Pod Your Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

I love this tank! I blame you for my rock anemone obsession (in fact waiting for delivery today!) I second the suggestion of a fighting conch to help the sand bed. I got one a month ago for my 30, I was having diatom and cyano issues. I don't think they eat cyano, but he churns the sand so much it couldn't settle anymore. Plus they're so cool looking and surprisingly fast.

You have some real beauties!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Covet, covet, covet. Ah, I'm going to the Special Hell. ;)

The supply has dried up here with their recent surge in popularity. I'm asking around my local club to see if I can drum up enough interest to get a group buy from VIP. Only orange, red and green (solid toned & no patterns) left available locally, and for a good %40-100 more than what VIP's asking for what would be termed "sooper-dooper/ultra/LE/deepwater TURBO!!!" if it turned up within a few miles of me.

Covet, covet, covet. Ah, I'm going to the Special Hell. ;)

The supply has dried up here with their recent surge in popularity. I'm asking around my local club to see if I can drum up enough interest to get a group buy from VIP. Only orange, red and green (solid toned & no patterns) left available locally, and for a good %40-100 more than what VIP's asking for what would be termed "sooper-dooper/ultra/LE/deepwater TURBO!!!" if it turned up within a few miles of me.

wow, that's a big difference in price. Yikes.

I love this tank! I blame you for my rock anemone obsession (in fact waiting for delivery today!) I second the suggestion of a fighting conch to help the sand bed. I got one a month ago for my 30, I was having diatom and cyano issues. I don't think they eat cyano, but he churns the sand so much it couldn't settle anymore. Plus they're so cool looking and surprisingly fast. You have some real beauties!

Yeah, I am the reason behind many surging addictions!!! but now you know why I love them so much! You will show pics right? And you're gonna have to get a thread going! or at least put them on the Rock Flower Appreciation Thread. I want to see them all.

Popped him in the tank right before I left for work lol hope to post pics in the appreciation thread soon!

I can definitely see how your tank was a source of inspiration.

I thought I saw somewhere on this forum members were trying to get together for a group buy from VIP? Might have been old.

VIP are the GODS of rock flower nems!!! You guys should out their stock right now, it's incredible. I bought an ultra solid pink nem from them when RAP was here... it disappeared into the rocks after three days and havent seen it since! ugh.

I thought I saw somewhere on this forum members were trying to get together for a group buy from VIP? Might have been old.

Its in the RFA Appreciation thread. :)

i had a couple work fishy friends check him out last Sat, Frank showed them around. You gotta love it when someone says they're "low" right now, they only have a 1000 nems in shop. My jaw dropped when he told me that several mos back. I still haven't gone down there personally and I want to really bad. And they said he, his wife, etc are just the nicest people.

i had a couple work fishy friends check him out last Sat, Frank showed them around. You gotta love it when someone says they're "low" right now, they only have a 1000 nems in shop. My jaw dropped when he told me that several mos back. I still haven't gone down there personally and I want to really bad. And they said he, his wife, etc are just the nicest people.

Did they take any pictures for you :)

They did take a pic of one of the display tanks that has gorgeous sps in it. I'll ask if they got others next Mon when I see them.

I just ordered the 70 gal pkg of reef cleaners so I'll be set for cleaners. Also did the penny macro. First order from them and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. The pencil urchin I moved into this tank from the 34 has grown considerably. Looking forward to my order and sharing some with my friend Randi too.

it disappeared into the rocks after three days and havent seen it since! ugh.

One I just bought (locally) yesterday did the same thing.. It actually went under some rocks and is hiding in a cave under the sand level.

Rock flowers do enjoy darkness. Kinda like my majanos.

Eventually this thread will get moved to the proper subforum. ;)

I've got the standard Nuvo 8 light on there (sold the Kessil A150w I was using) My large RFA is out in the open, soaking up the rays - of course different ones could like more or less light.

The yellow color looks very cool with just the actinics on - like a jack-o-lantern lit from inside..

Darn it, my ato pump stopped pumping water in. The other day I lighty hit the side of the ato bucket wall with it and it started up. I've put some liquid mag and alkilinity up in there about 2 wks ago, must be clogged somewhere but there does not seem to be a blockage for the water coming out as I sucked in some water through the tube so unsure where else there may be a blockage. I turned it off right now. Not sure how to fix it. Should I dip the whole thing in vinegar? It hums so the pump part works.

Well, I faxed Tunze my ATO purchase order receipt from BRS w/ the serial number. I bought it in April but only had used it for a month. I told them that I bought another a few mos before and it was working perfectly so I asked them what the procedure was for returning the pump, etc.

I had the lights off for a few days and they algae was just about gone, I had it on for 1.5 days and this happened. Interestingly, one nem climbed the front glass wall- that's a new one for me. I also put in a cleaning crew from reef cleaners I think it was Thursday. I'm going to turn the lights off the next couple of days and see how it goes again. Looks yucky. I also want to unstick them and move them centrally. Also today I"m going to put some carbon into the AC30 that's helping to circulate the water in the middle section w/ the rock and Matrix.

Warning, not looking pretty my friends. But once I'm done w/ this algae and the ATO is back I should be good. I haven't fed the last 3 days due to waiting for the algae to go. I currently have 18 in there, I'll probably get 2 more & call it done for stocking.

001_zps82ec5dc3.jpg

002_zps9330c386.jpg

003_zps39c5b225.jpg

004_zps9937cc5a.jpg

008_zps0de6461a.jpg

Not algae, it is cyanobacteria. Increase nutrient export, phosphate remover would help.

It's just odd, because it wasn't stringy like the stuff I had in my Evolve so that's why I wasn't thinking it might be. First I had light feather green algae, then diatoms, then it changed now to cyano. What fun. I need to get some phosgaurd then. I checked and phos was .25. So I'll do that first and later on use carbon. Does it come in a bag or can I pour it in the AC30 in the fuge?

Two Little Fish phosphate reactor works wonders for cyano! One of my favorite add-on's to my tank. Makes the water crystal clear and no cyano!

jedimasterben

It's just odd, because it wasn't stringy like the stuff I had in my Evolve so that's why I wasn't thinking it might be. First I had light feather green algae, then diatoms, then it changed now to cyano. What fun. I need to get some phosgaurd then. I checked and phos was .25. So I'll do that first and later on use carbon. Does it come in a bag or can I pour it in the AC30 in the fuge?

There are thousands of species of cyanobacteria so it's probably a different one than in your other tank. :)

Checked phosphate with what test kit? Only one I know of that will off the bat read at that resolution, and that's the API test kit. If that's what you got, toss it and buy a quality one, it's not going to give you any readings.

It needs to be in something, I would not just put it loose somewhere.

My phosphate was .25 w/ API so I have to order some phosguard online. They only had a pack of phosguard for a 30g in a shop here. I'll check Petco on Mon because it's across from my workplace.

Who makes a really good phosphate, magnesium, and alkalinity checker? I have Salifert for Nirtrates but I don't like the test for the alkality at all. It says when it reads bright yellow, well, 6-12 are all bright yellow and I don't see a difference. Hanna?

jedimasterben

My phosphate was .25 w/ API so I have to order some phosguard online. They only had a pack of phosguard for a 30g in a shop here. I'll check Petco on Mon because it's across from my workplace.

Who makes a really good phosphate, magnesium, and alkalinity checker? I have Salifert for Nirtrates but I don't like the test for the alkality at all. It says when it reads bright yellow, well, 6-12 are all bright yellow and I don't see a difference. Hanna?

Hanna checkers are only good for alkalinity, that is only one that I can get consistent readings from, and I'm not alone. For everything else, pretty much Red Sea or Salifert.

Your phosphate level is anywhere from 0.01ppm to 0.25ppm, the API kit does not discern between the two. If your reading were 0.25, then your tank would look a lot worse IMHO, so I wouldn't fret it.

I've got some pretty bad cyano right now, but I've got no phosphates. Go figure lol. My skimmer has been finicky lately, though, hasn't been pulling a lot of skimmate, so that is the reason for me.

My skimmer first was probably the best setting, then I changed it, then it wasn't pulling enough, too dry, now I'm trying the other way again. So, still playing w/ that. I love my skimmer.

These pics w/ my Samsung 3 look more accurate.

20140719_140016_zps5iqdhqzg.jpg

20140719_135913_zpsgi1uxsnq.jpg

20140719_135946_zpsayavv4m6.jpg

Annette,

I bought several Hanna testers when I started because I am colorblind.

But must admit the Salifert test kits are easier to read. My wife helps with the colors. Some of the Hanna testers work well for me but the alkalinity tester is always off. My LFS has checked my water several times. They use Red Sea test kits.

BTW, why is this thread in the equipment forum? I always am looking for it in the owners forum.

David

Archived