Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Mr. Microscope

The size of that tank is impressive! I LOVE all the open sandbed.

Good luck battling the baddies there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The size of that tank is impressive! I LOVE all the open sandbed.

Good luck battling the baddies there.

I'm hoping it goes away because I sure hate it in the meantime. Guess I had very subdued diatoms in the other 3 tanks. I don't remember barely any in the mantis tank, little in the Evolve, also not much in the 34. And Kaboom how it seemed to explode in this tank.

I'm hoping it goes away because I sure hate it in the meantime. Guess I had very subdued diatoms in the other 3 tanks. I don't remember barely any in the mantis tank, little in the Evolve, also not much in the 34. And Kaboom how it seemed to explode in this tank.

What about vacuuming most of them out?

What about vacuuming most of them out?

I like that thought but I've never been good at vaccuming sand. As it is I'll have to get a clean up crew so I think I'll do John's 55 g one and call it done along w/ what I already have in there.

001_zps7dc3df86.jpg

002_zps6b48da8c.jpg

I know you are not liking the look right now, but I think it looks pretty cool. Like a real slice of nature with the algae and all :).

I'll be Auntie Annette tomorrow!!! My sister's kids are coming emergency C-section tomorrow 6:30am. boy and girl. The boy flipped himself head up again instead of head down. She lasted 38.5 wks, last weight 2 wks ago was a total of 10 lbs between both babies total so I'll be curious to see what it turns out to be tomorrow. Have no idea about the names. She wouldn't tell anyone.

I'll be Auntie Annette tomorrow!!! My sister's kids are coming emergency C-section tomorrow 6:30am. boy and girl. The boy flipped himself head up again instead of head down. She lasted 18 wks, last weight 2 wks ago was a total of 10 lbs between both babies total so I'll be curious to see what it turns out to be tomorrow. Have no idea about the names. She wouldn't tell anyone.

That's what happened to me. They called it Sunny Side Up :). Discovered this after 3 hours of pushing.... ended with a c-section.

I'm excited for you Auntie Annette!!!!! :)

I know you are not liking the look right now, but I think it looks pretty cool. Like a real slice of nature with the algae and all :).

Maybe one day I'll be able to find out what it looks like in nature, aside from VIP Reef's video. It's on my Bucket List, pick a rock anemone from the ocean. I'll make it happen one day.

That's what happened to me. They called it Sunny Side Up :). Discovered this after 3 hours of pushing.... ended with a c-section.

I'm excited for you Auntie Annette!!!!! :)

Wow, only after pushing they found out? gee whiz. Oh, and I updated my post above it was 38.5 wks, not 18.

Maybe one day I'll be able to find out what it looks like in nature, aside from VIP Reef's video. It's on my Bucket List, pick a rock anemone from the ocean. I'll make it happen one day.

Wow, only after pushing they found out? gee whiz. Oh, and I updated my post above it was 38.5 wks, not 18.

That would be awesome!

Well, maybe you are talking breech? Mine was head up instead of head down, not breech. Just head in the down position but face looking up instead of down. Make sense?

You're going to hate me for suggesting it, but a handful of dwarf hermits would knock out that diatom/crud in no time. In addition to your existing snails I'd guesstimate 8-10 should do it.

John's got a grab bag purchasing option for the cheapest considering the variety you'll get. Mine keep the place spotless in my mandarin tank (yes the one you commented on in Disease & Pest Treatment - it's all better now).

That would be awesome!

Well, maybe you are talking breech? Mine was head up instead of head down, not breech. Just head in the down position but face looking up instead of down. Make sense?

yep, meant breech.

You're going to hate me for suggesting it, but a handful of dwarf hermits would knock out that diatom/crud in no time. In addition to your existing snails I'd guesstimate 8-10 should do it.

John's got a grab bag purchasing option for the cheapest considering the variety you'll get. Mine keep the place spotless in my mandarin tank (yes the one you commented on in Disease & Pest Treatment - it's all better now).

yeah, I'm gonna get a crew soon, can't do it w/ this paycheck on friday but the one after that. I'm glad your tank is doing well. : )

Just found this thread! awesome!! :)

Thanks for joining in.

How's the tank doing?

I only have 2 flowers that are being stubborn, don't know why. There are 17 in there right now, after the WP-25 was turned on they moved around a little bit. The big yellow moved to the front of the tank near a little one. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I kinda picked up some of the algae and moved it to the side. They're eating which is good. I know I need to feed everyday but sometimes I'll do it 2 days in a row, then skip a day then do once and then skip a day and go for another 2 days. I need to make it more regular. My alkalinity is low so I need to raise it. If I raise alkalinity do I also have to raise magnesium? or does each not change the other? I don't have a magnesium test yet. I'm doing another 15 gallon water change tomorrow. Until they all get to be 2.5 to 3 inches there won't be much baby action to talk about.

Nanofreak79

Magnesium is your base to keeping all the others in check. You want your mag in the 1250-1350 range, right abouts. Once your mag is stable or at where you want it, then you adjust the alk and calcium levels. Raise your alk and calcium slowly, maybe a point per week, so 9-10 or whatever your levels are, just an example. I always use more alk than calcium, but it depends on what's using up the calcium. You might not need to adjust your calcium all that much seeing as there's not a lot using it right now. Check your mag first!

What is your alk reading? If you dose alk, you want to dose calcium too. A two-part like B-ionic works great. You should keep an eye on magnesium then too. Just make sure it's in the acceptable range.

Nanofreak79

Oh, and sounds like things are going good! Glad to hear.

I use b ionic too. There not always dosed at the same amounts though.

This is what's going on basically. Calcium is good. Alkalinity is not.

pH 8
Nitrate & phosphate - zero
calcium 460
kH 6

And I have these liquid bottles to me donated from FlCandy months back. And what's great is she was also using them for her 60, of course she has a 40g sump underneath so she wrote on top of the all 1/4 c of week, of course I know I can't go by that.

011_zps0a9df744.jpg

This is what's going on basically. Calcium is good. Alkalinity is not.

pH 8

Nitrate & phosphate - zero

calcium 460

kH 6

I like keeping my alk in the 10-11 dkh range. Zoanthids are happier for me when in that ballpark. Which salt do you use?

The tank was like half Red Sea Coral Pro salt and the other half Reef Crystals instant ocean which I never had an issue w/ it- it cleared up for me faster and mixed better than the Red Sea salt. So now it'll be changes w/ the Reef Crystals.

This is really only the 2nd water change as when I moved the rocks from the 10g I just added clean water when I removed the rocks, then let that cycle and still sit until I got the rock flowers in there so since it had water, this last one was only the 2nd change and of course now I'm on weekly starting this weekend. Could have just depleted slowly on it's own right? I heard alkanity goes down over time and if I didn't have many water changes that makes sense.

The tank was like half Red Sea Coral Pro salt and the other half Reef Crystals instant ocean which I never had an issue w/ it- it cleared up for me faster and mixed better than the Red Sea salt.

I wonder if mixing the two has something to do with the low alk. All you have in there is rock and flowers right?

I used to have cloudy RSCP when I let it sit too long. Now I mix for an hour, sometimes two, and then use it. The water is crystal clear.

Magnesium is your base to keeping all the others in check. You want your mag in the 1250-1350 range, right abouts. Once your mag is stable or at where you want it, then you adjust the alk and calcium levels. Raise your alk and calcium slowly, maybe a point per week, so 9-10 or whatever your levels are, just an example. I always use more alk than calcium, but it depends on what's using up the calcium. You might not need to adjust your calcium all that much seeing as there's not a lot using it right now. Check your mag first!

I'll have to get a mag kit. Who makes a good one?

Archived