ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Your like a cat lady but with aquariums :) Cool. I'm afraid of overflows, I wake up at the slightest drip of water. Even with the 'foolproof' life reef, I'd never sleep. lol. Nice going. I'm waiting on my reefoctopus 2000 and even with the motor outside the aquarium I'm getting nervous. I expect 2 a.m checks for awhile. No sleep for the wicked. Goodluck.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I changed my lighting schedule. I was previously doing this.

9 0 1

11 40 70

12 50 80

5 40 70

8 30 60

10 0 0

Changed to while I have the cyano issue.

12 0 1

1 30 50

2 35 60

6 40 60

8 30 60

10 0 0

Look at these two, hanging out.

002_zpse627cdc6.jpg

005_zpscba8476a.jpg

014_zps297950ef.jpg

010_zpsc5501d22.jpg

011_zpsb052b321.jpg

006_zps305180da.jpg

Turning down the lights is sexy :)

Hey there Anthony, long time no see. Thanks for stopping by. I think I have a lil' bit of sexy going on in my tank w/ the critters I just bought. cyano....mmm... not so sexy. Not all looks good in red!

I just had a thought, what about a lawnmower blenny to sift my sand? Could this be what I need? I think they're kinda cool looking. Found a place Saltwaterfish.com that has them right now for 13.99. They also have a pygmy angelfish for $10.

I've never seen a lawnmower belnn sift sand. Maybe look into some gobies (my mistake was trying to study at the time, i've seen orange spotted ones that are huge), but even then they requires a large sandbed and frequent feedings

What would be good for the sandbed? I don't want to get a sand sifting starfish because I'm concerned it won't get enough to eat since I feed each nem by hand there's not much of anything floating around.

Blennies do not sift sand, only some gobies do. You'll need a tight lid/cover, though, as gobies are jumpers.

A sand sifting star would do fine in your tank. I had one in my 80g for around 8 months before I gave him back to my friend (that had kept it in his 6 gallon tank for over a year before then) when he upgraded to a larger tank.

Blennies do not sift sand, only some gobies do. You'll need a tight lid/cover, though, as gobies are jumpers.

A sand sifting star would do fine in your tank. I had one in my 80g for around 8 months before I gave him back to my friend (that had kept it in his 6 gallon tank for over a year before then) when he upgraded to a larger tank.

Maybe I'll have to think about it then.

Oh, and I moved the gold colored nem today into the 60, it had it's skirt up today so I gently pried it off w/ a butter knife.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/012_zpsf7c73c0e.jpg.html'>012_zpsf7c73c0e.jpg

Wow I completely have tank envy!! Love it. I currently have 5, we'll 4 that I know are alive and one rfa that has disappeared!! Definitely following this along as I found this to possibly breed them one day too... I wish the best of luck.

That shot of the urchins is really cool. They're so awesome. I've always wanted one, but I don't have enough algae in my tank for one. Do they ever bulldoze your corals?

Also, that shot of the gold nem is amazing. I really like that one :)

Btw, if you're looking to keep the sand clean, I'd pick up another fighting conch or 2. I have 2 in my 30 gallon and they do an amazing job stirring the sand. They're all over all the time. They spend a lot of time down under the sand moving all around and then they pop up on top of the sand and vacuum the top of the sand too. Since my sandbed was what crashed my tank originally, I've been worried about keeping it super clean. I was originally siphoning it with each water change, but the conch do such a good job that I've stopped worrying about that except every once in a while.

Wow I completely have tank envy!! Love it. I currently have 5, we'll 4 that I know are alive and one rfa that has disappeared!! Definitely following this along as I found this to possibly breed them one day too... I wish the best of luck.

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

That shot of the urchins is really cool. They're so awesome. I've always wanted one, but I don't have enough algae in my tank for one. Do they ever bulldoze your corals?

Also, that shot of the gold nem is amazing. I really like that one :)

Btw, if you're looking to keep the sand clean, I'd pick up another fighting conch or 2. I have 2 in my 30 gallon and they do an amazing job stirring the sand. They're all over all the time. They spend a lot of time down under the sand moving all around and then they pop up on top of the sand and vacuum the top of the sand too. Since my sandbed was what crashed my tank originally, I've been worried about keeping it super clean. I was originally siphoning it with each water change, but the conch do such a good job that I've stopped worrying about that except every once in a while.

There's no waste that I'm aware of in the sand, but the top has a green algae, loooks like I'm almost done w/ cyano. I wasn't sure how many I could safely have. I just have to keep doing water changes, I just don't know yet what the cause is as I only feed twice a week right now and that's right onto their tentacles so there isn't any free floating time of foods in there, except maybe when I put a little cyclopeeze but I stopped doing that too.

Here it is currently. The green isn't showing up as much as it should. Mostly everywhere there's a diatom look but it's light green.

Its that light, really intense. I figured it out on my led too. I have 2 x 165 watt. I got em dialed way down. The whites on 10 percent for 5.5 hours and the blues on 45 percent from 10 am until 6.30. They are much brighter than they appear to your eye. I kept thinking not enough light, and increasing them up more and more until I realized I was killing them with light. I think reducing them will help. Opening up a flower shop, you can make up my wedding bouquet... if I was to do it again...umm hell no!!! :) lol

It's just weird because I have the lights on low I think. Isn't this low? It doesn't seem high. Going to go on treadmill now for 30 mins til Inkmaster.

W B

12 0 1
1 30 50
2 35 60
6 40 60
8 30 60
10 0 0

Great video, Annette! I hope that cyano and algae goes away soon for you. I think cyano can be green too...may be what the green is. Unless it's fuzzy like a plant.

I like your urchins! I put in a request for an urchin at my LFS. Should get one this week :).

It's just weird because I have the lights on low I think. Isn't this low? It doesn't seem high. Going to go on treadmill now for 30 mins til Inkmaster.

W B

12 0 1

1 30 50

2 35 60

6 40 60

8 30 60

10 0 0

I don't think that's very high considering the spread of that light over the long tank. I have my Razor around the same intensity settings and my tank is only a 30 gallon. Is the green algae only in the central portion where you're getting the most light, or is it out on the edges too where it seems like you probably aren't getting that much PAR? That should tell you if its a light issue at all.

I'll second the fighting conch, mostly because its an awesome critter to have in a reef tank and really screams look we're in the ocean when you see one in the tank.

I'll second the fighting conch, mostly because its an awesome critter to have in a reef tank and really screams look we're in the ocean when you see one in the tank.

They're pretty cute too :lol:. I like when my other snails ride him to clean the algae off of his shell :).

They're pretty cute too :lol:. I like when my other snails ride him to clean the algae off of his shell :).

Ha, yeh mine constantly has 3 dwarf cerith hitch hikers on him at all times.

Great video, Annette! I hope that cyano and algae goes away soon for you. I think cyano can be green too...may be what the green is. Unless it's fuzzy like a plant.

I like your urchins! I put in a request for an urchin at my LFS. Should get one this week :).

Saw that! Nice!!! I like him so far, but wondering if/when I need to feed any of these critters.

I don't think that's very high considering the spread of that light over the long tank. I have my Razor around the same intensity settings and my tank is only a 30 gallon. Is the green algae only in the central portion where you're getting the most light, or is it out on the edges too where it seems like you probably aren't getting that much PAR? That should tell you if its a light issue at all.

It's also on the outermost part too on the ends so I guess it means it's not the lights. I hadn't thought of that for some reason. Thanks.

it's not smooth like cyano, it's a little fuzzy.

• 2 weeks later...

New items today. When Phillip of KPAquatics thanked me a couple days ago for sending him some recent pics of the critters I received in my tank, he told me he had a couple of guys I might like and they get them rarely, like once a year.

My great recommendation of other reefers. Hawkwings!

20141010_180402_zpswamwyzcn.jpg

2.5" just cute and bigger than my conch.

009_zpsa993e33b.jpg

3.5"- huge!!

010_zps0b24a719.jpg

They have a lot to do before my next large water change on Sun.

20141010_181333_zpsvrzxtptv.jpg

003_zps1267a208.jpg

I also got 2 nems, they gave me one free just in case one died and KPAquatics just loves the word of mouth that goes on around here!

jedimasterben

I'd be wary of that many conchs in there unless you start growing more film algae. I had two small S. alatus fighting conchs in with my hawkwing, and after a couple of months both of the fighting conchs died, probably too much competition for what little algae I had. So far I've stuck with just my hawkwing, had him for over two years now.

Archived