Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Whoopey! I got wet last night.

Only 2" more to the overflow so I can't add but 1.5" tomorrow. When I get my glass I'll start on the sump.

I stood back. Truthfully my eyes watered :tears: and I got emotional thinking how much I loved it already and felt grateful that regular folks could get shallow tanks, not just those selling in the LFS or online in the industry. It's a thing of beauty already. I'm ecstatic omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

l would've wanted to share it with my best friend & spouse Don. It's just another beginning without him. I know I should be getting used to this by now but folks, you don't. You don't get used to not having them around. You feel like they're away on a business trip or something, it's just excessively long.

I'm getting closer to coming to terms with what I want as a tattoo. And when people say think about it for a loooooong time before you decide, they're correct. My first thought was more sad. 2 years later now I'm thinking of a Lily from the wedding flowers Don bought me and then it somehow morphs into a rock flower anemone. Symbolize past and present/future.

Lordy I love this tank! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

A Whites/Blues Bluish

0/100

003_zps2652ba42.jpg

100/0 Purplish

012_zps9ac38a43.jpg

100/100 Whoa Mama I need some shades!!!!

007_zps24c46030.jpg

75/100

006_zps8300524e.jpg

25/100

010_zpsdc2cae8c.jpg

Had to share again on this page!

Looking good! I'm falling behind on the rock flower game :), gotta get my breeding tank up ASAP so we're on the same schedule!

Looks awesome. Snort at the SNORT :D.

Guess what???? My grocery store DOES carry Americone Dream. I saw it today :).

FlowerMama

Looking good! I'm falling behind on the rock flower game :), gotta get my breeding tank up ASAP so we're on the same schedule!

Well, I don't have any plumbing going down below yet and I put a different heater in there after I put the already 76 degree water in there and it broke, temp went down to 70, hoping all the bacteria will be fine. I put the Cobalt in an hour ago. I"m really looking forward to seeing the progress on our tanks. I'm thrilled for both of us. Now I have to feed some more of these guys.

FlowerMama

Looks awesome. Snort at the SNORT :D.

Guess what???? My grocery store DOES carry Americone Dream. I saw it today :).

I've never tried that one yet! I had some Toffee Coffee last night- they said pieces of toffee- each piece was like over an inch big, I would've preferred the pieces been the size of peanut M&Ms or something but the flavor was sure there!

And guess what? I found I have a landscape mode but just never used it before so all of those shots I did in landscape mode last night and today. Still learning.

I've never tried that one yet! I had some Toffee Coffee last night- they said pieces of toffee- each piece was like over an inch big, I would've preferred the pieces been the size of peanut M&Ms or something but the flavor was sure there!

And guess what? I found I have a landscape mode but just never used it before so all of those shots I did in landscape mode last night and today. Still learning.

I saw your toffee coffee today and another toffee one too that sounded good. I saw a few that sounded good, but didn't buy any. We need to eat up the ones we already have :lol:.

Landscape mode always works for me the best. I don't have to do any color correction at all when I use it :).

FlowerMama

YOU will not fall behind because you have already the great educational background in biology that I certainly lack, you live in an area where you've basically watched these things grow and boy am I jealous that you can just skip/hop on over to see VIPs nems!! And you already have an awesome nem that is spawning consistently- I had no idea they could spawn that often. I thought it was just a fall and spring deal.

I just added another 5 gallon bucket of water but I have to order another 20lb bag of sand. I'm hoping to start building my sump/fuge this weekend. And aside from the sand, I realized I'm outta salt. I have to go order that now too and see if I can get it before the weekend or I won't be doing any water changes but in the 8 gallon Evolve tank and I did not get to a water change on any of the other 3 tanks this last weekend so they are due!

I need to go online and buy a large frozen pack of PE Mysis. I got a dual pack of the mysis/cyclopeeze but I have so much cyclopeeze left in coparison.

FlowerMama

I pick up my remaining 2 pieces of glass tomorrow so I'm going to have to research some more so I can create the sump. It's the height I'm having to figure out for the baffles holding back the matrix and then exiting into the pump return. And I know I was told keep the last section wider. But so far it looks like it defintely will be 3 sections. First, heater & part-time skimmer then under over with some floss maybe and then water falls into the middle section for the pond matrix/denitrate (then again it may not be necessary to put that even just quite yet) then through sponge then up & over into the pump section w/ ATO. Pretty basic I'm sure. At some point I'll put up the power strip w/ the velcro. I have to get under there and see what cords I can put through some already cut holes in the back. ATO reserve bucket on the right side. Oh yeah, I need to drill the holes for that and the the one for my 34. Blah blah blah.

I will though move the rocks into their respective corners and single row back wall- place to put some red macro in the corners. If it looks like too much I can take some out and sell it to a fishy friend here. I could forget back row altogether and just put the two long sides. SInce it'll be just nems in the center, it's not necessary for me to decide right now if I need to take off the lenses or not. All I know is there is plenty of light and while in the pic it looks like it's most in the center, my eyes do not see it that way- they are uniformly lit across the entire 48 inches. I do have a ceiling light on so maybe that's it.

030_zpsedb5c423.jpg

FlowerMama

Not sure but my Cobalt 200 may be broken. It's still reading only 76 and I had it set it on 80 when it wouldn't get past that. I now put it to 84. I know it's cold in the basement and there's no lid on the tank but if I can get to 80 even if I have to set it to 85 I'll be happy. Upstairs it is 70 but in the basement I have no vents open. The cool air here certainly goes to the basement but seems to me this heater built for 200 should be able to handle 60 g. I put a thermometer down there to see what it reads. It could honestly be 62-65 down there.

Anybody else have a cold basement that they can confirm if this is normal for the heater? Is it just because of the surface area? I also turned off the ceiling fan. We'll see in 30 mins what the room is reading.

004_zpsc54fcd99.jpg

After this clear scene I put the bag of sand in and moved the rocks to the corners, and back to see if I like it. SO, no longer clear anymore.

FlowerMama

I just emailed Amazon to see if they will send me a replacement as I hear the heating elements have been faulty per some other posts. I know it's past the typical point but it is a known issue so hopefully it will help. Going now to put my spare cheapo heater in there.

FlowerMama

Cool, so I asked for a replacement but Amazon is doing a credit back for the $54 to my card. And I'll be looking for one otherwise. Just went to Petsmart and got a 200W Aqueon and put it on 80 at roughly 8pm, I'll check every 2 hrs tonight and see where I'm at. I was at 72. At this point, anything is better than 72. Glad there were no livestock in there. I turned off the fan. Lots of evap in one night. Half an inch. Temperature in the basement is 68- I'll see what it says in a few.

FlowerMama

Well, 2 hrs later the tank is 2 degrees warmer at 74 and it's now 67 in the basement. The Aqueon is just until I buy Cobalt 200W again. If I can get to 76 by midnight and that's as high as it'll go when I set it to 80, then I'll try 82. I don't want to put it on high and bust it in a week.

That tank is huge!!! And so awesome. What's your outside air temp like lately? I freeze if the indoor temperature is anything below 72 degrees.

FlowerMama

Indoor upstairs is 71. And outside it is 68. It was 82 today but the low today was 52 and that was in the morning. So, we still are rather cool. Next 4 days we're looking at highs from 78-84 and mornings 53-59.

FlowerMama

That tank is huge!!! And so awesome. What's your outside air temp like lately? I freeze if the indoor temperature is anything below 72 degrees.

Yeah, I think because of the coolness downstairs and the large surface area of 4 ft x 2 ft that's what's doing it but the Aqueon at least showed me that the Cobalt Aquatics 200W had to have been broken.

Are you running A/C or is it still cold outside?

AC on 72 when I leave the house.

Haha. When I go downstairs I feel like I'm going to an LFS but it'll have more than any lfs here. There are only 2 in Asheville and one is more fish, maybe a few condy anemones. The other is the one I had to order the tank through. My 34 has nicer looking pieces and colors than anything she has in there.

FlowerMama

love the dimension of this tank! your rock anemones will look soooo good in top down shots

Thanks, Once you see one in your own home, you don't want another size, except just another one perhaps. Yeah, I can't wait to view the rock nems like that. You think I'm excited now, wait till I have some babies!). I'll be screaming.

I honestly have more fun looking at threads than being tied to the tv, now I do watch Ink Master and the cover-up show though and I'm thinking out a tattoo for myself like I said. There's a girl at work who's going to get a saltwater sleave, 3 peeps at my workplace have tattoos by this guy, and he also owned saltwater reef tanks so that's a plus.

Probably won't happen until next year's tax refund comes.

I thought about it too, I can remove a couple purple/pink coraline rocks from my Evolve and replace them w/ a couple clean ones. I really have to move the one because it has pretty gsp on it but I want it to stop climbing up to my zoas so I need a different bottom piece to hold up the Evolve 8 structure. I'll put my gsp rock in there as an accent out in the middle of nowhere :lol: Ha- it's so expansive..

FlowerMama

Looks cool Annette! Cannot wait to it stocked with some corals. David

ME TOO!!!!! yeah, i'm thrilled. I'll get snails and just trying to think which would be the best because their poop is going to be slimy stringy so I don't know that I need nassarius as I hand feed each nem anyway with the large metal tweezers. I see my regular size Ceriths do go on the walls of my 34 only when the light is off, Im just not a fan of them because they're dark, and looks like someone left presents on white sand.

I was thinking I could get a couple strawberry crabs to clean off the rock in there. I was looking at Blue Zoo Aquatics and noticed how pretty they were. I can put a small pencil urchin from my 34 and it can also keep the rock clean for biological filtration.

What about 2 shrimp?. What kind? It would be nice just to have a couple things to scope out the rocks and clean, you know? Something for motion.

Some astreas for the rocks too. Any suggestions?

Archived