SaltCritters.com

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79
Thanks guys. Yep, green tipped bananas totally! So w/ you on that Mirya. Gena, yeah, Cherry Garcia was also on my mind. Men and mints? hm. Don loved chocolate!! Boy he was happy the day after Halloween and Easter. We'd go to Walgreen's to get the discounted chocolate. Um, spots on bananas.......never a good thing!
Just had the wife pick up junior mints at walgreens. Yum yum...

Yep! and number 8 and number 2!!! Stayed at my parents most of last week- mom had Nutella and some kind of Mocha chocolate spread. Danger!!!
Why does everyone like Nutella? I can't get into it.
FlowerMama

Gena or anyone w/ the Reef Octopus WNB 4"? I have a question about this skimmer, ok, a couple.

I'm slightly putting the skimmer together to see how much I have to section off on the bottom for the glass baffles. Why are there 2 different length and width hoses for the clear narrow plastic cup? I missed something in this 1 pg picture/instructions page.

So the pump just kinda floats in the water an inch from the bottom of the sump if I'm reading this correctly once its screwed in?

Lastly, the 20g is only 12.5 high and it says the sump water level should be 7-7.9" so.....never having done a sump like this, it's already it's going to be a short area to begin with so does that mean the rest of the areas end up short too?

It was a very different procedure with the 34 and the overflow there.

Before the pump I'll have a section with pond matrix on the bottom and denitrate on top w/ an inch space under the baffle for foam or something so the water has to get pulled through those things before before it goes up & over to fall into the pump area to leave. I'm still wondering where I'm putting rock in this 20 that is 30 long. 4.5" for the pump and then looks like 9" minimum for the skimmer and heater so I'm running out of room already. AARGH! Down to like 16.5 and have to acct for 1/4" everywhere I have a divider.

So I have 16.5" roughly for rock, pond matrix and denitrate. Not sure how to do this. I do know I don't have a problem w/ putting some of this 27lbs of rock in the corners of my tank but not too much.

I"m gonna go to the beginning of your thread and see if I can find a picture or something.

FlowerMama

Is that just the minimum the water has to be? So it can be higher, but it can't be lower, is that right?

I'm not following on a couple of the questions but yes, the pump does sit above the bottom of your sump once it's screwed into place. I'll have to read your questions about 10 more times and then maybe I'll understand. It's been a long day :lol:.

BTW...picked up two new flavors of Ben & Jerry's today :lol:.

Is that just the minimum the water has to be? So it can be higher, but it can't be lower, is that right?

My water level is about 10" in the sump where the skimmer sits.

I just noticed you have this thread in the equipment forum. That's why I never can find it :lol:. Why don't you have it in members tank forum?

FlowerMama

I'm not following on a couple of the questions but yes, the pump does sit above the bottom of your sump once it's screwed into place. I'll have to read your questions about 10 more times and then maybe I'll understand. It's been a long day :lol:.

BTW...picked up two new flavors of Ben & Jerry's today :lol:.

My water level is about 10" in the sump where the skimmer sits.

Ok, ty, that helped knowing about the height. I just got 2 sizes of the white tube that goes into the little clear cup and I don't know why there are 2.

Good because I have 2 pieces of glass right now that are 9.5" high so that can be the first baffle, then I'll let the water fall into rock I suppose or maybe pond matrix or Denitrate or both before the water exits into the outflow pump.

Ok, ty, that helped knowing about the height. I just got 2 sizes of the white tube that goes into the little clear cup and I don't know why there are 2.

Ohhhhhh...ok. Wasn't sure what tube you were talking about!!!! I wonder why you have two? I think they just sent me one!
FlowerMama

Ohhhhhh...ok. Wasn't sure what tube you were talking about!!!! I wonder why you have two? I think they just sent me one!

Weird! And the left one is 4" shorter than the other. And I found your sump pics on like pg 11 or 12 or something.

001_zps97a83dd2.jpg

Nanofreak79

Usually those are for the drain. You could have gotten a random two. I have t used an octopus skimmer for a bit. I know the one your talking about though.

FlowerMama

Usually those are for the drain. You could have gotten a random two. I have t used an octopus skimmer for a bit. I know the one your talking about though.

It hooks to the silencer.

Which part is the silencer??? :lol: I guess I don't know my skimmer very well...not surprised :D.
FlowerMama

Which part is the silencer??? :lol: I guess I don't know my skimmer very well...not surprised :D.

Ha. I'll get a pic here in a moment. :rolleyes:

FlowerMama

New items came in for the tank today.

004_zpsfc0b0fe9.jpg

005_zps4d25ab3f.jpg

and LOOK MA!!! No more ammonia!!! So 2 wks ago 27lbs of live uncured rock went into a 10g, a week ago I registered Ammonia and today I have no ammonia. Of course I did move it out of the 10 into a 20g Brute, and removed 75% of the water and put new since it was so concentrated in the 10g.

A week ago....

001_zps05f023e5.jpg

now!

003_zpsa5aab701.jpg

bdevillier19

We all know we only eat that ice cream for the Omega Fats in walnuts and the potassium in bananas!!!!

That is the best excuse to eat ice cream ever!

FlowerMama

Now just have to get rid of all the nitrite.

Yeah, and now that I've decided to use sand after all, is it best for me to go with live sand and probably go through some cycling again, or go to a home improvement store and get white sand? and just put those rocks on the sand at first while I'm waiting for more cycling?

Still deciding whether I want just the clear vinyl tubing because I'm not going to have a light on below. Do I still need a light there if I'm not going to do macro algae and just have some rock and Matrix down there?

Yeah, and now that I've decided to use sand after all, is it best for me to go with live sand and probably go through some cycling again, or go to a home improvement store and get white sand? and just put those rocks on the sand at first while I'm waiting for more cycling?

Still deciding whether I want just the clear vinyl tubing because I'm not going to have a light on below. Do I still need a light there if I'm not going to do macro algae and just have some rock and Matrix down there?

i prefer live sand or done aquarium sand. Last time i used hardware store sands it was supposed to be quartz based but still had silica. Diatoms everywhere always.
FlowerMama

i prefer live sand or done aquarium sand. Last time i used hardware store sands it was supposed to be quartz based but still had silica. Diatoms everywhere always.

I was wondering about silica too. Ok, live sand it is.

You use both hoses for that? I thought I only used one. I'll have to look again.

Ha, yep, that's what I'm saying- I only see one use for it but they gave 2 different diameter and length hoses for that? Ok, so I'm rightfully confused. Good! :blink:

Nanofreak79

One should be for the airline, the other for the drain line. That's how every skimmer, including the octos, have had both.

Archived