Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

yeah, the gsp would totally be a stand alone island that I could trim when necessary, I need something flowy in there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, the gsp would totally be a stand alone island that I could trim when necessary, I need something flowy in there.

That would be one of my first choices, along with any euphyllia. It is so colorful, grows fast, and is virtually indestructible.

Actually worth paying a little for a REALLY neon bright, eye searing specimen on any size. Polyp-arm length will increase with flow! Seen 'em more than an inch long before.

FlowerMama

I put the ball valve on today, getting all excited, and then it was leaking from the bottom where it screws in.

So first I use the white plumbers thread tape. Still leaking from bottom. Of course I'm already pissy.

So, I then also smeared silicone inside and outside on the threads and where it joined at the bottom. I also added silicone where the tubing meets up w/ the adapter even though I didn't see any leaks there- You know because I'm having such a great experience with plumbing!!!

Some 4 hrs later I tried it again and there's still spraying from underneath the silicone where it screws on in 2 places, across from each other. I put more silicone. I'm so frustrated. I returned my PVC glue earlier after work because I wasn't using pvc anymore. I'll let it dry overnight. At least silicone can be removed. Maybe I just need to get a different ball valve, it was the right size but it's just "off" I think.

I had it closed off 1/3 or 1/4. It was definitely flowing better, took longer before it started getting empty in the sump area. If this doesn't work tomorrow do I get some pvc glue or get another ball valve??

001_zps4d90816e.jpg

001_zpsbc0b3876.jpg

FlowerMama

003_zps5e759573.jpg

FINALLY! IT LIVES!!!!!! (can you tell I'm a little excited)- I really felt beaten down by this plumbing. I had to wrap plumber's thread tape as I had strong spraying from the ball valve at the bottom where it meets up w/ the adapter, then still leaked. Siliconed the inside and outside of threads, still leaked, Finally I put even more last night and today I turned down the pump by a good 1/3 and there's almost no spray.

012_zps99748281.jpg

Still have to clean up cables and attach the power supply to the stand w/ velcro, put in the skimmer, and add the ATO but for now I've been letting the top and bottom temps become one to even out. Once it's successfully at 79 then I'll take the top heater out.

I do have diatoms. Think I should just let the diatoms pass and then put the nems in?

I'll probably program my lights tonight. I'll be going as high as 100 during the day on the blues, but the white I'll start out slow and still only end up at like 60% on whites in the end. I just have to feel it out w/ them. I'm so tired but HAPPY!

005_zpsdffafa46.jpg

007_zps080eeebe.jpg

006_zps1596f756.jpg

I put the ball valve on today, getting all excited, and then it was leaking from the bottom where it screws in.

So first I use the white plumbers thread tape. Still leaking from bottom. Of course I'm already pissy.

So, I then also smeared silicone inside and outside on the threads and where it joined at the bottom. I also added silicone where the tubing meets up w/ the adapter even though I didn't see any leaks there- You know because I'm having such a great experience with plumbing!!!

Some 4 hrs later I tried it again and there's still spraying from underneath the silicone where it screws on in 2 places, across from each other. I put more silicone. I'm so frustrated. I returned my PVC glue earlier after work because I wasn't using pvc anymore. I'll let it dry overnight. At least silicone can be removed. Maybe I just need to get a different ball valve, it was the right size but it's just "off" I think.

I had it closed off 1/3 or 1/4. It was definitely flowing better, took longer before it started getting empty in the sump area. If this doesn't work tomorrow do I get some pvc glue or get another ball valve??

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/001_zps4d90816e.jpg.html'>001_zps4d90816e.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/001_zpsbc0b3876.jpg.html'>001_zpsbc0b3876.jpg

Does that ball valve screw onto the pump and does the grey adaptor screw into the ball valve?

Because from the picture the grey adaptor just looks like it's siliconed on?

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/003_zps5e759573.jpg.html'>003_zps5e759573.jpg FINALLY! IT LIVES!!!!!! (can you tell I'm a little excited)- I really felt beaten down by this plumbing. I had to wrap plumber's thread tape as I had strong spraying from the ball valve at the bottom where it meets up w/ the adapter, then still leaked. Siliconed the inside and outside of threads, still leaked, Finally I put even more last night and today I turned down the pump by a good 1/3 and there's almost no spray. http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/012_zps99748281.jpg.html'>012_zps99748281.jpg Still have to clean up cables and attach the power supply to the stand w/ velcro, put in the skimmer, and add the ATO but for now I've been letting the top and bottom temps become one to even out. Once it's successfully at 79 then I'll take the top heater out. I do have diatoms. Think I should just let the diatoms pass and then put the nems in? I'll probably program my lights tonight. I'll be going as high as 100 during the day on the blues, but the white I'll start out slow and still only end up at like 60% on whites in the end. I just have to feel it out w/ them. I'm so tired but HAPPY! http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/005_zpsdffafa46.jpg.html'>005_zpsdffafa46.jpghttp://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/007_zps080eeebe.jpg.html'>007_zps080eeebe.jpghttp://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/006_zps1596f756.jpg.html'>006_zps1596f756.jpg
Last question will your sump hold all the water that will drain down if you have a power outage? Just trying to make sure you won't have any future problems ;).
FlowerMama

Does that ball valve screw onto the pump and does the grey adaptor screw into the ball valve?

Both

Because from the picture the grey adaptor just looks like it's siliconed on?

Last question will your sump hold all the water that will drain down if you have a power outage? Just trying to make sure you won't have any future problems ;).

Yes, the sump holds on the water. The adaptor screwed in, I just put silicone just to make sure because of the luck I had w/ the bottom screwing in and leaking.

I believe the clear tubing will grow algae if you plan on having a light source down there.

Yep, that's why I'm only putting some kind of light like when you go into a closet and need to see. I'm not otherwise having anything down below.

FlowerMama

Congrats!

I don't think you need to wait out the diatoms if your tanks parameters are stable.

Ok, then I'll be placing them in the tank soon. Not tonight, I took a nap, and tomorrow after work I'm busy.

FlowerMama

Here's to show the same thing I bought but it was 1/4" too big. It screwed onto pump and the adapter screwed in too so I couldn't understand why it was spraying so much.

011_zpsff091a39.jpg

and here's the Duct tape I bought if I decide to put any light other than like a closet light - love this tape!

002_zpsd9fffca9.jpg

001_zps821c4a96.jpg

FlowerMama

I just added more silicone, one spot is tight and I can't really get to it but hopefully I smeared it nearby. That is the last fix on that. And turned off the pump and water rose to within 2-2.5" and no more so we're good. The skimmer, ATO, and putting up power supply on wall w/ velcro will occur this weekend. I also am thinking of putting the power box for the Razor behind the stand just IF anything were to happen and water got all over the inside of the stand.

I would love to mimic those flowers on the tape, expand them, and paint them on the wall back there. Really large, 70s, like those bathtub non- slide stickers.

Oh I think some of the pumps have slightly different threads that are Metric or British or something and not standard US size. They are very close and you can actually screw it in fine in most cases but it is still not right. Not sure if this is the case or not but hope it holds for ya.

Nice duct tape! My mom bought my husband Batman duct tape because she thought it was cool... I am afraid to use it all up. :P

Nanofreak79

I used angry birds duct tape for awhile. I used it to ship packages to fellow reefers. I usually use an over abundance of Teflon tape. That usually keeps the threads from leaking.

FlowerMama

Oh I think some of the pumps have slightly different threads that are Metric or British or something and not standard US size. They are very close and you can actually screw it in fine in most cases but it is still not right. Not sure if this is the case or not but hope it holds for ya.

Nice duct tape! My mom bought my husband Batman duct tape because she thought it was cool... I am afraid to use it all up. :P

I used angry birds duct tape for awhile. I used it to ship packages to fellow reefers. I usually use an over abundance of Teflon tape. That usually keeps the threads from leaking.

It was hard to pick! They have so many!! So green for the one going to the sump, flowered for the long one. There was a pretty peacock one too but once I saw the flowers my heart was set. Funny how little things can make you happy.

FlowerMama

I fixed it. Last night's extra silicone completed the mission. No more spraying from the bottom of the screw in ball valve!!!

I just turned it all on. Removed the heater from the display tank. I also put the AC50 in the fuge for increased flow because the middle section is so dense with rock. Maybe later I'll put carbon and then floss on top. Seems like a good place to throw some in.

002_zps067477c6.jpg

003_zps526e6a58.jpg

I just entered my times in on my Razor. Nitrates registered zero.

For sure I will do some adjusting but the Kessil A350W was 100% blue all day except the last hour of the evening. The whites were at 50-75% except turned off the last hour of the evening. I"m going to try this...Unless I hear from here or the Maxspect Razor thread that something should be changed. I'm putting these guys into the tank tomorrow. Currently I will have ..

7:00 0 1
9:00 35 75
12:00 35 75
18:00 35 75
20:00 35 75
22:00 0 1

lnglostsurfer

Can't wait to see them in the tank! Are you going to start with just a few of them to make sure they are happy or are you just going to throw them all in there and force happiness upon them? Haha, I can't imagine anything not being happy in a sexy tank like that though.

FlowerMama

Can't wait to see them in the tank! Are you going to start with just a few of them to make sure they are happy or are you just going to throw them all in there and force happiness upon them? Haha, I can't imagine anything not being happy in a sexy tank like that though.

I have placed 13 in this tank right now. still have 14 in the 34g tank but only want to bring the most colorful so that would be 8-9 more over but they're currently on rocks. The other option is if I'm having too much trouble removing those, I'll just have to get more for downstairs. I want to have like 20 in there to start with. I increased the blues to 100 at some times and increased the whites. Not as bright in there yet as I had it in my 34 but I don't want to go too fast. I did take 3 astreas and put them in the tank. I have 3 small groupings of rock so I put one on each grouping. There's some faint green thin algae growing. I'm hoping the snails will eat it- I'll see how it looks tomorrow. It's even hard to get it in a picture because it's thin.

I hope these nems help me out in the 34. I was thinking of using the baster to blow on them while I try to nudge it off. I have them stuck on 3 rocks, 2 of which have gorgonians glued to them. Ugh. Originally I hadn't thought of breeding so I put some really nice ones on the rock.

I ordered 2 trochus snails so I'll put those in the 34 since I took the astreas out. of the 34.

Can't wait to see them in the tank!

Ditto to this sentiment!

I hope these nems help me out in the 34. I was thinking of using the baster to blow on them while I try to nudge it off. I have them stuck on 3 rocks, 2 of which have gorgonians glued to them. Ugh. Originally I hadn't thought of breeding so I put some really nice ones on the rock.

Ugh, yeah I'm going to be facing the same dilemma when I start stocking my 24. What my thoughts are for me to try:

• gently blast (is that an oxymoron?) the nems with a small powerhead
  • shade the nem from light
  • use an RO/DI icecube on the foot
  • take the rock out of the tank and hang it upside-down

And if all else fails... just move the whole rock over to the 24. ;)

Just buy a bunch of new ones ;):lol:. They look so pretty in the 34 anyways. But if you can get them out, that's great too :).

FlowerMama

Ditto to this sentiment!

Ugh, yeah I'm going to be facing the same dilemma when I start stocking my 24. What my thoughts are for me to try:

• gently blast (is that an oxymoron?) the nems with a small powerhead
  • shade the nem from light
  • use an RO/DI icecube on the foot
  • take the rock out of the tank and hang it upside-down

And if all else fails... just move the whole rock over to the 24. ;)

I'm going to go make some RODI ice cubes- I'll have to be creative and see what I can use to make ice, have no trays as it has an icemaker If not I'll have to leave them as they are, let them move around on the rock in the 34 and when they're unhappy they'll move. I've never had one move off the rock to go be on the sand.

FlowerMama

Just buy a bunch of new ones ;):lol:. They look so pretty in the 34 anyways. But if you can get them out, that's great too :).

Ha, I just did along w/ 2 trochus snails. I'm so bad. At minimum I wanted to get the latest one you liked off the side of the rock, the psychedelic 2 tone green and the peach and rainbow.

After I had a pink outside on the little nem 2 wks ago, I need more pink!

DSC_0248_zpsb07b469d.jpg

Love the blue look on this.

DSC_2581_zps0f9451c4.jpg

I love the white on the outside of this orange.

DSC_2651_zpsde154ca6.jpg

I hope to have pics tomorrow. No that I've gotten better at taking pics in the 34, I'm needing to learn how to take them in the breeder. I might just have to turn the blues way down to take the pics and try the landscape setting.

Ha, I just did along w/ 2 trochus snails. I'm so bad. At minimum I wanted to get the latest one you liked off the side of the rock, the psychedelic 2 tone green and the peach and rainbow.

After I had a pink outside on the little nem 2 wks ago, I need more pink!

DSC_0248_zpsb07b469d.jpg

Love the blue look on this.

DSC_2581_zps0f9451c4.jpg

I love the white on the outside of this orange.

DSC_2651_zpsde154ca6.jpg

I hope to have pics tomorrow. No that I've gotten better at taking pics in the 34, I'm needing to learn how to take them in the breeder. I might just have to turn the blues way down to take the pics and try the landscape setting.

More beauties :). I placed an order with KPA this week. Two emerald crabs, 1 fighting conch, and a yellow ball sponge. I was good and didn't order any flowers. They don't really have any colorful ones right now anyways.

Archived