Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice are you feeding the babies?

Yes. trying. Some days it's just photofeast or oysterfeast in the water for the gorgs and everything else. Other times, I try to get it a tiny piece of mysis or a mini pellet but when the mama puts her skirt down, the tentacles wrap over and under and grab it away. I'm hoping it moves away from her skirt soon.

Enlarged pic.

057_zps54e4b781.jpg

I wonder what they actually get to eat if they're always hiding under there? poop?

The Ugly Ducking article did indicate that they come out from under and later kinda find each other & settle into groups. Maybe it'll eventually do that and trek into the light where she'll have a chance at floating things.

Just made a major purchase!!! Not much refund left to work with but the large items are out of the way.

Reef Octopus NWB110 4”
Maxspect Razor 160W 27"
Tunze Osmolator 3155

After the snafu with the tank and stand, those items and these should all arrive this week.

Just purchased the WP25 since I've been very happy w/ it in my 34. It'll be perfect for the 45g since I have to have it on the lowest setting in my 34 because it's powerful.

Also bought the Cobalt 200W. It was only $7 more on Amazon to go from 150 to 200. I don't heat the basement in winter and summer is cool.

At this point I have money for live uncured rock and a return pump and that's it. Then tax money is gone but it has helped me buy all of the following: tank, stand, lid, light, skimmer, ATO, heater, Jebao pump, and plastic containers for babies.

I'm pleased. I wouldn't have been able to do this otherwise.

Next to do::

1. Buy return pump. I still have 9.5' of 3/4" tubing left from previous 34 build for return line.
  2. Measure & order 3 pieces of glass for baffles. Think I'll just have 2 dividing heater & skimmer from rock, then one piece to separate return pump.
  3. Silicone the sump.
  4. Hang the light from basement ceiling
  5. buy Seachem Matrix Media and substrate (still debating).
  6. whatever container I need to buy for the Tunze Osmolator
  7. Live Uncured Rock from KPA

Why not go with dead rock in this set-up? I know the KPA live rock is pretty cool, but going with dead rock would save a good chunk of money and avoid unwanted hitchhikers in what is essentially a nursery set-up. You have plenty of time to seed some dead rock, and you could even use some rock from one of your existing set-ups to kick start the process.

I used Reef Cleaners for my rock and was very pleased. $95 for 50 lb of rock with shipping included in the price is hard to beat!

One of my LFSs uses some sort of ceramic/stone/cement pellets for the are that they store the anemones. It kinda looks like this:

large-ceramic-pellets.jpg

I think they are like 2 inches max.

But anyway, I think that something this size/shape would be good for filtration and also for easily removing any anemones that are attached to them, since the pellets are much smaller than what is conventionally used.

Or you could just take a hammer to the rock to make it smaller lol

I just spoke w/ someone that's had their Tunze now for 6 yrs running. I think there's my answer. That's longevity and reliability right there.

I have an autotop off I got used about 5 years ago and it is is still working. I think she had it for 3 she said. I have have never had a problem with it. It is the double float in sump one. The only time I had a problem was when I cleaned my sump and left the tube going into the sump out and on the floor. that was operator error. I have one in my 40 breeder I got used as well. it works perfectly no operator errors so far.

Just to give you an alternative to the reef octopus skimmer check this one out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CML49CK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2LXPZNFZY6Q0Q&coliid=I272TPLE3MNXUT I love mine in my 49 and probably next month with my reef budget I will get one for my 60 I have an older reef octopus on that.

One of my LFSs uses some sort of ceramic/stone/cement pellets for the are that they store the anemones. It kinda looks like this:

large-ceramic-pellets.jpg

I think they are like 2 inches max.

But anyway, I think that something this size/shape would be good for filtration and also for easily removing any anemones that are attached to them, since the pellets are much smaller than what is conventionally used.

Or you could just take a hammer to the rock to make it smaller lol

I asked a really good LFS on Saturday about my dilemma. He advised to use Seachem matrix media as gravel. Fantastic idea. I need to make sure it's the small gravel size. I'd use a cup of sand from my 34 to seed it. I know that even if I use an inch of it, the breeding rock flowers will suction themselves to the the glass below. Later I'll probably have to use the fake plastic razor to slowly edge them off. I

But the whole reason to use them is because it'll help the tank more than regular gravel and the babies will have something to secure themselves to, then I can more easily move them to the trays where I can watch them more closely. My concern is that it means certainly it would be more than what's necessary but since it's inert it shouldn't matter, right?

The area is 36 x 24, of course I'd put more in the trays.

Yesterday was wonderful. Few more things came so here's the pile.

003_zpsc6665c67.jpg

Now I'm not sure if I want in the first location away from the wall where the desk is......

013_zps4f5895ab.jpg

Or here because I can stick the emptying hose right out the door and the sun will not be directly on the tank at all. I still won't have it right in front of it because I will want room to walk around it. Not sure if I like this metalwork on the wall. It was in the bedroom. Think I'll stick it in the bedroom.

009_zpsfadf98cb.jpg

And I can go on the treadmill and watch my nems.

that is some major purchasing lol

I am thankful for my tax refund so I am not changing anything w/ how I file! Guess now I need to get the Mag 7 pump and I have to measure how much room my skimmer's going to need, shouldn't be much but then I can mark it on the glass for the 20g sump/fuge. I know when I made the 10g into the sump I should've made the pump section bigger. I believe I was told by Lifereef I should've made it wider and shorter but I don't necessarily want it shorter because I want some height so I can have more rocks. I'm going to start checking out some of the 20g fuge/sumps. This overflow is built into the corner already.

Need some research to 1) guesstimate how much rock I'll need and 2) figure out how many pieces of glass I need for the baffles.

I didn't even know that. My lfs told me to get this one when I told her what I was doing and my sister has a GIANT Reef Octopus for her 155 g. So I knew as a whole they get great reviews. Feel even better about it since your water is crystal clear.

Wow! That's some exciting equipment to get in the mail! I just love getting boxes of tank goodies and you sure were able to splurge with that tax refund. So awesome!

I really can't wait to see this get started because you have me so hooked on the rock flowers now. Yours are all so beautiful. I'd like to come steal a few :D

Well, my lfs and Deep Blue Professional don't know how to communicate well. Granted, it's still a beautiful tank and I didn't expect black silicone which is wonderul. This came peninsula style and wasn't supposed to be, was supposed to be rimless, and the stand was to have a side door which it does not. The front of the stand is the same as the back w/ 2 small doors and it looks like I have to take the top off to get the 20L fuge in there. There were 4 screws my friends and I could remove but then something, maybe wood pegs, is holding still on each end. My lfs called me back after I told her there was no side door telling me there was a lever by the handle but there is not. The overflow is so HUGE, it was to be in the corner. She said they don't make them in the corner for this size anymore. I think they could've shrunk back the size of the overflow. So it says it's reef ready and has a hole in the stand underneath the aquarium but there is NOT a door to slide the tank in. Better pics tomorrow.

001_zps46093002.jpg

006_zpsedc6c8a6.jpg

Wow, has this 20L shrunk????? Once I put the pump on the right side I'll have very little room for live rock. On the 10g I didn't put enough room for the water in the pump section so I'll give more on this one. Even at 8 inches on the right and then the screwdriver is the other baffle set, I don't have as much room for rock. To benefit the most I'd probably have to ask for rock pieces no bigger than grapefruits and pile them in. My thought now is where the overflow is up top, to each side there's like 5 inches of room, put a big rock on each side of the overflow to help a little more with filtration. Any suggestions are appreciated. Going to the Deep Blue Professional site to find a Contact us.

007_zps8b5b3c77.jpg

That's a bummer that there was so much wrong with the tank when it arrived. Are you thinking about returning it?

No, I'm not. They only charge $20 if it was rimless, I wasn't charged for rimless. My lfs just thought it was a corner overflow instead of really looking at the website she was ordering from. She should've just called me to tell me the differences. I'm still waiting to hear from the company about the stand, for the lever that doesn't exist. Here's a better pic of the tank. It's still a really nice looking tank.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/025_zps0f81883a.jpg.html'>025_zps0f81883a.jpg

Awesome setup so far! Bummer on the tank though. Rimless would have been cool.

Since it only cost $20 to add it then It has to just be siliconed on like FlCandy told me so I may have to learn about de-rimming.

I'm still waiting to hear from Deep Blue Professionals from my Sunday email. Today I forwarded a picture of the side view and under the stand to show DBP that there is no lever. I had to wait til I got my lfs email and I copied her on the email. I love how they're not getting back to me at all. If I don't hear from them by Sunday I'll have to get my lfs to reach out to them w/ order number and find out what's going on. I asked them also if they could pls tell me what is holding the top on after the 4 corner screws were loosened. Even if they wanted to avoid the first question they could still answer the 2nd. So far, their customer service sucks. And I really am one of those people that will give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry about all the tank issues. :( It would really frustrate me for so many things to be different than how they were ordered.

Archived