfa right, short kinda stacked looking tentacles around a a disc like a skirt?

15588616216_8e67414ba8_h.jpg

this is an rfa right, short kinda stacked looking tentacles around a a disc like a skirt?

Damn! I live in Columbus. I've never noticed the RFA and clowns when I have visited the zoo. I have seen their beautiful ginormous cardinals though! Sounds like I have an excuse to go to the zoo again. :)

There is one type of RFA that some clowns WILL be hosted by. And that's it in the photo :). I had one at one time and the person I got it from said that his clowns lived in them :).

Archived