Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Did VIP have a Memorial Day sale? Those nems :wub:.

Nah, I ordered them the week before last but I didn't notice he sent me an email asking when I wanted them, so I was behind. They didn't have a sale but these were all mid-grade price so not bad. I find myself mostly going mid-grade.

have you seen the rock nems from ReefGardner.net? I am buying a few maxi mini and saw a couple of nice rock flowers on her site:

http://www.reefgardener.net/products.php?product=Highlighter-Rock-Flower-Anemone

http://www.reefgardener.net/products.php?product=Toxic-Snow-Flower-Rock-Anemone

Those ARE pretty...you should nab 'em. Pretty much I"m basically done. I can't afford to buy anything else, just necessities like food now for these guys is the next thing I'll have to do. I'm good w/ cyclopeeze, still have some Fish Frenzy, and I have frozen mysis I think coming this week in the mail- a huge frozen pack.

FlowerMama

I like the looks of the mid-grades better anyways, for the most part.

2021 is gorgeous but I think I have the sister to that one right now. They look like they came from the same parent. That one is more peppermint online though.

Anemone delivery! Nice! I'm excited for you for tomorrow. Though I'm also excited for you in a few weeks time because it is always interesting how their colors change as they settle in.

I've been eyeing 2355, but there really isn't any way I can swing it right now space-wise. As it is, I have a $5 RFA I picked up on Saltcritters live sale coming tomorrow. Will be interesting fitting all that in the tank.

Speaking of Saltcritters, are you getting your St. T Mushroom tomorrow?

FlowerMama

Anemone delivery! Nice! I'm excited for you for tomorrow. Though I'm also excited for you in a few weeks time because it is always interesting how their colors change as they settle in.

I've been eyeing 2355, but there really isn't any way I can swing it right now space-wise. As it is, I have a $5 RFA I picked up on Saltcritters live sale coming tomorrow. Will be interesting fitting all that in the tank.

Speaking of Saltcritters, are you getting your St. T Mushroom tomorrow?

nope, arriving on Friday. I emailed back to make sure because it was going out Thurs. I wonder how many he had because I thought for sure they would be gone. This is the first time they've had any since I've ordered from them since first quarter 2013.

Yeah, you'll soon be out of room like Gena! My first one ever was a Saltcritters nem. It was totally bleached white but turned out to be a mama of all things. Think I paid like $5 or something stupid. My very first order from them was crazy. Everything was like $5-9.99. He's definitely expanding into a greater variety of corals.

I wonder how many he had because I thought for sure they would be gone.

He said they had a total of 20 of those pretty orange St. T shrooms at the start of the sale.

FlowerMama

No call to say my glass was done today. Still waiting.

And... waiting for these to acclimate!!! This is one thing I love about rock flowers. I don't personally know if there's another invert that normally looks rather unflattering but when placed into the tank says "HELLO WORLD!!!" and is so colorful. I AM addicted to that process. It's just an awakening, a rejuvenation, that I specifically needed this week because I have been extremely emotional and then feeling nauseas because Sun will be 2 yrs my husband passed. And at the same time the big guy upstairs has done something to put a happier spin on 6/1.....this neat thing- my sister is expecting fraternals- boy and girl- and she may be having a C-section this weekend. I don't believe in coincidences. I'll be an Auntie for the first time for two at once!

002_zps3d90f390.jpg

FlowerMama

I know nothing about the acclimation of carpets. But with rock flower nems, I temp acclimate and then let them sit on the styrofoam to let them purge the dirtier bag water for a couple mins and then I can put them immediately onto the sand or hold them down for like 40 sec on a rock and it'll begin to take hold.

I know nothing about the acclimation of carpets. But with rock flower nems, I temp acclimate and then let them sit on the styrofoam to let them purge the dirtier bag water for a couple mins and then I can put them immediately onto the sand or hold them down for like 40 sec on a rock and it'll begin to take hold.

ooo, so no need to drip acclimation or mixing old water with new water. easier than i thought! i think all nems should be the same with acclimation...

FlowerMama

ooo, so no need to drip acclimation or mixing old water with new water. easier than i thought! i think all nems should be the same with acclimation...

I truly have no idea about those so the acclimation could be totally different. I wouldn't quote me though, that's just what I was told for rock flowers specifically from VIP Reef.

Mmm nice nems! I look forward to seeing them settle.

I'll definitely be thinking about you and your sister on Sunday. I'm with Gena, I don't believe in coincidence either.

FlowerMama

Fixed the baffles! They'll be ready for me to check tomorrow if water holds on each side. Just expect it flipped around so the bigger side is on the left for the skimmer, heater. I just got the filter sock the other day and the holder. I didn't realize it was that big. Going to have to figure out how I'm putting that in there now.

044_zpsc78414dc.jpg

FlowerMama

Nice to see progress on your sump!

Thank you. Had to go back to the hardware store because the silicone I had wasn't sealed tightly and it was one big dried up glob of silicone! This evening I'll look at the plumbing stuff I have. Find the little saw and at least guess and cut the 3/4" and 1" pvc.

FlowerMama

No call to say my glass was done today. Still waiting.

And... waiting for these to acclimate!!! This is one thing I love about rock flowers. I don't personally know if there's another invert that normally looks rather unflattering but when placed into the tank says "HELLO WORLD!!!" and is so colorful. I AM addicted to that process. It's just an awakening, a rejuvenation, that I specifically needed this week because I have been extremely emotional and then feeling nauseas because Sun will be 2 yrs my husband passed. And at the same time the big guy upstairs has done something to put a happier spin on 6/1.....this neat thing- my sister is expecting fraternals- boy and girl- and she may be having a C-section this weekend. I don't believe in coincidences. I'll be an Auntie for the first time for two at once!

002_zps3d90f390.jpg

Ok, here they are after acclimation from when I received them Thursday! Wish the 3rd one would open up so I can see it's middle section more, I see yellow and white, just like the pic but I want to see its pink mouth. One thing I can always count on is VIPReef's nems to look like their pics. Just excited about all my breeders getting bigger!!

1.5"

047_zps040113b0.jpg

1"

052_zpsb69f277d.jpg

1"

053_zps4c02207a.jpg

1.75'

022_zps7f14d5e3.jpg

FlowerMama

Working on plumbing. Is this what the large bulkhead section is to look like?

001_zpsab66d050.jpg

And I still have to glue the 1" PVC for underneath right, before it becomes 1" tubing again to the return pump.

FlowerMama

ok, it is NOT easy, even w/ boiling water or blow dryer to stretch the 1" vinyl tubing over the 1" PVC. Still working on plumbing, been doing on/off today. I've been distracted with it being the 2 yr anniversary of my husband's passing but I've been doing this so I could try to stay distracted.

JoeDigiorgio

Following! How did I not see this thread before?! I'm doing exactly what you're doing! I've got about 14 nems of different varieties in my Caribbean reef biotope. No filtration beyond water changes and macroalgaes in mine because idk if a skimmer will hinder fertilization.

I'll get some pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

Archived