Coral Vue Hydros

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

Since I don't have some key items like the outlet strip, GFCI plug, sand, ATO, Pond and Denitrate or 20g sump/fuge baffled I'll have some time. As long as my ammonia goes down every couple of days I'll be fine, right?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Yeah, it'll be fine.

I decided I am going to use the skimmer I bought because there are daily feedings as opposed to not enough spawnings and if they're stressed there won't be any baby action spawning to begin with. I'm thinking just put the skimmer on a $5 timer. Skim at night perhaps. The only video I saw was a spawn during the day and I thought I heard someone say they do in the evening 5/6ish. And I know I have to feed them daily. Since they spew like zoas when they poop I don't want that in the water. And I'll have snails.

Does a butterscotch snail aerate and clean the sand like a conch does? I recently bought one for my 34 and he immediately buried himself. The sea cucumber I haven't seen since I got him a week ago either so I hope he's doing his thing in the sand there as well.

frankdontsurf

Ben has a algae scrubber. Just search for "algae scrubber for reef". If you're spot feeding chunks of silversides dusted with cyclopeeze I don't see why you would need a skimmer. A good fuge-sump should suffice. Use a piece of filter mesh as a prefilter on your overflow maybe?

Black sand is nice.

I am very excited. Tank and stand look great totally worth the wait.

FlowerMama

Ben has a algae scrubber. Just search for "algae scrubber for reef". If you're spot feeding chunks of silversides dusted with cyclopeeze I don't see why you would need a skimmer. A good fuge-sump should suffice. Use a piece of filter mesh as a prefilter on your overflow maybe?

Black sand is nice.

I am very excited. Tank and stand look great totally worth the wait.

I like your idea of putting a piece of filter mesh as a prefilter on the overflow- could keep the spawn out maybe while still allowing the gunk to go through.

I'm thinking white sand instead of black because of sharpness of the black sand. I also want something to reflect the light. But...I wouldn't be against taking some black sand and putting it in a container and taking a pic of the flower to display it that way.

They'd get Cyclopeeze, PE Mysis and Larry's Fish Frenzy and that's really clean food. As well as some liquid items like Phyto and Oyster Feast, esp those little babies. I figure these things are still going to poop so I will definitely have ammonia- I'll have to feed daily.

FlowerMama

New tank is awesome. Definitely a upgrade!!

Thanks, I'm thrilled. A little overwhelmed, it's so big- water changes will stink down 14 stairs to the basement w/ 5 gallon buckets filled to 4 gallons to do it at a time.

I hope one day I can say I have Flower Frenzy!!!

Thanks, I'm thrilled. A little overwhelmed, it's so big- water changes will stink down 14 stairs to the basement w/ 5 gallon buckets filled to 4 gallons to do it at a time.

I hope one day I can say I have Flower Frenzy!!!

Why the tank in the basement? Absolutely no where it can go in the house? That's a really nice tank to have stuck in the basement. :(

Between the sleek rimless tank and razor, and the awesome nems, that thing should be a proper display!

FlowerMama

Well, I already have 3 tanks in the living room- the Evolve 8, and the 34 and a freshwater 55. The 20g Mantis tank for my girlies is in the kitchen!

You come in and immediately to your right is the 34 then 8 ft away is the 55 in the near distance only separated by a tv.

001_zpsb71877f8.jpg

Then to the left of the 55 is the Evolve 8.

021_zps0248a61b.jpg

Then 3 ft to the right of my arm chair is the Mantis tank.

022_zps706f8044.jpg

I rent but no room upstairs anymore! And after the treadmill!

002_zps161a90a7.jpg

This is the room it's in, like an office space.

013_zps4f5895ab.jpg

FlowerMama

How did I get so behind here???? OMG...love the new tank!!!!! Is that the same tank Randi has?

Ah, there you are! Lawnman was wondering where you were when he checked your thread! Sure is, same size.

I feel bad though- I damaged some rock flowers when I took lime and made it into a little pasty ball w/ water to smash on top of about 4 aptasia, the kalk floated around a little and landed on several flowers and burned them like acid. :( I'm pretty sure they'll heal but I feel awfully bad but I'm hoping I got the aptasia for sure. It also landed on that bright yellow one too. Aargh. I had the pump turned off too. Once that happened also w/ some Aptasia Rx on a mushroom.

Then I don't know if the one I just got will make it. The bulbous white in the center? That one attached to the back of a starry snail, I gently pulled it back but I got a couple tentacles torn. It looks small, like a dime and mangled, unhappy - it was slightly larger than a half dollar and I had to quick remove some nassarius as they were going towards it and I don't want it to become food.

I did though hear from my lfs how you remove RFAs once they've made one w/ the bottom of the tank- a credit card or driver's license slid underneath carefully.

Ah, there you are! Lawnman was wondering where you were when he checked your thread! Sure is, same size.

I feel bad though- I damaged some rock flowers when I took lime and made it into a little pasty ball w/ water to smash on top of about 4 aptasia, the kalk floated around a little and landed on several flowers and burned them like acid. :( I'm pretty sure they'll heal but I feel awfully bad but I'm hoping I got the aptasia for sure. It also landed on that bright yellow one too. Aargh. I had the pump turned off too. Once that happened also w/ some Aptasia Rx on a mushroom.

Then I don't know if the one I just got will make it. The bulbous white in the center? That one attached to the back of a starry snail, I gently pulled it back but I got a couple tentacles torn. It looks small, like a dime and mangled, unhappy - it was slightly larger than a half dollar and I had to quick remove some nassarius as they were going towards it and I don't want it to become food.

I did though hear from my lfs how you remove RFAs once they've made one w/ the bottom of the tank- a credit card or driver's license slid underneath carefully.

Eeesh...sounds like a rough go at getting rid of aptasia!!!! I never liked using AptasiaX because I ran into the same problems. The juice flowed onto things I didn't want it to go on. I hope they'll all be ok!!!!!!

I saw that in my thread. Now he's not around :(.

FlowerMama

Eeesh...sounds like a rough go at getting rid of aptasia!!!! I never liked using AptasiaX because I ran into the same problems. The juice flowed onto things I didn't want it to go on. I hope they'll all be ok!!!!!!

I saw that in my thread. Now he's not around :(.

I'm hoping I killed them and their spawn from Satan so I don't have to do it again. By then though the flowers will be rehomed. Now soon I'll just have to have Randi's honey come over and put my lights up. I'm gonna have to do that before little Keira comes into this world!

I'm hoping I killed them and their spawn from Satan so I don't have to do it again. By then though the flowers will be rehomed. Now soon I'll just have to have Randi's honey come over and put my lights up. I'm gonna have to do that before little Keira comes into this world!

I never had any luck killing them off. They'd be gone for a couple of weeks and then come right back out. I think if you don't melt every single bit of flesh they can regenerate. I've been lucky and not had any aptasia in neither the 45g nor the 8g (knocking on wood).
FlowerMama

Hey Gena, I thought of you several days ago when I saw that blue and green st thomas on KPAs site. It's pretty.

FlowerMama

Yeah, I do too, sometimes I don't see it til it's like a cm and then I kill it. Hope I do anyway. I hate the ones that aren't facing you so you don't see them until later.

Nanofreak79

I always super glue over the aptasia. I only get them form frags, so it's easy to keep in check. Aptasia x is a messy treatment.

FlowerMama

They're really pretty when they get about three inches wide.

Are you meaning the aptasia are pretty or the RFAs??? Ha.

Are you meaning the aptasia are pretty or the RFAs??? Ha.

He's probably talking aptasia. Lol.

Cant it be both?

Archived