ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pics. Not the best but it's something. It's really hard to get pics w/o the clusters above in the pic.

008_zps839eddc1.jpg

007_zpsfa5a24d4.jpg

006_zps22f58f0f.jpg

005_zpsb44e0d44.jpg

004_zps394f3dad.jpg

And the rocks.

009_zps568eb779.jpg

010_zps52da8e68.jpg

A Florida fighting conch may help turn the sand bed and clean up the diatoms. It will sure be happy with such a large sand bed!

A Florida fighting conch may help turn the sand bed and clean up the diatoms. It will sure be happy with such a large sand bed!

good idea. do you think it will over time have enough to eat in the tank once the diatoms are gone?

good idea. do you think it will over time have enough to eat in the tank once the diatoms are gone?

I think so since you feed the flowers. I have had mine a year in a 40B and he's going strong and you have a lot more sand than me.

With you feeding meaty foods daily to encourage 'nem growth? Yes. That or a small army o' dwarf hermits to help so pick at those rocks (hint, hint).

I officially covet your anemone selection! Would that we had that diversity of them in stores here... you've officially got me wavering in my "no live animals shipped" mail-order policy.

Love this tank so natural looking!

I have one and it does a great job although you may have to supplement its diet.... Ive been using nualgi to create diatom blooms and keep him well fed.

jedimasterben

I've had a hawkwing conch in my tank for right at 2 years now, and I've never had issues with him finding enough to eat. I've also put two more FL fighting conchs in the tank, but over time those died off, not sure if it was due to the dinoflagellates, though. I know at the least, my hawkwing conch will climb on any rock that it can and eat off of it, and all of the rocks where they touch the sand, and it can stretch its, well, snout-thingy up a 4-5" off of the sand.

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

He's quite the acrobat :D

I have one and it does a great job although you may have to supplement its diet.... Ive been using nualgi to create diatom blooms and keep him well fed.

I've been skipping straight to the point and dosing pure sodium silicate, but even with an immense dose I'm still unable to cause diatom blooms.

I've had a hawkwing conch in my tank for right at 2 years now, and I've never had issues with him finding enough to eat. I've also put two more FL fighting conchs in the tank, but over time those died off, not sure if it was due to the dinoflagellates, though. I know at the least, my hawkwing conch will climb on any rock that it can and eat off of it, and all of the rocks where they touch the sand, and it can stretch its, well, snout-thingy up a 4-5" off of the sand.

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

He's quite the acrobat :D

I've been skipping straight to the point and dosing pure sodium silicate, but even with an immense dose I'm still unable to cause diatom blooms.

Oh, he's really cool. 4-5" off the sand? What a reach!

With you feeding meaty foods daily to encourage 'nem growth? Yes. That or a small army o' dwarf hermits to help so pick at those rocks (hint, hint).

I officially covet your anemone selection! Would that we had that diversity of them in stores here... you've officially got me wavering in my "no live animals shipped" mail-order policy.

We have 2 stores here, none carry rock flowers so I have no choice. The only time I'll ever get to hand pick them out in person is if I go to VIPReef myself one day. I WILL do that one day. I'm jealous, I mean really jealous, I have 2 friends going to pick up their son from MIami the 4th & 5th and they'll be stopping by. ARGH!!! But I asked them to see if he had a green one to replace what melted.

Really? I dose this stuff roughly twice a week and within 48 hours of dosing i have a bloom on the sand and glass. Maybe theres other additives in the nualgi.

jedimasterben

Oh, he's really cool. 4-5" off the sand? What a reach!

Yep, the shell is a good 3.5" or so, and the snout thing can reach another 1-1.5" on top of that.

Really? I dose this stuff roughly twice a week and within 48 hours of dosing i have a bloom on the sand and glass. Maybe theres other additives in the nualgi.

Must be the nanosilica lol. Speaking of Nualgi, I wonder when they're gonna cure ocean acidification like they said they could.

FlowerMama

Dang you have some beauties in there.

Thank you. I love watching them change and grow and move around and just be.

Whoa, shipping for me would be only $17 :)

ya did you buy them all? I would. I want to right now even with 55 shipping. They are in my cart but hoping someone buys them.

I saw that Rare Reef sale too and had to resist. 30% off of only like $30-$35 for ultra rock flowers. Goodness! The shipping fee was the only thing that kept me from ordering a bunch.

hope u had a good 4th! just stumbled upon this sale at RareReef.com. 40% off remaining corals with code "THANKS"

http://rarereef.com/index.php?cPath=78

Shipping is rather high at $55, but they have some pretty nice rock anemones left at $30-35 when I checked (12:10pm CST). That's the price BEFORE 40% off.

For example...

1%20(118).jpg

Hadn't heard of Rare Reef before. I see I'm going to have to add it to my list of websites to browse. :D

FlowerMama

My friends came back from their very short Miami trip. They did stop at VIP Reef. Said nice place, super awesome guy and his wife was also. They got a little tour of the upstairs and downstairs and bought me back a rock flower to replace a green one I lost. They mentioned my name of course and they were both like, Oh yeah, Annette and smiled.

They also said VIP has a gorgeous display tank - Frank likes sps and flowers the best. His display tank has awesome blue sps and stuff. They showed me a quick pic of that display tank. My friends Kristina and David had a hard time picking the rock flowers they wanted because they are all so beautiful. Glad they were able to go. I'll get there at some point.

Also said he had gorgeous cheap ricordeas, and the angler fish they show on the page are awesome.

FlowerMama

Diatoms/algae a little better. I kinda moved my hand over it raking some up and moved it to the 2 front corners. I'll be ordering a clean up crew Fri, had to wait for paycheck. The other feather/stringy algae is gone. I still don't have it figured out for how to take a pic w/ my camera. I had like whites on 50%, 1% blues or something. I'll try brighter next time. But, better than nothing.

008_zps27851167.jpg

026_zps25c1166e.jpg

030_zps629078be.jpg

009_zpsd996d916.jpg

Archived